UKC Forums Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »
Show all 51 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- Permethrin - 10 for flea control !! Cheap control!! (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=375672)

Posted by Danny Glista on 09-12-2010 02:35 PM:

Permethrin - 10 for flea control !! Cheap control!!

Well just thought I would share the use of this product for flea, tick and mange might control to anyone interested and has problems with these dang pest!! Once again I battled fleas in the hot weather this summer in my large puppy pen. Fleas and ticks where once again out of control so I went and tried many products and this one without a doubt performed the best out of all others tried including Tempo Plus that cost a fortune at the farm supply place here by the house. Tried seven dust and Ortho flea control for yards, even went as far as spraying Dawn dish soap water on the whole pen. For $18 ( 32 ozs. bottle ) of Permethrin 10 you can spray your kennels, dog houses, yard and anywhere else the pest are found. Makes 25 gallon of sprayable liguid that you can spray from any cheap hand pump sprayer. What I did was add 50 foot of hose to my 30 Gal. yard sprayer that also has a hand sprayer attached to it so I could get in my pup pens to spray the grass and all areas around the pup runs. 2 days and no sign of fleas or ticks. Killed them dead!! It can also be used and mixed for a dosage to spray or use as a dip for your young dogs or older ones. Do not put on pups under 12 weeks of age. The dosage for spray or dip is 8 ozs. for 12.5 gal of water. Makes 50 gal. for all 32 ozs. of product. This stuff is a great product when used as stated in directions. Give it a try and I think you'll like the results. Kills adults and larva of the annoying pest!! Permethrin is used in flea control products for pets and also in the main ingriedient in foggers used in control of fleas in homes. Just a bit of info for all! Use and mix as directed and DO Not mix stronger than stated on directions. It doesn't make it work better and is not needed to get the job done. All I can say is after years of having hounds, best product I have found that really does the job!! Later, Danny G.

Posted by longshot on 09-12-2010 02:49 PM:

Danny ,I've used it for a couple of years and had better luck with it than the Bayer stuff and it is dirt cheap..

Here's a link to another thread that I wrote about Permethrin a while back for anyone that wants to read further about.

http://www.abtcha.net./forum/viewtopic.php?t=697

Posted by Danny Glista on 09-12-2010 03:08 PM:

Mark

Thanks for the other link. I seem to always have problems in my large pup runs in the heat of summer and I've narrowed the problem down to not throwing the bedding out of the dog houses I have in them until I make sure the fleas have not nested and laid eggs and are breeding in them. From now on I'll spray the inside of dog houses with Permethrin 10 after the pups are old enough to get in the kennel and kill what's in them and then change bedding but ya have to treat them again in 2 weeks to make sure if any eggs where present you kill the larva which 10 will do. 10 will not keep eggs from hatching and become larva. I use pine shavings and have always put the old shavings along the perimeter of the pup runs to help keep the mud to a minimum when ya get a bunch of hard rain. What a major mistake I made not making sure the fleas where out of the bedding. Most stuff can kill the fleas but not many products kill the larva and eggs. Eggs in the boxes, change bedding and put old bedding along fence perimeter = headaches in the future for sure.

Posted by Skull Bones on 09-12-2010 04:39 PM:

I raise cattle so I've been use'in it for years.I did'nt know they made a dog type though.I mix it with burnt oil and desiel fuel and spray the whole kennel.The oil is good treatment for the wood in the kennel and makes it stick to everything.Not a insect/bug of anykind comes nowhere near the kennel.

Monroe,N.C. 28110
704-507-0673

"IN MEMORY OF"- NtCh PKC-Ch Little Miss Bighead "Kate"-KEEP'EM TREED ABOVE US OL'GIRL
GrChNtCh Skull Bones Sassy Aftr "Midnite" ( GrNtCh PKC-GCh Timber Magic Victor x NtCh Paynes Black Diann)
GrCh Skull Bones Set'em Up "Banjo" (GrNtCh Dark Hollow Slam x 'PR Horn's Set'em Up Lady)
'PR' Skull Bones Light'n "Lilly" (Ch 'PR' Smithurst's Medicine Man x Ch 'PR' Smithurst Midnight Babe)
NtCh Tenn Screamin "Molly" (NtCh Ch Sundown Ragin Moonshine x 'PR' Tn Wheeling Maggie) Half owner with Brian Kelly

Posted by Buckshot on 09-12-2010 05:27 PM:

Danny, did you take you 2 years to take my advice? LOL

quote:
Originally posted by Buckshot
Danny you can get some Permethrin - 10 concentrate and mix up and spray down.

It's also safe to use on dogs (check the label for pup's age)

You can buy it at most feed stores as it is also used on livestock and livestock pens.

I told you this stuff works. Glad you finally tried it.

http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthrea...threadid=222647

Posted by Danny Glista on 09-12-2010 07:43 PM:

Buckshot!!

I guess I did!! Great stuff to say the least!! Any more good info I need to know about!! Just fill me in!!

Posted by Saddle Creek on 09-12-2010 10:01 PM:

PERMETHRIN is a very good product. ADVANTIX which is made by BAYER contains PERMETHRIN & IMIDACLOPRID. I have been mixing a tree & shrub which contains 1.47% IMIDACLOPRID with PERMETHRIN. I have been getting good results controlling fleas & ticks. The Tree & Shrub I have been using is made by FERTI-LOME,which does not contain fertilizer. I can no longer find the BAYER that does not contain fertilizer. This mixture is close to the ADVANTIX but is alot cheaper.

Greg Lavender

Posted by Buckshot on 09-12-2010 11:39 PM:

Re: Buckshot!!

quote:
Originally posted by Danny Glista
I guess I did!! Great stuff to say the least!! Any more good info I need to know about!! Just fill me in!!

Don't sway away from the blue dogs - LOL

Posted by Melanie H. on 10-31-2010 09:38 PM:

Does anyone have the formula for breaking this down.. I only want to make.. say 23 ounces of it.. Not gallons..

I think I have it broke down, but want to see what other people come up with

They want 8ounces for 12.5 gallons.. or 16oz for 25 gallons..

You've only got 3 choices in life, give in, give up, or give it all you got.

Posted by l.lyle on 12-14-2011 05:05 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by ladycathunter
Does anyone have the formula for breaking this down.. I only want to make.. say 23 ounces of it.. Not gallons..

I think I have it broke down, but want to see what other people come up with

They want 8ounces for 12.5 gallons.. or 16oz for 25 gallons..

There are 128 oz in a gallon. If you round that down to 125 oz and you round what you want to make up to 25 oz then you want to make 1/5 of a gallon. A fifth at the likker store is a liter which is 0.2 gallons instead of our good old American quart, which is a quarter of a gallon. so 16 oz permethrin per 25 gal water is the desired rate. That means you need 0.13 oz of permethrin to your liter bottle. You would need 1 and 1/3 shots. Or you could use one jigger which would be a tiny fraction stronger. If you don't have a shotglass or a jigger and you saved a syringe from your 8 way shots, then 44cc would be a jigger so 14 squirts of a 3cc syringe would be about right for your liter. Please correct me if I am wrong. It would probably be easier to put your thumb over the bottle of permethrin and do two dollops though.

The easiest would be to pour a quarter of the bottle of permethrin in six gallons , stir well and get a likker store liter bottle full out of it and spray the rest around your house or give it away.

Posted by TeamTreed.com on 05-03-2012 11:30 PM:

BOTH FOR BEST RESULTS...

I USE BOTH THE BAYER TREE AND SHRUB AND THE PERMETHRIN 10.
BOTH OF THESE I PURCHASE AT THE LOCAL TRACTOR SUPPLY.

I APPLY MINE DIRECTLY JUST LIKE THE OTHER TOPICAL TYPES OF FLEA AND TICK MEDS.

ON THE BAYER, I USE 1/4CC FOR EVERY POUND THE DOG WEIGHS.
YOU'LL NEED TO PICK UP A 20CC SYRINGE FOR ABOUT $2.
I JUST SPREAD THE HAIR BETWEEN MY HOUNDS SHOULDER BLADES AND SQUIRT THIS STUFF DOWN THE BACK TO THE RUMP.

AFTER APPLYING THE BAYER I GET A MUCH SMALLER SYRINGE AND APPLY THE PERMETHRIN 10% AT A DOSAGE OF 1/2CC FOR EVERY 10 LBS THE DOG WEIGHS. YOU WON'T NEED NO WHERE NEAR AS MUCH THIS.

I WEAR RUBBER GLOVES AND RUB THE ENTIRE DOSE IN VERY WELL AFTER APPLYING. THIS DOSE LAST ALMOST A MONTH. ITS AS CLOSE TO THE COMMERCIAL FLEA AND TICK MEDS YOU CAN GET. THE REASON ITS MORE LIQUID THAN THE COMMERCIAL TYPE IS THE PERCENTAGE OF THE MAIN INGREDIENTS IS LESS IN THE BAYER AND PERMETHRIN.

I AM ON MY SECOND MONTH AND I'VE ONLY PULLED ONE DEAD TICK OFF OF ONE OF MY DOGS AND THEY HAVE BEEN HUNTED VERY HARD DURING THIS TIME. I WISH I CAN SAY THAT FOR MYSELF...I'VE PULLED AT LEAST 10 OFF OF ME PERSONALLY DURING THIS SAME PERIOD.

THE MATH BEHIND THESE DOSAGES HAS BEEN VERIFIED WITH SEVERAL LOCAL VETS AS WELL AS HEAVILY RESEARCHED ON THE WEB. THE SPRAY MIX OF THE PERMETHRIN 10 WORKS WELL AROUND THE KENNEL AND IN THE BOXES. YOU JUST HAVE TO SPRAY TWICE A WEEK TO REALLY CONTROL THE TICKS AND FLEAS.

IF ANYONE HAS ANYTHING ELSE TO ADD FEEL FREE.
I HOPE THIS HELPS SOMEONE
THANKS
RANDY
WWW.TEAMTREED.COM

859-630-5987 CALL OR TEXT

IN CONTROL COON HOUND TRAINING
$400 PER MONTH (OBEDIENCE AND FIELD TRAINING)

WE USE AND SUPPORT DOGTRA SYSTEMS AND WE ARE A PROUD RETAILER OF SUNSPOT LITES

Posted by red whiskey on 05-04-2012 12:04 AM:

i mix 1oz to 35oz of water and spray my clothes with it or sumtimes just rt on when wearing them= not a tick,,, there makin clothes treated with permethrin now but only last i think 6 washes

Posted by poolecw on 05-04-2012 12:59 AM:

Good stuff

I've been using that stuff for a couple years now. It seems to do a good job. If you read the directions, there is a mixing ratio for applying to kennel premises. There is also a mixing ratio for applying directly to the dogs. I've done that a couple times.

My hunting buddy is a pest control guy. He uses TALSTAR EZ granules for customers with flea and tick problems. You broadcast it in your yard (or around you dog pen). Its some pretty good stuff. I alternate the Talstar with Permethrin as fleas develop immunities to pesticides over a couple generations of hatchings.

Posted by old ben on 05-04-2012 02:28 AM:

iam sold on it also works for flies

Anderson County Coon Club
Lance White
865-919-7234

Posted by robert whitten on 05-04-2012 02:31 AM:

i've benn using permethrin 10% for years and with excellant results . i spray the kennels and dip the dogs and myself with it lol . after i spray the dogs down i use a product called MARTIN'S I.G. REGULATOR . it's an insect growth regulator that i mix in with the permetherin to spray a perimiter around the kennels . any flea tick fly ect. ect. that comes in contact with it goes steral and doesn't reach adult egg laying or biting stage thus breaking the cycle and preventing further outbreaks .

Posted by byrd, lance on 05-04-2012 03:30 AM:

I use permethrin all the time. It is the toughest insect killer on the market. It has a re-entry time of 24 hours (rei). When my employees use it they are in a tyvek suit with a chemical respirator. I also thought it was a restricted use insecticide. Just be careful when using allot. Lance

Posted by chuck barham on 05-16-2012 07:21 PM:

Can you use it on a cat (And don't say kill the cat) LOL.

Posted by VaBirdDog on 05-16-2012 08:07 PM:

HIGHLY TOXIC TO CATS AND FISH!! so if you do want to kill a cat... haha all labels I've ever seen say not to use on animal that could even come into contact with cats. We've used it around the farm for as long as I can remember works better than any of the overpriced junk from the vet. We mix 1.3 oz of the 10% concentrate per gallon that we spray directly on the dogs. Most of the permethrin sprays marketed for dogs are actually a .50 concentration. The above ratio is pretty much a .10 concentration and works just fine.

Posted by H. L. Meyer on 05-16-2012 11:43 PM:

Mr. Glista

Permethrin .10% is one of the components in Sergeants Skip-Flee & Tick shampoo for dogs, Been using it fore a long long time a gentleman from Sc. told me how to make a sprayer out of a hot watter heater and air compressor and I have been using that product to spray my whole yard, do not have any flees ticks or fire ants at all.

Posted by Cleo on 05-19-2012 09:52 AM:

If I were gonna put the 10% in a 16 oz spray bottle to use on the dogs how many cc's would I need? I divided the 1.3 oz by the gal formula but I want to see if I'm close.

Thank y'all for this. We are having a time here in SC with the **** fleas and ticks. With pups around I am so scared of making them sick but Lord knows the fleas aint making them healthy!

~A man is only as good as his word~

Proud home to;

'PR' Kentucky River Fly Again (Kentucky River Rowdy frozen semen)
ACHA CHT x3 Broken Roads Little Texas (Kentucky River Rowdy x Houses Lipper's Hope)
CH Broken Roads Southern Stylish Boom (Kentucky River Rowdy x Houses Lipper's Hope)
Broken Road's Rowdy Lil Miss (Kentucky River Rowdy x Houses Lipper's Hope)
Broken Road's Meabie I will (Lipper's Rooster x Missy)
Broken Roads IMA Boomer2 (UKC NATL GRCH GRNTCH Honest Abe x Broken Roads Southern Stylish Boom
~~~~~Watch out!~~~~~
They just might make an IMPACT!

and the girls...Punkin and Tater!

Gone by never forgotten ~ Fly high my beautiful angels
~ GRCH GNTCH PKC SC Toucan Sam
~CH Toucan's Ugly Betty
~ CCH CH Southforks September Rain
~ Martin's Daisy JJ (what a beautiful litter you left behind)
~ Luke, the lab who brought us so many doves and ducks over the years
~ UKC GRCH,ACHA CH 2014 LWCH 2014 2 x's ACHA YOUTH WCH AKC CH AKC CH 'PR' Kentucky River Mundar ~ (Kentucky River Rowdy frozen semen) DNA Profiled ~ Fly high, old friend.

"The WILL of God will never take you where the GRACE of God can not protect you!"

Posted by Cleo on 05-19-2012 09:53 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by ScottFowler
bumb ubm!

What does that mean?????

~A man is only as good as his word~

Proud home to;

'PR' Kentucky River Fly Again (Kentucky River Rowdy frozen semen)
ACHA CHT x3 Broken Roads Little Texas (Kentucky River Rowdy x Houses Lipper's Hope)
CH Broken Roads Southern Stylish Boom (Kentucky River Rowdy x Houses Lipper's Hope)
Broken Road's Rowdy Lil Miss (Kentucky River Rowdy x Houses Lipper's Hope)
Broken Road's Meabie I will (Lipper's Rooster x Missy)
Broken Roads IMA Boomer2 (UKC NATL GRCH GRNTCH Honest Abe x Broken Roads Southern Stylish Boom
~~~~~Watch out!~~~~~
They just might make an IMPACT!

and the girls...Punkin and Tater!

Gone by never forgotten ~ Fly high my beautiful angels
~ GRCH GNTCH PKC SC Toucan Sam
~CH Toucan's Ugly Betty
~ CCH CH Southforks September Rain
~ Martin's Daisy JJ (what a beautiful litter you left behind)
~ Luke, the lab who brought us so many doves and ducks over the years
~ UKC GRCH,ACHA CH 2014 LWCH 2014 2 x's ACHA YOUTH WCH AKC CH AKC CH 'PR' Kentucky River Mundar ~ (Kentucky River Rowdy frozen semen) DNA Profiled ~ Fly high, old friend.

"The WILL of God will never take you where the GRACE of God can not protect you!"

Posted by hershberger on 06-05-2012 05:16 AM:

tt

Posted by ajsdad on 06-07-2012 01:45 PM:

Tried it on my dogs last night and it's the best stuff I have ever used! Talked to my sister last night and she knew of a lady that made too strong of a mixture on her anklebiter and it killed the dog

Posted by larry_hicks_jr on 06-16-2012 09:33 AM:

Whats good to treat pups under 12 weeks .
Pups got fleas and I have never had fleas in the pens.

Posted by DA CHEMIST on 06-26-2012 04:46 AM:

Good for flies. Tags contain 10% Permethrin. Permethrin will get fleas, flies, ticks & lice..