UKC Forums
Show all 9 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- My pup is 5 1/2 months old, should i show him a caged coon yet? (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928340191)

Posted by D.Smith on 09-27-2013 06:46 PM:

My pup is 5 1/2 months old, should i show him a caged coon yet?

My pup is 5 1/2 months old, should i show him a caged coon yet? I have been creating drags through a field and he is staying on trail pretty good. Once he gets to the tree and the drag(skinned coon) he goes nuts and starts baying and trying to climb the tree and just showing alot of interest and aggression towards the coon hide. Is he ready to see a live coon yet?

Posted by POTOMAC on 09-27-2013 06:54 PM:

Rum your drags and just put scent on the tree and make sure he is not treeing cause he sees the hide!! How big is he? How mature is he ? I wouldn't show him a coon at all in a cage especially if he is trailing and treeing by scent only and not sight! And if he is and he is big enough and meture enough I would wet the coon down and cut it loose and then cast him as normal without seeing it and if he ran and treed it then I would shoot it in the head so it's 99% dead when it hit the ground and I would let him chew on it and if he is ready start hunting him for an hour or so maybe twice a week just mainly getting him used to being alone and hunting alone !!! Sounds like he has the right tools just have to let him develop at his own pace and don't try to push him to fast and be patient!! Sounds like you have a nice prospect and you don't want to set him back by making a mistake or pushing him to fast!! Good luck 571-233-5819

Posted by D.Smith on 09-27-2013 07:04 PM:

He is about 35 lbs right now, he is still pretty playfull, so i wouldnt say he is to mature yet. Also when he is on the drag trail he will look up in the tree tops every now and then. Is that a bad thing?

Posted by POTOMAC on 09-27-2013 07:54 PM:

Well if he is looking it can be but if he is winding and smelling that can be a good thing!! Just do not get him in the habit of using his eyes and not his nose!!! You know he has it in hisself to tree cause you have seen him do it!! So no more looking at anything related to a coon in a tree!!if he likes the coon hide you can start hiding it from him and let him trail it and find it and chew on it for awhile it's a game to him and he has to use his nose to find it!!! And of course at 5 months old he is still playing he is a pup!! But some will start at that age but usually you can tell if they are ready or not!! But if you have a coon trapped then just wet the coon down. And cut it loose where the pup can't see it and if he tracks it and trees it you can pull him off the tree and praise him some and leave the coon alive or knock it out to him but just make sure it's dead so it doesn't hurt the pup !! You want the pup to build his or her confidence !! And if the pup doesn't do anything with the scent where you turned the coon out then don't worry about it he is young and has a lot of time yet!!! But again I don't show mine any!!! And a lot of people do these things and they are just trying to help there pup into becoming the oneinamilioj that everyone wants but simple things can cause problems!!

Posted by D.Smith on 09-27-2013 08:03 PM:

Thanks alot, this has helped!

Posted by Ed Ashley on 09-28-2013 01:37 AM:

Sure, just don't get discouraged if he doesn't want to fool with it.

Posted by Ed Ashley on 09-28-2013 01:40 AM:

When laying a track, dogs will follow your tracks instead of the coon scent. So when you lay those hard to follow tracks, just remember, he maybe tracking you to the coon or hide.

Posted by Bigridge kennel on 09-29-2013 05:38 PM:

Oh yeah let him bark at a caged coon just don't let him get bit by it . I showed mine at 3 1/2 or 4 months

Pr' bigridge ole dan
Pr' Ralph's red hawk addy
Nt.ch. Reece's show no mercy
bigridge bear crazy blue
Pr' bigridge diesel

Posted by PrimetimeHuntin on 09-29-2013 05:58 PM:

I would but just dont let the coon bite him. And if I was you i wouldn't put the coon in one of those rolling cages because this may get the dog to run armadillos. I would bring the coon in a cage to some woods and let the dog bark at it in the cage for a few minutes then release the coon and let it run out of sight of the dog then wait a minute or so and then cut loose the dog. Once he trees the coon shoot it down DEAD! and let him chew on it. You should probably wait until he turns about a year and then shoot him down a coon alive, just hurt him enough how it cant run away and let the dog fight it but make sure it dont hurt the dog too bad. Doing this will make the dog want a coon more but if it injures the dog too bad the dog may get afraid of coon.