UKC Forums
Show all 21 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- Part hounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928523562)

Posted by Preacher Tom on 10-25-2019 12:32 AM:

Part hounds

Guess this is for us old-timers, but does anyone else miss the time when you would go hunting and somebody would have a half hound or maybe 3/4 hound and those dogs would tree coon well. With all the health problems we seem to have I would kinda like to have one of those dogs today. Seems like crossbred dogs are healthier. I'm sure some on here have never seen the dog I'm talking about.

Posted by nick miller on 10-25-2019 01:15 AM:

What types of non hounds would be used to mix in?

Posted by Reuben on 10-25-2019 01:24 AM:

The larger type Mt cur works pretty good...

There is no doubt mix breeds are healthier than purebreds...they say it is due to genetic diversity...the more inbred a dog is the higher the risk...

Posted by Preacher Tom on 10-25-2019 01:55 AM:

Saw some that were mixed with airdales, birddogs, and some collie mixed. These dogs probably weren't natural tree dogs but learned it from having game knocked out to them. What we called cur dogs 50 years ago weren't what the cur dog is today. This was in western Oklahoma.

Posted by Reuben on 10-25-2019 02:04 AM:

In my early beginnings a cur was another name for a mutt...at least in my neck of the woods and I grew up in south/southeast Texas...

Posted by Dave Richards on 10-25-2019 04:06 AM:

Part hounds

As some have stated, there were hound/bird dog crosses, hound / fox hound crosses and some Heinz 57 crosses, along with cur and fiest crosses back in the day. A lot of hound to hound crosses of different hound breeds, some if these crosses were dogs in the foundation stock of all the recognized Hound breeds of today. You can still see throw backs to certain dog breeds like bird dog, fox hound, etc in our dogs of today, at least I can. Dave

Posted by Al Medcalf on 10-25-2019 03:36 PM:

I've got some Plott X Mt. Cur crosses that I like. A friend of mine has a Mt. Cur X Walker X Bird dog that is a good little dog. I had a couple of Plott X Feist crosses that were good ones, died of old age here.

Posted by Prime Time 29 on 10-25-2019 04:06 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Preacher Tom
Saw some that were mixed with airdales, birddogs, and some collie mixed. These dogs probably weren't natural tree dogs but learned it from having game knocked out to them. What we called cur dogs 50 years ago weren't what the cur dog is today. This was in western Oklahoma.

My grandpa preached to me for years that a hound crossed on an airedale was the way to go for coon hunting. Said his best dogs growing up were all half and half or 3/4 hound and 1/4 airedale. He laughed at me for pushing purebreds.

He even talked about one purebred airedale that was a nice coon dog.

GRNITECHHOF PKC CHAMPION ‘PR' PRIME TIME OUTLAW JESSE JAMES HTX3
2019 6th Place UKC World Championship
2019 Purina Race National Leader

Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything!!!
–- Wyatt Earp

People accuse me of being color blind. The truth is I will hunt red ones, blue ones, black and white ones, yellow ones, black and tan ones, or even brindle ones; Just as long as they are English!

Posted by Reuben on 10-25-2019 04:09 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Al Medcalf
I've got some Plott X Mt. Cur crosses that I like. A friend of mine has a Mt. Cur X Walker X Bird dog that is a good little dog. I had a couple of Plott X Feist crosses that were good ones, died of old age here.

X2 on Plott X Mt. Cur crosses...I like them and will breed my dogs that way again...

Posted by mhardy on 10-25-2019 04:14 PM:

one of the best coon treers I ever hunted with was half air dale and half hound. ole freck could put them coons up but he could also make a deer change zip codes. just sit down on a log and he would come back in about five minutes and go back to coon hunting..

Posted by Rolin Blues on 10-25-2019 04:47 PM:

Dad

Had half B&T/German Shepard plus half Redbone/Bull dog back in 50's that treed a lot of coon. Last one was a kill dog deluxe. Then, we got a true pb Bluetick (grade) dog in 1962, that got me hunting Blueticks today. The REAL DEAL that i would love to have back today. Sounded like 'hog squealing' on track, but 1sst long smooth bawl, you could tree him. Bred 4 generations off him as single reg. English before his line ended.

Also, back in '98, took daughter of SR Chief on 31 hr. round trip to Miss. to be bred. Had 1 pup servive to make coon dog. 6 yrs. later, when i dna'd her for SS litter, she wouldn't pass from that stud. Only thing we could figure out was bird dog in next pen must have got her thru kennel fence before we left. He had already died, so couldn't dna to confirm!!! Take care, Ron.

Posted by Roy Grant on 10-25-2019 05:14 PM:

Pure Bred..Walkers have ticks, All other breeds have white..just sayin.

Posted by delta slough on 10-26-2019 12:42 AM:

Just curious, but where in Mississippi did you get your female bred? You dont need to name anyone, just the town. I can guess the rest.....Thanks,Jr. Steelman

Posted by wadepardue on 10-26-2019 01:01 AM:

Mr. Steelman

In 1998 If I had to guess I would probally say Starkville, Ms.

Posted by Vic Stoll on 10-27-2019 10:46 PM:

First dog I ever owned was 1/2 English Redtick and 1/2 Lord knows what. Was given to me by our neighbor whose son got me started Coon Hunting. I had heard the Lord knows what part had some redbone mingled in. Little dog would tree anything that climbed and was death on the rats around the farm. Grandma would sneak him in at night and he would sleep with her now and again. Little dog was a meat dog, open on the ground, chop all the way. Medium nosed and a tree dog deluxe. His mom was a direct daughter of Meeks John. When he was just a pup Ed Bates told me he guaranteed he would tree. Ole Ed was spot on!

Tree ole Pete!

Gone but not forgotten:
Nt Ch Fanny's Midnite Blue Annie - aka Sodie Pop R.I.P. - I will miss you old girl

Nt Ch Becky’s Midnite Blue Hank - R.I.P. Old Boy, thank you for the memories

Gr Nt Ch S&E's Midnite Lite Blue Snow (Co-Owned with my good friend Harry Eidenier) - We had a blast following you ole girl!

Posted by wart on 10-27-2019 11:04 PM:

Cross bred

There's a family in Ohio I think Amish that breeds border collie and plott mix I guarantee you breed a border collie to a good tree dog and a few pups will make meat dogs 25 yr ago a man bred a border collie female that would tree squirrel to his mountain cur male and several pups turned out

Posted by Nick B on 10-27-2019 11:48 PM:

Re: Dad

quote:
Originally posted by Rolin Blues
Had half B&T/German Shepard plus half Redbone/Bull dog back in 50's that treed a lot of coon.

I had a half blood hound and what I believe was half German Shepard. I was not a coon hunter at the time but had been enough to recognize a dog that was treed. that dog woke my wife and I up one night with a bark I had never heard from him before. She asked “what is going on”. I said I think he’s treed. She had no clue what I was talking about. I went out to see what the ruckus was about. Sure enough, he had treed a coon right by the house. I told him good boy and went back to bed. My wife thought I was going out there to stop him. Ha ha. He treed several after that.

Posted by Skeeter on 10-28-2019 01:50 AM:

Back when coon hunting helped pay the bills, the old timers had their own recipes. My granddaddy always told me that a little bit of bull dog always helped. One of the best coon dogs that I ever saw had whiskers like a Airedale and he was the real deal. That was also the time period that they bred to the best coon dog in the neighborhood regardless of color or breed. All they were worried about was making the local fur buyer grin.

Posted by Preacher Tom on 10-28-2019 01:59 AM:

Really thinking about finding an old reproducing walker female and breeding to an airedale. Might be a waste but might work.

Posted by high ridge on 10-28-2019 03:13 AM:

Airedale’s crossed on hounds works great. There is one line of dogs that won a lot in all registries that when I was a kid in a holler I saw the cross being made on the walker gyp to an Airedale male. From that cross came a super nice Preacher colored gyp that not only was a coon dog but reproducer. From her many many $$$ have been won along with many many titles.

Posted by Sonny Phipps on 10-28-2019 04:00 AM:

I know of a elkhound / blue Heeler cross that will tree as many coon in a night as the highest powered dog u know of! He don’t tree very hard, but when he parks he has a coon PERIOD .