UKC Forums
Show all 11 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- Blueticks (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=48)
-- Gascon? (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928339374)

Posted by 13cjstanley on 09-22-2013 06:05 AM:

Gascon?

Would love some more info about the Gascon hounds ive had some utchman and some jet bloodlines but I have always wanted a Gascon hound from the old blood. Ive heard there more for looks and are slow starters in the woods? Are they hard tree dogs? How are they as far as showing? More interested in how they hunt tho. Would they hunt just as good as lets say the jet or the hammer bloodline? Really looking for some insight on these gascon hounds! Thanks.

~Only Blue's Will Do!!~

Posted by bigjake318 on 09-22-2013 06:38 AM:

Gascons

Go to bluelines.proboards.com

Posted by Driftwoodblue on 09-22-2013 04:09 PM:

depends!

there are lots of different things involved..I would not try to start one until about 10-11 months old although I have had some that start a lot earlier.. as with a lot of other hounds you can burn them out!
they tend to hunt more for you than burn thru the woods passing by many trees that hold game-- they have enough nose to do the job and not have to look for a scorching hot track--- make no mistake about it on a hot track they can surely smoke it.. a lot depends on how they are started.
watch conformation.. some folks breed just because they are big and pay little attention to structure and that can lead to problems...

Hard tree dogs
again it depends on how they are bred

there are a couple out here in my pen that I would put against most hounds-- do not expect a bawl mouth hound to shell out 100 plus barks per minute.
my Reno dog does shorten his voice up a good bit and he does not need tied to the tree!

Posted by 13cjstanley on 09-22-2013 05:36 PM:

Oh I defiantly prefer a nice bawl mouth on my hounds. And thank u for your input it helped problem is is where I'm located I haven't had to much luck finding any. I just want a dog that will get the job done and be able to run an tree just as good as the rest. Ive been in the dark on these dogs though cause know one around here knows anything about em. Ive always liked the looks of these dogs but I'm more about the tracking and freeing ability of the dog.

~Only Blue's Will Do!!~

Posted by daveweaver on 09-26-2013 02:40 AM:

Gascon hunt and get together

I have tried to send you an e-mail and private message, but your boxes are full. The annual Gascon meeting and hunt is coming up October 4-5 at Tell City, IN. Food, fun, fellowship, coon hunting, and big blue dogs. You could come down and see these big dogs in person and go hunting with a few and see for yourself what they can do. Let me know if interested and I will get you more info.

Posted by CGATEWD on 09-28-2013 01:54 PM:

Nice dogs. All in what you like.

HOME OF DNA-P GRCH "PR" GATEWOODS DOG NAMED HORSE, DNA-P GRCH "PR" GATEWOODS BIG CREEK BLUE CORKY, DNA-P GRCH "PR" GATEWOODS BIG CREEK BLUE SARGE, DNA-P GRCH "PR" GATEWOODS BLUE DOG TIMBER JACK, GRCH "PR" GATEWOODS BIG CREEK BLU SHADOW, GRCH "PR" GATEWOODS ATCHAFALAYA MAGGIE, CH "PR" GATEWOODS BIG CREEK BLU RANGER, GRCH "PR" GATEWOODS BIG CREEK BL DEE DEE, GRCH "PR" GATEWOODS NORTHERN OUTLAW LADY, GRCH "PR" GATEWOODS BIG CREEK MS DAISY, AND "PR" GATEWOODS MIDNIGHT BLUE SHADOW.
PASSED BUT NOT FORGOTTEN "PR" GATEWOODS BIG CREEK BLUE SMOKE, "PR" KITZMILLERS BLUE DOLLY, & "PR" GATEWOODS BIG CREEK OLE RATLR, AND OUR AIRWALKER (KILL DOG) "KATIE"

http://www.myspace.com/bigcreekblueticks

Posted by BruceL. on 10-08-2013 11:27 PM:

Gascons

Would be glad to talk to you about Am Blue Gascon Hounds. Big, blue, not slow.

Posted by deepandalone on 10-13-2013 01:10 AM:

Seems like a stacked deck.......

Seems like you are talking to a bunch of Gascon people, I have tried several over the years, and the ones that WOULD tree were poor treedogs at best and would take them all night to do it.

Food for thought.......Why do you think Gascons only have a very small following, and cant compete with anything faster than a turtle. These guys will tell you they are not slow and are good treedogs, but how many of them hunt with people other than gascon people......basically none.

I feel I have the same right to give an honest opinion of the breed as they do. Im sure I will get bashed by them for it, but thats allright I can take it. Dont waste your money on one, you will be disappointed, they are the armpit of the bluetick breed, tortoises, Its like the difference between a burrow and a racehorse.

Posted by bigjake318 on 10-13-2013 01:14 AM:

Big Blue

I've tried them, liked them, problem is heat down here, just couldn't take long nights of it.

Posted by driller on 10-13-2013 03:09 PM:

Re: Seems like a stacked deck.......

Why would anyone bash you? You were so nice in your assessment of a whole group of hounds and their owners. I would take time to share my experiences with these heritage hounds as it is much different than what you kindly shared but I'd rather just hope you move along.

I've had some good ones, a couple great ones, and no doubt some junk. Pretty much like anyone else I figure. I have enjoyed blueticks that have no gascon influence at all in them also, in fact I own two now. Overall the men and hounds in the "gascon" group have enriched my life greatly and my experiences in the woods are absolutely some of the greatest times of my life.

No armpits, tortoises, or burrows here.

quote:
Originally posted by deepandalone
Seems like you are talking to a bunch of Gascon people, I have tried several over the years, and the ones that WOULD tree were poor treedogs at best and would take them all night to do it.

Food for thought.......Why do you think Gascons only have a very small following, and cant compete with anything faster than a turtle. These guys will tell you they are not slow and are good treedogs, but how many of them hunt with people other than gascon people......basically none.

I feel I have the same right to give an honest opinion of the breed as they do. Im sure I will get bashed by them for it, but thats allright I can take it. Dont waste your money on one, you will be disappointed, they are the armpit of the bluetick breed, tortoises, Its like the difference between a burrow and a racehorse.

Posted by Driftwoodblue on 10-14-2013 12:32 AM:

Deep and Alone

"deepandalone
UKC Forum Member

Seems like a stacked deck.......

that name and byline says volumes!

some folks are blind to doing the research on what is the good ones!
yes there has been some charlitons in the past that sold puppies just because they were big, getting on the band wagon to make a quick buck.

I have had in the past a good number of regular blueticks some of them brindle things and some of the spotted dogs before that breed started looking like over sized beagles...
I have had about equal numbers of junkers in all of the above and my mistakes are in the pasture .
paid good money for several
the male I have now is from Driller and he is special!
the female is a 1/2 sister to him.
they put the FUN back in hunting!

a couple of the dogs I have now put on a treeing clinic last night..
where the hunting situations are changing to have so much land leased and closed to hunting, it is fast becoming a necessity to have a hound that will handle, not burn thru the sections.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------