UKC Forums Pages (4): « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Show all 99 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- World Champs going Head to Head!!! (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928524462)

Posted by Preacher Tom on 12-24-2019 02:57 AM:

You hear so much about competition dogs striking off the leash, going a mile before they start hunting but that's not what I saw in these dogs. They did appear to be very independent but from what I could tell I would be more than proud to hunt either of these dogs. Congratulations to both men and their dogs. Thanks Josh for making it where so many could watch it. On of the best things to happen in the coon hound world in a while.

Posted by rick brocious on 12-24-2019 02:58 AM:

Congratulations to all involved especially and thanks Josh for bringing it to us .

Posted by 2ol2hunt on 12-24-2019 03:25 AM:

Enjoyed the show...a job well done

Posted by Ricochet17 on 12-24-2019 04:30 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by rick brocious
Congratulations to all involved especially and thanks Josh for bringing it to us .

2nd that. Thanks to everyone involved.

Posted by Allen / UKC on 12-24-2019 01:51 PM:

Nicely done Josh! Congrats to Kevin and Bank on winning the hunt!

Posted by Adam Wingler on 12-24-2019 02:44 PM:

I'm just glad this thread was approved by the self proclaimed UKC lead forum moderator so that it didn't disappear.

It was a cool show, watched it last night as I got rained out.

Posted by Dave Richards on 12-24-2019 03:55 PM:

Hunt

This hunt was a prime example of a cast of top coon hounds, where the winner was not determined until the last tree was scored. You can't get any closer than that, congratulations to both dogs and kudos to every one that made this hunt happen. Dave

Posted by N Williams on 12-24-2019 05:43 PM:

Very Nice Josh. I enjoyed that.

Posted by Eric Piatt on 12-24-2019 07:52 PM:

Great job Josh! Enjoyed it!!

Posted by Bolden1 on 12-24-2019 08:55 PM:

Awesome job Josh

Congrats

2005 ukc Wldntch Grntch Bolden & Turpins
Insane jane. Handler/past owner
2005 over all setwd over all winner nt.ch
Bentley high dollar Lucy
2006 akc national pup champion Drop Dead
Fred ( Handler/ past owner)
2008 Ukc Ky State Champion Grntch High X
Pectations ( Handler / past owner)
2009 akc Ky State Champion Grntch
Hardwood X Press ( handler/ trainer)

Gr.Nt.Ch Big D & Joplins Super Sally

Posted by Rocketman55 on 12-25-2019 11:01 PM:

Congrats to both hounds and their owners/handlers for bringing us a coon hunt that only a few can dream about. Both hounds di OK for hunting in late december when the coons are in their semi-hibernation.

Additional thanks to all participants and sponsors for giving of their time and money to let the rest of us enjoy this type of head to head competition.

A really enjoyed all of this. Hope it happens again in the future.

Glouster, Ohio 45732
Home To:
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Hang'em High Holly
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Rockets Top Gun.
Gr.Nt.Ch.Hooper Ridge Rocket
Gr.Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Dolly
Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Queen
Nt.Ch Raw Dawg Rowdy
PR Tree Banging Buddy
HOOPER RIDGE ENGLISH-POUND FOR POUND THEY ARE ONE TOUGH HOUND!!!!

Posted by Kenneth Tavares on 12-26-2019 12:10 AM:

Nice job!

1/24/02---5/21/12
Manning, South Carolina
Ph. 803-840-2013
If you text this number you won’t get a response unless you include your name.

💰💰Click blue link to check us out on Facebook💰💰
👉🏼 Tavares' First Class Black & Tans 👈🏼

Tone it down guys, or they will delete another good topic...

Posted by RunInMi on 12-27-2019 03:30 PM:

Den trees

I enjoyed the video and I am sure these men are packing some coon dogs. My question is why so many den trees. I understand its December and these coon may not move far from their den but I believe these dogs trailed some of these coon they treed quite a little ways. Were these coon out feeding and decided to call it a night early and headed back to their den and the dogs picked up the track while these coon were already back in bed? Did these coon hightail it to the den once they heard the dogs? What are everyone's thoughts on this? Certainly not trying to start anything bad here. Just curious.

Posted by Josh Michaelis on 12-27-2019 08:27 PM:

Re: Den trees

quote:
Originally posted by RunInMi
I enjoyed the video and I am sure these men are packing some coon dogs. My question is why so many den trees. I understand its December and these coon may not move far from their den but I believe these dogs trailed some of these coon they treed quite a little ways. Were these coon out feeding and decided to call it a night early and headed back to their den and the dogs picked up the track while these coon were already back in bed? Did these coon hightail it to the den once they heard the dogs? What are everyone's thoughts on this? Certainly not trying to start anything bad here. Just curious.

I have given up trying to understand the whims of raccoons, but what I do know, is that from about Thanksgiving till spring coon movement is pretty spotty in the Midwest. You'll tree em like crazy for an hour or two out of every night, and when they aren't moving you'll go a mile and a half to tree a den.

Posted by Preacher Tom on 12-28-2019 04:06 AM:

Re: Re: Den trees

quote:
Originally posted by Josh Michaelis
I have given up trying to understand the whims of raccoons, but what I do know, is that from about Thanksgiving till spring coon movement is pretty spotty in the Midwest. You'll tree em like crazy for an hour or two out of every night, and when they aren't moving you'll go a mile and a half to tree a den.

Josh this is so true. I went tonight and made four turnouts in places I regularly tree coons. Dogs hunted deep and thorough. In three hours never struck a track or made a layup. Now my dogs are not the caliber that were in this hunt but I am not used to not treeing a coon. 3 hours and I came home. Really didn't see anything moving.

Posted by Dave Richards on 12-28-2019 04:48 AM:

Tom Wood

Dang, guess I should be happy, turned loose 2 times treed 2 singles, home by 10pm. Lazy Boy time , I am just a 2 to 3 drop per night hunter these days. Lol. Dave

Posted by Rolin Blues on 12-28-2019 04:13 PM:

Josh

Thx for getting this hunt put together & for doing a fine job presenting it to us.

I would totally agree with coon movement in my area being extra tough this time of year. Made more den trees & bluff dens in the last 3 weeks than i've made in years. Dropped dogs in spots i always tree coon in, but they just don't seem to be moving good or head straight to dens like never before. Had several deer hunters tell me they have seen coon laying dead, so maybe distemper or some other disease is taking it's toll on our population too. Take care, Ron.

Posted by Josh Michaelis on 12-29-2019 04:58 PM:

After the hunt we treed several coons with Bank and a pup out of Emmy and Big Money.

The last two weeks have been the best coon hunting I have ever seen in our area. The worst night we have had was 6 singles by 11 o'clock. One night we treed 14 by 10:30.

We get snow pack or a few cold days and nights it will be like someone just turned them off. Lots of folks think it is easy up here all the time, but it isn't. There are lots times when treeing a coon is hard to do.

Posted by AAThoundhunter on 11-24-2020 08:56 PM:

2020 Showdown?

Josh,

Is there any plans to get the 2020 world champions together for a showdown?

Posted by delta nightlife on 11-25-2020 01:49 AM:

Wouldn’t mind seeing another round myself

Posted by 2ol2hunt on 11-25-2020 02:47 PM:

Works for me too! Lol

Posted by Josh Michaelis on 11-26-2020 04:16 PM:

Re: 2020 Showdown?

quote:
Originally posted by AAThoundhunter
Josh,

Is there any plans to get the 2020 world champions together for a showdown?

While I would love to do this again the logistics of it is not easy. Mostly it comes down to time and money. Lane and Kevin basically did this last year for only their expenses paid. Our advertisers were fantastic, but there were several people that committed and then backed out last minute leaving the hunters and myself to foot the bill. While I have no doubt Scott and Zach would gladly do it, we would have to find a place closer to the both of them and get the time to do it. With my schedule and theirs that will prove to be difficult.

So long story short, the answer is that it is unlikely, but we will try. Even if it is not those two we will still try and find a high level heads up match between two well known dogs to film for this year's finale.

The filming for the show starts tonight, and we are hoping to start airing episodes again in two weeks if not earlier.

Posted by honalieh on 11-28-2020 05:50 AM:

Re: Hunting champions

quote:
Originally posted by wart
Pca hunted Smith's hardrock and hillbilly Mac for the public 35 years ago both were champions in there division and world hunt

I remember this. They went on tour!!!

Posted by AAThoundhunter on 11-28-2020 02:59 PM:

Heads up

I think a Venus and shock matchup would be interesting for us...