UKC Forums Pages (6): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Show all 133 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- Toughest English Dog? (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=37489)

Posted by nastyblackdog on 12-22-2004 07:49 PM:

i like mine Gr. Nite Ch. Silver champion Bubba Gump

Posted by Rusty Johnson on 12-22-2004 09:29 PM:

I've heard lots of stories about how tough certain dogs was,but dogs i've actually hunted with and have seen that looked nice would be:
Smooth Talking Jed,hunted with Jed in his later years and he was a dang good old coondog and have hunted with a few dogs out of him that have looked nice.
I've hunted with a lot of the Briar Creek dogs and have owned some Briar Creek bred dogs and most of them was nice dogs that would get in the woods and tree coon.
Hunted with Allen Gaston's Flatland Warrior dog and he impressed me that night.
Hunted with a dog out of Flowers Wildfire one night in an RQE,I think it's name was Fuller's Major.He looked real good that night and put it on the rest of us pretty good.
I've hunted with a few of the Wilcox bred dogs and their coondogs too.
Hunted with Dave Haugh a few times and he had an old female named Curly Sue and she was a good old coondog and I liked her.
Lots of good english blood out there and all us english breeders need to work togather to keep it going and improving.

Posted by triple d on 12-22-2004 10:41 PM:

English lovers

I can tell you of a few good English hounds. GRNTCH GRCH Wlicox Thunder Mad Joker, GRNTCH GRFCH GRWCH GRCH Eric's All Grand Casper, NTCH GRCH Briar Valley Nite Prowler. All of these hounds are good hounds that will have the coon better than 90 per. of the time. They are first strike and tree dogs. All of them are consistance cast winners in all the states that I hunt in. I also own a few good females. I invite anyone to come down and hunt with any hound that I own.
W.V. has some good English hounds in it and they will get better as the breed is getting more popular in this part of the country. We sometime get overlooked by the big breeders because we do not hunt in the big hunts or advertise a lot. Most of the hunters in W.V. do not want to walk to the top of a mountain for nothing. This makes the hounds a little more accurate. I do not have handlers to hunt my hounds. All I have is my son and me. Sometime I have a friend hunt one of my hounds. You do not need slick handlers or cheating handlers if you got real coonhounds. A coonhound will be able to win with a kid as handler and a hound that is not a coonhound is the one that needs a handler. I will let any kid at the club house handle my hound anytime there is one who wants to hunt. Kids have put a lot of wins on my hounds and I hope they will come back and do it again. Always take care of the kids in our sport.

Posted by Randy Holtmeyer on 12-22-2004 11:22 PM:

Rusty

"Lots of good english blood out there and all us english breeders need to work togather to keep it going and improving." I agree with you 100%. Got a 6 year old pup outta Curley Sue. He ain't been hunted much this year, but I like him, he needs alittle more tree, could be a trainin' flaw, but when he loads up on a tree he is usually pretty accurate.

THANKS FOR THE INPUT GUYS!!!

Posted by Randy Holtmeyer on 12-22-2004 11:29 PM:

triple D

I'm sure you're hounds are pretty tough to beat. You sound like you've been in the game for a few years, what's the toughest english hound you've hunted with down there that wasn't your's, just a dog you happened to draw, or maybe a dog you've hunted with a few times.

Posted by John Carroll on 12-22-2004 11:39 PM:

A man I never read about on the message board, but who has some sure enough good English hounds is Darrell Burroughs of Langley, Oklahoma.

He raises the Grand Lake English dogs that go back to old Platte Valley, Hillbilly Mike, and a few others.

Darrell's dogs look like hounds and sound like hounds. I used to hunt with him quite a bit when I still lived in Oklahoma, and he is a good dog man and a good guy.

Posted by Smoke on 12-22-2004 11:41 PM:

Dual Grand PKC Champion B&K's Backwoods Lacey owned by Brian Walker. She is out of Huck A Buck

Posted by Cheyenne on 12-23-2004 12:01 AM:

Randy I have hunted with alot of nice English dogs through the years, there were 2 that owned I consider to be the best night in night out but thats not what your after!

Years ago I hunted with Bert and Jeff Mann alot and Jeff had a male called Gr.Nt.Ch. Mann's Battle River Buck out of Oney's Tom that sure enough was a coondog, he was fun to pleasure hunt during the week and win with on the weekend!!! He was just making his mark when he got killed on the road at the 84 world hunt in Defiance Oh., he had 2 cast wins and was well on his way to the 3rd when a storm blew up and they lost him finding him later on a highway dead!!

Bert also had a young dog out of Gr.Nt.Ch. Whittle's Sandman that was awesome as a pup but he to got hit buy a car and was never able to hunt very good after that!! Tried as the dog did he would just get tired to fast, he had both hips broke and was put back together with pins!!

Also a few years ago Ray & Chuck Augenstien had a Speck breed gyp called Gr.Nt.Ch. Hardtimes Little Casey that was pretty tough every night, she also reproduced some nice pups!!

Nt.Ch. 2010 World Hunt Finalist Tug River Stylish PJ, Pkc Ch. Nt.Ch. Stylish Polly, Pkc Ch. Nt.Ch. Stylish Cheyenne, Gr.Nt.Ch. Frieds Thunder Crank, Gr.Nt.Ch. Major Dan , Nt.Ch. Lil Red Rat, Stylish Tanks Style

Posted by Randy Holtmeyer on 12-23-2004 12:11 AM:

Cheyenne

Good to see you back. Would one of those two you're talkin' about be your Thunder Crank dog? Is he still alive?

You need to find you're way back into the English dog, two many people with those holsteins anyway....LOL......hope you've been havin' some good hunts.

Posted by ERIC W MUELLER on 12-23-2004 12:25 AM:

I'm starting to wonder if triple d and dave haugh are buddies? he ha.

Posted by Cheyenne on 12-23-2004 12:31 AM:

Randy old Crank was tough, its snowing hard and in the low 20's and that dog would tree a coon with no problem!! I think he is still living up around Green Bay Wis. Not for sure though. I'll tell you one thing Bert has some real dandies now, and he has a beautiful litter of pups now that should make nice ones out of Ringo and a Huck-a-Buck female!! If Bert would pkc his pups I would still have them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nt.Ch. 2010 World Hunt Finalist Tug River Stylish PJ, Pkc Ch. Nt.Ch. Stylish Polly, Pkc Ch. Nt.Ch. Stylish Cheyenne, Gr.Nt.Ch. Frieds Thunder Crank, Gr.Nt.Ch. Major Dan , Nt.Ch. Lil Red Rat, Stylish Tanks Style

Posted by wvhounds on 12-23-2004 03:17 AM:

I've hunted with some that I liked alot,,,Darrel Brown's Stoney.....Chad Nay's Rocky Creek Bo,,,Gayle's Rapper,,,,, Lee Our's had a male,,the father of my dual grand Hillbilly dog,,that I liked alot too,name was Nitro Express,he was off of MY all time favorite line of English hounds,,,,Oney's Cujo!! I did hunt with the Joker dog of Triple D's ,,very nice hound!!,,He can eat my feed ANYTIME!!!