UKC Forums
Show all 25 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- Close Hunting hound (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928505188)

Posted by Mark on 06-07-2018 07:51 PM:

Close Hunting hound

How Many people like a close ranging hound? The kind that you have a either cut loose on a feeder or walk & hunt like a squirrel dog....

Laser Torch Lights
Ch.Gr.Nt.Ch. TrackMan's Cajun Lady ( CURENT #8 REPRODUCR )

Pr Cajuns Plane Jane

Posted by mitch aters on 06-07-2018 08:21 PM:

I like them to stay in a reasonable distance. I dont want them under my feet though. Im not a fan of cut a dog in this 100 acre patch and leave it and go a half a mile to the next one. Dogs dont have to go far here to tree one though.

Posted by Chuck Allen on 06-07-2018 08:25 PM:

I would not say mine are close but they are not get deep quick either, I can road hunt them, rig them, if I free cast they seldom go over a 1/4-1/2 if they do not strike they come back load up and go somewhere else. Handle is the key or maybe hunting type/style is more appropriate. I would say there are 4 types/styles of dogs out there. 1-get deep quick COMP bred dogs ,2-just average easy going REAL GOOD HANDLING, GRADE , CROSSBRED now called X-BRED, country coon dogs, 3-Majestic,Gascon, Blakesley Redbones,Wagoner Night Rider BLK-N-TANS ETC. 4-TREEING CUR/MT CUR. No style is wrong or right it all depends on what style the hunter likes or prefers, ones age , job , kids etc.,type of terrain you like to hunt or have to hunt etc. and furbearers one likes to hunt as well. with fur prices down there are more coon,cat, grey and red fox plus coyote than ever and Lion and Bear populations are increasing as well. Not to mention the feral pig nuisance. JMHO

When the law of the land becomes unjust outlaws will rise to take their place in history.

Posted by Wnoahclarl on 06-07-2018 10:41 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Allen
I would not say mine are close but they are not get deep quick either, I can road hunt them, rig them, if I free cast they seldom go over a 1/4-1/2 if they do not strike they come back load up and go somewhere else. Handle is the key or maybe hunting type/style is more appropriate. I would say there are 4 types/styles of dogs out there. 1-get deep quick COMP bred dogs ,2-just average easy going REAL GOOD HANDLING, GRADE , CROSSBRED now called X-BRED, country coon dogs, 3-Majestic,Gascon, Blakesley Redbones,Wagoner Night Rider BLK-N-TANS ETC. 4-TREEING CUR/MT CUR. No style is wrong or right it all depends on what style the hunter likes or prefers, ones age , job , kids etc.,type of terrain you like to hunt or have to hunt etc. and furbearers one likes to hunt as well. with fur prices down there are more coon,cat, grey and red fox plus coyote than ever and Lion and Bear populations are increasing as well. Not to mention the feral pig nuisance. JMHO

#3 are you saying super cold nosed hounds?

Posted by joey on 06-07-2018 11:37 PM:

I like them hunting on the run if they are close or deep. My favorite is one that will go deep unless I tell it not to, then it will hunt close until I send it again.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Posted by delta nightlife on 06-08-2018 02:07 AM:

Dog

I like mine to hunt close and usually do,but I don’t have to cut off a feeder or walk them like a tree rat dog

Posted by Lipperman22 on 06-08-2018 02:51 AM:

I like one that trees the first coon it smells no matter where or how deep it has to go. Plain and simple

Posted by Chuck Allen on 06-08-2018 04:05 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by Wnoahclarl
#3 are you saying super cold nosed hounds?

No extra long ears does not necessarily mean cold nosed or colder nosed, or even slow for that matter, I think some people just like a big houndy looking hound with a big bawl mouth.

When the law of the land becomes unjust outlaws will rise to take their place in history.

Posted by Al Medcalf on 06-08-2018 03:55 PM:

I walk hunt mine, I have very few places to hunt that I can hunt a deep hunting dog. Especially until after Georgia's ridiculously long deer season. I hunt Mt. Curs, Plott X Cur crosses and 1 Plott. I used to tailgate hunt but at this stage of the game I prefer a closer hunting dog.

Posted by mitch aters on 06-08-2018 04:23 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Al Medcalf
I walk hunt mine, I have very few places to hunt that I can hunt a deep hunting dog. Especially until after Georgia's ridiculously long deer season. I hunt Mt. Curs, Plott X Cur crosses and 1 Plott. I used to tailgate hunt but at this stage of the game I prefer a closer hunting dog.

Deer hunters can definitely make it rough on a man. They sit around here at the coffee shop and talk big about shooting one if they see one . Sick of hearing bout dogs running deer off. My new explanation is “ if dogs run off deer, how in the world do we have any deer with the number of coyotes we have yelping , howling and giving chase all night ?”

Posted by delta nightlife on 06-08-2018 06:24 PM:

Amen

Posted by bearhunter747 on 06-08-2018 11:00 PM:

I got a couple deer clubs I hunt and they don't want you in there during deer season. I had a talk with the club president and he was complaining about the bucks going nocturnal and only getting pics at night and I convinced him to let me hunt a few nights just to upset their feed patterns and low and behold after three nights of knocking out coons and making a lot of racket they started seeing bucks during the day. Although I will say when they started seeing them I was asked to lay off a while. So I guess what I'm saying kinda long winded deer are just like other wild game when they have a steady food supply and feel safe in an area THEY WONT LEAVE horn hunters and I get invited back now each year when same thing happens now!

Posted by Chuck Allen on 06-09-2018 03:27 AM:

IMHO professional deer hunters taken as a whole are stupid and I am talking still hunters for the most part , their own prejudices and preconceived notions based on hunting tv nonsense not facts. And I know most of us deer hunt as well. Mark my words these high fence areas are going to undo 100 years of game management by letting some disease escape just like they let Russian boars escape along with domestic sows bred for production creating the feral hog problem we have today.

Posted by Mark on 06-11-2018 11:32 AM:

I have a 2 year old That will tree his own coon. He just will not get very far from me... He will walk with me , & sometimes range out & make up to 150 yard circle, If I stop, he stops, If I keep walking , he keeps hunting... Or if I cut him near a feeder, he will get struck & tree a coon.. I think I may have created this. I started him by walking him through the river bottom and getting him on coons... I don't want one to pass up coons, but I want one to get gone If he needs to. I guess I will lay him up for the summer, Then hunt him a little while with another dog, & get him use to goung on, & then try him alone again... Any other suggestions ?? I have trained quiet a few dogs & never had a problem trying to get one to go hunting.. He can look good when he gets on a coon, & is pretty accurate, but this not going hunting is getting old, & im not much on walking him all over to get him on a coon. LOL

Laser Torch Lights
Ch.Gr.Nt.Ch. TrackMan's Cajun Lady ( CURENT #8 REPRODUCR )

Pr Cajuns Plane Jane

Posted by Jason Spurr on 06-12-2018 11:19 PM:

Alone with a coon 100 yards or a mile don't care. It's what's in the tree at the end I care about.

Stylish Shaker 2018 fall baby stakes 2nd place

Stylish Lacy

Posted by ItsOlMander on 06-14-2018 06:41 PM:

around here i cant have a close hunting dog. this area doesn't have the coon population to allow it. not to mention with the weather (and my work schedule) there's no telling when they're going to move so i like to have a dog that will take tracks how they come to them and will go out and go hunting. i personally like to see them hunt smart and hunt around creeks and bottoms where the coon are going to be.

most of the land in this area is large tracts of land but nearly all of it is deer hunting leases so i understand the struggle of deer hunters not wanting dogs on the land... but funny enough, QDMA did an extensive study on hunting dogs at nite and how it affects deer movements and it didn't effect the deer's movement or feeding times nearly at all- including bucks... fun fact i guess but you cant tell the deer hunters that- especially bow hunters...

- In Loving Memory of -
DEEP SPRINGS BLACK MAX
&
LEVIS SOUTHERN BLUE DOC

Posted by Hoosier on 06-14-2018 07:11 PM:

Close Hunting Hounds

I LOVE a close hunting hound...but not too close. Where I hunt, there is mainly "patch woods" not big pieces of timber. There is a road every mile and many times every half mile so ole ranger could get splattered pretty easily. Also more and more people who don't allow hunting or try to run you out of places they don't even own.

We have the coon population that you don't need to have a dog go a mile to strike a coon. I have always found that I can hit 2-3 patch woods and tree a coon in each WHILE you are walking to ole ranger in the next section over.

To each their own....there is no right or wrong answer, just depends on how much walking you want to do in one night!

Posted by Richard Lambert on 06-14-2018 08:59 PM:

I have 2 females and I turned them loose together last night. One grubbed around but treed a coon 250 yds in front of me. The other went slightly right handed and shot in 700 yds and treed a coon. Guess which one I like better?

Posted by Hoosier on 06-15-2018 02:51 AM:

Exercise

Richard,

How much do you want for each? Which one you like may depend on how much exercise you want to get when you unsnap her!

Is that normal for each or just how it worked out that night? If you hunted both alone for 2 hours, which one puts more fur on the tailgate?

Posted by Richard Lambert on 06-15-2018 07:30 AM:

It is normal. They each go their own way. One is very cold nosed and treed coons all around you and the other one is wide open and blasts through the country. But they both tree coons.

Posted by Hoosier on 06-15-2018 12:53 PM:

Which One

Richard,

You didn't say which one you liked better. Does it depend on if you are taking one to town OR taking one pleasure hunting?

At the end of the day....they are both still REDBONES! ROFL ROFL ROFL

P.S. I have a 1/2 of a redbone in my kennel.... THAT 1/2 gets blamed when she looks like crap!

Posted by Richard Lambert on 06-15-2018 02:30 PM:

Which one I like best depends on how hot it is and what kind of mood that I am in. The weird thing is that they are 3/4 sisters. They have the same Sire. One takes after her mother and one is like her sire.

Posted by daniel urffer on 06-16-2018 12:22 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by Lipperman22
I like one that trees the first coon it smells no matter where or how deep it has to go. Plain and simple

X2. Any day of the week.

Posted by Hoosier on 06-16-2018 02:57 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
Which one I like best depends on how hot it is and what kind of mood that I am in. The weird thing is that they are 3/4 sisters. They have the same Sire. One takes after her mother and one is like her sire.

Richard,

At the risk of sounding stupid...how are they 3/4 sisters? Wouldn't same sire and different dams be 1/2 sisters?

Posted by Richard Lambert on 06-16-2018 03:04 AM:

The mother of one is the grandmother of the other. Or their mothers are mother and daughter. Or they are half sisters on the top and Aunt/Niece on the bottom. I think that 3/4 sisters is less confusing.