UKC Forums Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »
Show all 74 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- What's your definition of a truly good, open, cold trailing hound? (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928518981)

Posted by DL NH on 06-02-2019 02:46 PM:

What's your definition of a truly good, open, cold trailing hound?

Many people think they have a good cold trailing hound. Do you? If so what convinces you that you do? Maybe you don't even want one? I love to here a true cold trailing hound do its job right! What say the rest of you?

Posted by sleepy head on 06-02-2019 02:56 PM:

The length of tracks has been my best measuring stick, distance traveled from strike to tree

Posted by Chad spencer on 06-02-2019 03:05 PM:

Cold track or hot track I just like to hear a dog that opens honest on a coon opens good on the ground and trees the coon. I thought that’s what a hound was intended to do but I guess after following these things for 30+ years I could be wrong.

Posted by Chuck Allen on 06-02-2019 06:48 PM:

Chad the best thing to do is to hunt the type of dog you like to hunt , nothing else really matters.

When the law of the land becomes unjust outlaws will rise to take their place in history.

Posted by pamjohnson on 06-02-2019 08:49 PM:

I have enjoyed hunting cold nosed dogs already. A couple things that can determine the difference would be how far a dog hunts out to find there tracks or length of track also some dogs by voice. A few things to consider would be coon population, weather, competition hunting.
If ya have a great coon population or don't mind walking a little further and have a fair amount of ground you may not want a colder nosed dog.
If ya have extremely cold weather do you really want to stand there and freeze till a cold nose dog works out an older track.
Competition hunting is not for the cold nosed dog. Ideally ya don't want a dog taking more than 15 at most to get treed.

Posted by yadkintar on 06-02-2019 09:05 PM:

Most people confuse cold nose dogs with track speed. I breed dogs that can run a cold track they might be a little gamey when young but they can jump a cold track in this jungle and sometimes when the rut is in you might run an old boar coon a mile before they make him climb. They might be 200 yards between looses. Slow don’t mean cold nose most times it means stupid !!!

Tar

Posted by Dave Richards on 06-02-2019 10:04 PM:

Tar

I am going to agree with Tar on this subject, cold nosed is not about slow tracking. The truly cold nosed dogs that I have seen could flat run a track that pretty good dogs could not even smell, tree and show you the coon. I love that kind of dog, sadly you just don't see many like that anymore. Dave

Posted by Preacher Tom on 06-02-2019 10:09 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Allen
Chad the best thing to do is to hunt the type of dog you like to hunt , nothing else really matters.

I hunt quite often with Chuck often and would say his dogs are a little more like the old fashioned dogs we used to hunt. Not everyone would like them but they tree coons and I think Chuck enjoys his dogs as much or more than anyone I know. So he lives by what he just said "hunt the type of dog you like to hunt, nothing else really matters."

Posted by Dave Richards on 06-02-2019 10:20 PM:

Preacher Tom Chuck Allen

Great advise, I sure am glad that we have hunters that breed train and hunt the type of dogs they like. We need this diversity in our dogs bloodlines. No way should we ever let the bloodlines get so concentrated that we only have a certain type of dog to hunt. Someday we will need these dogs to outcross on to regain some traits that are being lost on some modern day bloodlines. Dave

Posted by Chad spencer on 06-03-2019 12:24 AM:

That’s true it suits me so I feed it

Posted by Chuck Allen on 06-03-2019 12:42 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by Preacher Tom
I hunt quite often with Chuck often and would say his dogs are a little more like the old fashioned dogs we used to hunt. Not everyone would like them but they tree coons and I think Chuck enjoys his dogs as much or more than anyone I know. So he lives by what he just said "hunt the type of dog you like to hunt, nothing else really matters."

Tom I am getting cabin fever so to speak , we are going hunting this week , even if we have to hunt out of Noah's Ark. LOL

When the law of the land becomes unjust outlaws will rise to take their place in history.

Posted by Chuck Allen on 06-03-2019 01:03 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
Most people confuse cold nose dogs with track speed. I breed dogs that can run a cold track they might be a little gamey when young but they can jump a cold track in this jungle and sometimes when the rut is in you might run an old boar coon a mile before they make him climb. They might be 200 yards between looses. Slow don’t mean cold nose most times it means stupid !!!

Tar

Quoted for the truth , now Tar how dare you make a blanket statement like that clouding the issue with facts. LOL

Posted by groworg1 on 06-03-2019 02:15 AM:

quote:

Tar

cold trail that dogs can make climb sounds fishy to me ! not around here coon moved during day tapped a half a dozen trees has been layed up in that big old oak for hours it takes a special dog to tree these coons one that shuts up after locating that coon has in fact climbed this tree and is smart enough to check this tree for escape route that again is a cold trail laid many hours earlier most have never hunted with a true cold nose tree dog that can finish what it starts in the last 10 plus years i have yet to hunt with any dog that has ran a track for more then 15-20 minutes these are not cold nosed dogs

Posted by yadkintar on 06-03-2019 02:38 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by groworg1
cold trail that dogs can make climb sounds fishy to me ! not around here coon moved during day tapped a half a dozen trees has been layed up in that big old oak for hours it takes a special dog to tree these coons one that shuts up after locating that coon has in fact climbed this tree and is smart enough to check this tree for escape route that again is a cold trail laid many hours earlier most have never hunted with a true cold nose tree dog that can finish what it starts in the last 10 plus years i have yet to hunt with any dog that has ran a track for more then 15-20 minutes these are not cold nosed dogs

I hunt walkers very few strains are left that are determined to finish what they start and in the terrain I hunt heart and determination are very important!!

Tar

Posted by groworg1 on 06-03-2019 03:04 AM:

quote:
I hunt walkers very few strains are left that are determined to finish what they start and in the terrain I hunt heart and determination are very important!!

Tar

i hunt walkers and they are hot nosed but i grew up on cold nose blueticks that finished what they started when the coon are stirring my walkers are bad fast but when the coon are not stirring its boring i'd much rather listen to a cold trailer work a cold track for hours and tree a coon or have a honest den then doing nothing at all where can i find such a dog

Posted by yadkintar on 06-03-2019 03:09 AM:

quote:
i hunt walkers and they are hot nosed but i grew up on cold nose blueticks that finished what they started when the coon are stirring my walkers are bad fast but when the coon are not stirring its boring i'd much rather listen to a cold trailer work a cold track for hours and tree a coon or have a honest den then doing nothing at all where can i find such a dog

I don’t have but two and they got to last me a while but you get with them yadkinriver boys that don’t hunt in the hunts much anymore they still breed them and they will hook you up. If I ever run out that’s where I am going.

Tar

Posted by Chuck Allen on 06-03-2019 03:51 AM:

quote:

Come Hunt with , Tom , Gary , Pat and I in the Western Wall , Spavinaw or the Honobia Wilderness area in either August or January. Who Knows Tar may even show up.

Posted by DL NH on 06-03-2019 04:05 AM:

I am a firm believer in genetic inhertance. The way/style our hounds pursue, locate and tree their game is predominantly determined at fertilization. In my view cold nosed hounds that have the ability, persistence and accuracy to have their game at tracks end are born with that ability. Good handlers/trainers have the ability to draw out the best of what those special hounds were born with. It's not impossible for a human to ruin an otherwise would be talented hound. Electronic collars in the hands of a fool can do that quickly!l

Cold nosed coon hounds are often misconstrued as being track straddlers that take forever to tree the coon if at all. I've seen plenty of hot nosed tree dogs that were terrible track dogs. Their owners surmise that because they took so long to tree it they must be cold nosed. I don't think really good cold nosed dogs that can move a track with an efficiency determined by the condition of the track and are accurate locators are plentiful. I have also seen a few very good track dogs who in the last 2-3 years of their lives could have some difficulty in determining the right direction the coon went in and run backwards a ways before realizing they had the wrong end of the track! I've wondered if this is perhaps a touch of canine dementia?

A hot nosed dog can be very impressive in thick coon but when it gets to be November and early December in my country those hot nosed dogs can be near useless many nights.

Posted by Chuck Allen on 06-03-2019 01:42 PM:

Now I do not know how cold nosed my dogs are for sure or if they are cold nosed at all but they can strike trail and tree coon sometimes other dogs did not know are in the woods , or in one case they struck a track moved it about a mile and half. treed and we walked and got there way before the other guys dogs showed up , and those dogs were trailing the same track.

Posted by Richard Lambert on 06-03-2019 03:38 PM:

It is hard to tell when you hunt a dog by itself. Sometimes the length of the track just means that your dog is too slow to make a coon climb. The best test is just as Mr Allen said. That used to be one of the reasons that we had comp hunts. You could turn your dog loose with other dogs and see just how good your dog was. But nowadays it is just all about who wins. When the dogs all split up they don't really compete against each other. The handlers are the ones competeing.

Posted by yadkintar on 06-03-2019 04:24 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
It is hard to tell when you hunt a dog by itself. Sometimes the length of the track just means that your dog is too slow to make a coon climb. The best test is just as Mr Allen said. That used to be one of the reasons that we had comp hunts. You could turn your dog loose with other dogs and see just how good your dog was. But nowadays it is just all about who wins. When the dogs all split up they don't really compete against each other. The handlers are the ones competeing.

When they all split up like that they are competing against the clock not each other. Now just win your cast you get a dog box !! And you get a dog box !! Dog boxes for everybody wooooo hooooo !!

Tarbaby

Posted by Richard Edinger on 06-03-2019 04:31 PM:

[QUOTE]Originally posted by yadkintar

Tar
[/QUOTE

Agree, completely. ]

Posted by groworg1 on 06-03-2019 06:11 PM:

if your dog hasn't located on 2 or 3 taps along the way your hunting a hot nosed dog !

Posted by 2ol2hunt on 06-03-2019 06:12 PM:

If a dog is trailing for HOURS, he is not cold nosed, he's TRASHY! OR lacks trailing ability!.... JMO

Posted by pigsit on 06-03-2019 07:03 PM:

Good track dogs are just as hard to find as good coon dogs, everyone has one til you go look. I don't think I want a cold nosed dog, I prefer one that can strike any kind of track and has the nose and brains enough to finish it.

Dual GRNTCH Wendy
GRNTCH Cola
GrNtCH Honky Tonk Rock and Roll
Dual GRCH Bumper
Dual CH June
Dual CH Jill