UKC Forums Pages (2): [1] 2 »
Show all 38 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- Laying a dog up during the summer months (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928539320)

Posted by MorAnd on 06-08-2021 04:43 AM:

Laying a dog up during the summer months

If a young dog (2 y/o) has progressed (hunting harder, getting better at moving tracks out and getting more accurate) during this past kill season and really progressed the months of February and March, and is now laid up for the summer

What could one reasonably expect once it's started back hunting in the fall - 1) pick up pretty much where it left off after a few weeks of conditioning, 2) continue to progress at close to the same pace because it has matured a little while sitting in the kennel all summer, or 3) go backwards?

Posted by pamjohnson on 06-08-2021 01:45 PM:

I have seen some dogs pick right back up and other dogs not pick back up well at all. I feel there is also a very important stage in a young dogs life when they are just getting things rolling when it is very important to keep them in the woods.

Posted by DL NH on 06-08-2021 04:22 PM:

If the genetics are there, #1&2 would be what I’d expect. If the dog is what u say it is oh shouldn’t have any issue.

That being said, if your able to and you get a few cool nights in the summer hit the woods! Likely do you both some good.

Posted by Dave Richards on 06-11-2021 01:58 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by DL NH
If the genetics are there, #1&2 would be what I’d expect. If the dog is what u say it is oh shouldn’t have any issue.

That being said, if your able to and you get a few cool nights in the summer hit the woods! Likely do you both some good.

X2, During the past decade or so, I have not hunted during the Spring and Summer months and have laid good started dogs as well as finished dogs up from the end of kill season until the next fall. I DO NOT see any negative results at all, only thing is the dogs getting out of shape. I personally think the good out weighs the bad by laying them up in the Spring and Summer months. Hunting only in the Fall and Winter months where the dogs get rewarded for their efforts and you can see exactly what they are doing. Dave

Posted by MorAnd on 06-14-2021 09:24 PM:

Appreciate the opinions. He's already qualified for the fall SS and I plan to hunt him in it, so I'd be pulling him back out in time to get him tuned back up for it anyway.

The more I think about it, with the bad hot summer nights here in the south and coons moving in the day than night anyway, there really isn't great hunting during the months of June, July and August anyway.

Posted by fatherof4 on 06-14-2021 09:43 PM:

I'm in the south too and yeah it is tuff. I do a lot of my summer hunting around lakes to have access to water. I have a bad habit of waiting until close to midnight before cutting loose and have been known to turn loose about 4:30-5 in the morning. I have to watch myself more than the dogs due to bad heat spells of my own so I just pick my times and pace myself. All dogs are different, some need more hunting than others. You know your dog, do what's best for the 2 of ya.

Ch GrNiteCh. Ch. Ramey's Oakwood Woody
PR Ramey's Crockett Rose
NITECH CH PR Hardin-Williams Spider
PR Ramey's Lute

Posted by ole hoss on 06-14-2021 11:26 PM:

Use to I didn’t think they was a bad night to hunt, the older I get the more I realize a lot of my dogs faults come from ME!! If I had a pup I liked I would be very careful as to when and how I hunted it. Bad tree habits are started when a dog has gotten hot, chewing and jacking the tree seems to be something a lot of dogs now days do but it’s a pet peeve of mine and I feel like 95 percent of the time it’s our fault

Posted by Cory Highfill on 06-15-2021 03:49 AM:

I had a bit of an epiphany a year or so ago, and decided I do this stuff because I want to, not because I have to. I hunted a good young dog last winter, and put him up soon as it got hot. If he comes out firing in the fall great, if not I'll cut my losses and move on.

Summer hunting in my area equals excessive heat, clouds of mosquitoes, armies of chiggers, a plethora of poisonous snakes, and ticks. And ticks equals a variety of diseases for dogs and hunters. As was mentioned above, you can make problems this time of year easier than you can remedy them.

Lastly, this is a time of year I dedicate to family stuff. For me that's vacations, afternoons in the creek, tournament softball, and basketball camps with the kiddo. Makes it a little easier for me to live with myself in the fall when the weather gets right and I start spending way too many nights roaming around the bottoms...

Posted by MorAnd on 06-22-2021 03:16 AM:

ttt

Posted by Wayne Valentino on 06-24-2021 05:09 PM:

laying em up

My son and I get poison ivy BAD !!! We lay em up when it is out.. Hunt hard when it is gone.. Hounds never suffered any ill effects by the lay up...

Posted by Wayne Valentino on 06-24-2021 05:09 PM:

laying em up

My son and I get poison ivy BAD !!! We lay em up when it is out.. Hunt hard when it is gone.. Hounds never suffered any ill effects by the lay up...

Posted by Dave Richards on 06-25-2021 03:34 AM:

Re: laying em up

quote:
Originally posted by Wayne Valentino

Wayne, I am in your boat, serious allergy to poison ivy and oak. I quit hunting in the Spring and Summer months years ago and I do not miss it at all. Six months if Fall and Winter are plenty of nights to hunt and WAY more ENJOYABKE in my opinion. Dave

Posted by Leatherwood on 06-25-2021 06:49 PM:

Copperheads, leafy trees that you can't find a coon in, and swallowing bugs is all summer hunting is good for.

Posted by Dave Richards on 06-26-2021 04:20 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by Leatherwood
Copperheads, leafy trees that you can't find a coon in, and swallowing bugs is all summer hunting is good for.

Throw in poison ivy, oak, ticks, chiggers and rattlesnakes to complete the picture you get summer hunting. No thanks, I hunt in the Fall and Winter and let all of these younger smarter hunters hunt Spring and Summer, while I go fishing. Lol. Dave

Posted by Ghost14 on 06-26-2021 06:23 PM:

When I was growing up we never hunted during the summer. When I was about 20 I started hunting year round because I thought the dogs would be better. Fast forward 20 more years and I didn’t turn a dog loose last summer and I enjoyed my dogs more this year than I have in a long time. Not to mention, I started 2 pups that are doing better than any I’ve raised in 15 years. Don’t know if it has anything to do with summer hunting or not but Im hunting for me now and not to impress others like I did the last 20 years. I’ve never seen a good dog set back by being laid up a couple months. Heck, a female raising pups should be laid up 2 months at the least and that’s anytime of year. No, it doesn’t hurt a dog.

Posted by MorAnd on 07-18-2021 08:55 PM:

Well, I'm there .... I'm going to lay him up for a while!

I posted this question a while back to get opinions even thought I had decided to hunt all summer, hoping to have a 2 y/o fall pup in tip top shape for the fall SS. For the last few weeks, about all I've been doing is trailing ole bad tracks (get off one and get right on another one)about every time I go. It seems that there just aren't any good tracks on the ground the first 2 or 3 hours of the night; even seem like dogs don't even smell scent on the tree too good. Dogs that usually nail a tree, now doing lots of locating before settling if not trailing on.

Posted by MorAnd on 07-18-2021 08:55 PM:

Well, I'm there .... I'm going to lay him up for a while!

I posted this question a while back to get opinions even thought I had decided to hunt all summer, hoping to have a 2 y/o fall pup in tip top shape for the fall SS. For the last few weeks, about all I've been doing is trailing ole bad tracks (get off one and get right on another one)about every time I go. It seems that there just aren't any good tracks on the ground the first 2 or 3 hours of the night; even seem like dogs don't even smell scent on the tree too good. Dogs that usually nail a tree, now doing lots of locating before settling if not trailing on.

Posted by Richard Lambert on 07-18-2021 10:08 PM:

Doesn't anyone think that young dogs have to learn how to finish those bad tracks and go farther/hunt harder to find them? Do y'all think that they just need easy to tree, hot tracks to become coon dogs? My granddaddy always told me that when the going gets tuff, the tuff get going. It is no wonder there are so few tuff coon dogs anymore.

Posted by PreacherTom on 07-18-2021 10:39 PM:

Every year I say I'm not going to hunt this summer but every year I hunt thru the summer. How do you not do it?? Gets dark and I say I'll go make one turnout and it goes from there.

Posted by DL NH on 07-19-2021 03:20 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
Doesn't anyone think that young dogs have to learn how to finish those bad tracks and go farther/hunt harder to find them? Do y'all think that they just need easy to tree, hot tracks to become coon dogs? My granddaddy always told me that when the going gets tuff, the tuff get going. It is no wonder there are so few tuff coon dogs anymore.

Is it that they have to “learn to finish bad tracks” or is there the possibility that the genetics are just plain not there?

Personally, I’d be worried if I had a young dog that was taking many tracks it could not finish. That can be an indicator of what could very well end up being a poor track dog.

My question would be how does his young dog handle a good running track A BY HIM or HERSELF?

I’not talking 6 barks on the ground then treed. I’m talking a track going a minimum of 300 yards up to a 1/4 mile before coming treed.

Any young dog that can drive a hot track like it’s tied to its game is worth giving the time to mature into a full fledged coon dog. Any young dog that consistently fart’s around with a hot track and can’t line it out isn’t worth putting much time in.

Posted by Richard Lambert on 07-19-2021 05:37 PM:

You will never know or find out "laying them up".

Posted by 2ol2hunt on 07-19-2021 05:46 PM:

Seems to me that if you want to hunt then hunt, if you don't want to then don't, the dog is not the boss 🤔

Posted by MorAnd on 07-22-2021 10:21 PM:

I guess when you ask for opinions, that what you expect to get (Lol).

This pup was not having trailing problems (hot tracks nor cold) until we start getting rain (lots of fresh water everywhere) almost every day for the last 4 or 5 weeks or so when the heat and humidity shot up. I'm in Louisiana and it's almost always between 75 and 80 degrees between dark and midnight with humidity anywhere from 70-80% on average.
The pup isn't perfect and is still a pair of worn out boots away from being a finished dog, but the conditions have gotten pretty rough down here ..... thus the decision to lay him up.

Posted by shadinc on 07-23-2021 02:40 AM:

I don't think he'll go backward. Might get a little rusty. One or two hunts should have him polished up again. What part of Louisiana are you in?

Posted by Dave Richards on 07-23-2021 03:20 AM:

Re: Laying a dog up during the summer months

quote:
Originally posted by MorAnd
I guess when you ask for opinions, that what you expect to get (Lol).

This pup was not having trailing problems (hot tracks nor cold) until we start getting rain (lots of fresh water everywhere) almost every day for the last 4 or 5 weeks or so when the heat and humidity shot up. I'm in Louisiana and it's almost always between 75 and 80 degrees between dark and midnight with humidity anywhere from 70-80% on average.
The pup isn't perfect and is still a pair of worn out boots away from being a finished dog, but the conditions have gotten pretty rough down here ..... thus the decision to lay him up.

Looks like you are making the right decision with your dog. Laying a dog up in these conditions is way better than hunting without positive results. The only drawback I have ever seen not hunting in the summer is a dog getting out of shape. Dogs do not take long to get in shape so I do not consider that a problem.Tick disease, snakes, etc are definitely s problem hunting in the summer months and very little positive results of summer hunting if you ask me and I have done both and have hunted for over 50 years. Dave