UKC Forums Pages (2): [1] 2 »
Show all 35 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Curs and Feists (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=5)
-- Bird Dog Cross (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928373624)

Posted by CLAVEYRIVERCURS on 04-29-2014 06:50 PM:

Bird Dog Cross

Anyone running any bird dog crosses ? What are you running them on (small game or big game ) Do you know anyone that is running them ? Let hear about some that you know of.

Posted by Coleman allen, on 04-29-2014 07:55 PM:

I bought a young female two years ago. She was 9 months old, never handled, wild as a buck. She is half omc,1/4 bird dog and 1/4 hound. I've hunted her by herself the last two years. She's a squirrel treeing machine. She hunts on a dead run going up to 600 or so yards. She always checks back in, never stopping. I bred her last year to my friends reg. omc. The pups are 3/4 cur, 1/16 bird dog ans 1/16. I kept a female. She's 9 1/2 months old. Hasn't treed yet but I feel close to it. Just watching her, I believe she will hunt out like her momma.. Mr. Jack Edwards of New Albany, miss. Made the mommas cross. I bought her from Mr. don Rogers. He lives about 20 miles east of Oxford, Miss. Give him a call at 662 534 4823 and see how he likes these dogs. He raised a litter last year that are half bird dog, half hound. I got a registered cur from Sonny Conwill about 10 years ago that hunted out like my present female. All the other curs I've owned we're closer hunters. I hunt mostly off a 4 wheeler so I like one that will range out. Back in my younger days when I went after the coons with walkers, I wish now I'd crossed them with curs to slow them down. We hunted off horses and I firmly believe we'd have doubled our kills.
We had some real good Coma dogs. I like these mixed up dogs I'm hunting.
Coleman Allen
Lyon, miss.

Posted by Coleman allen, on 04-29-2014 09:56 PM:

Correction

1/8 and 1/8 on hound, bird dog mix

Posted by Ardel Ledbetter on 04-29-2014 10:06 PM:

I just bred a 1/2 German Shorthair 1/2 OMCBA female to a English.
We will see.

Posted by dbender on 04-30-2014 12:15 AM:

How

Does that 1/2 birddog cross do on squirrels? Can you describe her positive and neg qualities.

Posted by Rod Hardy on 04-30-2014 01:28 AM:

Bird Dog X'S

I've seen some with a Big Motor, Great Foot Speed, Good Winding Ability, and Loud Hard Tree Dog. I've seen others that Have Great Hunting Ability and Bottom but Lack the Tree Power needed to Win Hunts. Some make Good Hog Dogs but Sometimes lack the Gameness to Stay Bayed after A Hooking. I like the Speed, Bottom and Nose that most Field Trail Bird Dogs posses.

Posted by danf on 04-30-2014 01:50 AM:

Re: Bird Dog X'S

quote:
Originally posted by Rod Hardy

I've seen some with a Big Motor, Great Foot Speed, Good Winding Ability, and Loud Hard Tree Dog. I've seen others that Have Great Hunting Ability and Bottom but Lack the Tree Power needed to Win Hunts. Some make Good Hog Dogs but Sometimes lack the Gameness to Stay Bayed after A Hooking. I like the Speed, Bottom and Nose that most Field Trail Bird Dogs posses.

is it hard to find one that trees well enough out of a litter of pups ???

Posted by e town on 04-30-2014 02:32 AM:

bird dog cross

Seen one for sale on gon marketplace

Posted by Ardel Ledbetter on 04-30-2014 12:48 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Ardel Ledbetter
I just bred a 1/2 German Shorthair 1/2 OMCBA female to a English.
We will see.

Like Rod said, the bird dog brings a lot to the table. Foot speed, drive, and winding ability being most obvious.
This female that I bred just turned a year old and will tree squirrels. I do not believe that she is solid enough to compete at the highest level. That is the reason that I bred her to a hard treeing English.
I guess that we will have to wait and see. It surely has potential.

Posted by CLAVEYRIVERCURS on 05-07-2014 02:43 AM:

Coleman

Coleman , I'm with you on liking the mixed up ones. I talked with a Lion hunter from AZ. that ran 1/2 & 1/4 German Shorthair mixed in to his hounds. He said the same thing you said about hunting on the run. Sure would like to find the right bird dog cross to throw in with my mixed up bunch someday.

Posted by larson's mutts on 05-08-2014 09:36 PM:

i have had 1 half plott half germen shorthair and 1 half redbone half english pointer. i hunted them on bear and coon. they were really good dogs. i wish i still had them.

CLAVEYRIVERCURS - are you talking about dave carlson?

john

Posted by CLAVEYRIVERCURS on 05-09-2014 02:18 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by larson's mutts
i have had 1 half plott half germen shorthair and 1 half redbone half english pointer. i hunted them on bear and coon. they were really good dogs. i wish i still had them.

CLAVEYRIVERCURS - are you talking about dave carlson?

john

John, Yes it was Dave Carlson, Do you know him ?

Posted by larson's mutts on 05-09-2014 10:57 PM:

claveyrivercurs - i have only talked to him a couple of time. he seems like a good persons. i have talk to other people that have hunted and/or bought dogs from him. every body said that he has good dogs and is a very honest person. i would like to try one of his dogs some day.

john

Posted by oldman on 05-10-2014 02:48 AM:

Re: Coleman

quote:
Originally posted by CLAVEYRIVERCURS
Coleman , I'm with you on liking the mixed up ones. I talked with a Lion hunter from AZ. that ran 1/2 & 1/4 German Shorthair mixed in to his hounds. He said the same thing you said about hunting on the run. Sure would like to find the right bird dog cross to throw in with my mixed up bunch someday.

g s p

Pound Va

Ph: 276-796-5321

i'm drinking from my saucer
cause my cup has overflowed

Posted by fycedogs on 05-10-2014 04:55 AM:

I have a gyp that is the most natural dog I ever owned. Her grandmother is a GSP, but she nicked more than you would think from her bird dog grandma. I'm talking about natural ability, like you would expect a good bird dog pup to lock at 8 weeks old. She has the agility and fine bones of a bird dog. She's a hard treedog, with good handle. But she has good blood on both sides, on top her daddy is a UKC world champion going back to Streak Jr. and maybe more importantly Georgetta. Bottom goes back through a Nite ch to Outlaw Razor Red, #1 reproducing Redbone of all time. So what I'm trying to say is, yes, it can be a good outcross if matched to other good dogs.

Posted by Ray perry on 05-14-2014 10:16 PM:

dog that won ukc world hunt

The dog that won the ukc world hunt was that a dog named Tazz.That was how he was bred.

Posted by danf on 05-14-2014 11:40 PM:

I have ways wanted to try a cur/birddog/hound cross I would about be afraid that a hound/birddog cross would be a racehorse without much handle but maybe the cur would put some handle on them

Posted by fycedogs on 05-15-2014 07:54 PM:

Re: dog that won ukc world hunt

quote:
Originally posted by Ray perry
The dog that won the ukc world hunt was that a dog named Tazz.That was how he was bred.

Right. Danny Frazier owned Taz a couple of years ago and bred him to a UKC grand nite ch red dog of his named Smokin with Tess. That's what my dog is out of.

Posted by Glenn Rogers on 05-16-2014 12:06 AM:

Who owns Taz now, or does Donnie still own him?

Posted by fycedogs on 05-16-2014 01:45 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by Glenn Rogers
Who owns Taz now, or does Donnie still own him?

Glenn it's been a while since I talked to him. He might still have Taz there.

Posted by Glenn Rogers on 05-16-2014 12:00 PM:

Thanks, I'll give him a call.

Posted by Ray perry on 05-16-2014 03:18 PM:

Tazz

I didn't know if Tazz was still alive he will be 11 this fall I have a litter mate to him.

Posted by Timberattler on 05-20-2014 03:26 PM:

Donnie still owns Tazz as of this past squirrel season.

Posted by Smoking_Bluedog on 06-12-2014 10:04 AM:

Anyone cross bird dog with a hound? What traits usually carry on from both sides

Kenneth

owner of:
one Ol Blue Dog

Posted by Harris712 on 02-01-2019 05:22 PM:

I have a litter of 4 on the ground right now if anyone is still interested in trying a gsp x walker hound. Male gsp is a great hunter with an exceptional nose and disposition. Female is a topper again breed dog and a finished lion and bobcat hound. I am likely keeping 2 so only 2 available 2 males 2 females. Call or text if interested 620-283-3736.