UKC Forums
Show all 5 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- Sportsmanship (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928519360)

Posted by Ed Hillenbrand on 06-16-2019 11:02 PM:

Sportsmanship

I stopped competition hunting 20 years ago. Too many handlers were bending or breaking the rules and it was not enjoyable. I used to joke that it would be awful to get a dog that should be in the hunts. I reluctantly started back in the hunts six months ago. What a change! I have not seen a bad actor in the small hunts or the big hunts. Handlers are finding coon when their dog is not on the tree. Handlers are quick to minus their own dog when it needs it. Everyone is letting the hounds speak for themselves. It is like a pleasure hunt every weekend. I am seeing really nice dogs and meeting really great people. I look forward to the weekends.

Posted by CHEWBACH on 06-16-2019 11:32 PM:

keep hunting! your mind will change in awhile.

Posted by H DOG on 06-16-2019 11:55 PM:

That's good

Posted by johnny reb on 06-17-2019 07:15 PM:

Re: Sportsmanship

quote:
Originally posted by Ed Hillenbrand
I stopped competition hunting 20 years ago. Too many handlers were bending or breaking the rules and it was not enjoyable. I used to joke that it would be awful to get a dog that should be in the hunts. I reluctantly started back in the hunts six months ago. What a change! I have not seen a bad actor in the small hunts or the big hunts. Handlers are finding coon when their dog is not on the tree. Handlers are quick to minus their own dog when it needs it. Everyone is letting the hounds speak for themselves. It is like a pleasure hunt every weekend. I am seeing really nice dogs and meeting really great people. I look forward to the weekends.

Glad you’re having a good time. As far as Chewbachs statement yes you will have a bad cast for one reason or another from time to time. The good will outweigh the bad keep on hunting and enjoying yourself.

Posted by BigContry on 06-17-2019 09:27 PM:

Re: Sportsmanship

quote:
Originally posted by Ed Hillenbrand

Glad to see you getting bad in the hunts. I just got back into it about 5 or 6 years ago. Out of all the hunts I been in, I only had two hunts that weren't enjoyable. I will not go into any details, because the good out weights the bad greatly. I would say that is very good odds. I have made some friends for life through these hunts.