UKC Forums
Show all 19 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- sour corn (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=259984)

Posted by tycon on 02-26-2009 07:53 PM:

sour corn

How long does it take for corn to sour and start to smell.

Posted by CMW on 02-26-2009 08:05 PM:

about a week or so i put myin in a 5 gal bucket and enough water to completey cover the corn

(SHAKER HILL SHO-GUN+NOLLS BLACK BOTTOM ZIP)=PR'MAPLE RIDGE BLUE BELL

Posted by tycon on 02-26-2009 09:09 PM:

Thanks. Does it take longer if it's cold.

Posted by Nocturnal Jeff on 02-26-2009 09:22 PM:

Be careful feeding soured corn to wildlife. Soured corn can produce "aflotoxins", that can blister the mouths and stomachs of the animals that eat it and even kill them.

Posted by DOUG CHEEK on 02-26-2009 11:53 PM:

JEFF ----how do they make silage for cattle ---deer eat it and other animals also ---I know it you drink a cup of liquid coming out of of the silo --it sure will give you a big head ache---it sure is fun to watch the pigs drink it the liquid ------lol lol lol lol lol

ALWAYS GO BY THE RULES AND NEVER A PROBLEM

Posted by mjflores on 02-27-2009 12:42 AM:

Silage is supposed to be kept dry until it's used as feed. At least that's how it's done here in New England. I would think wet silage would be full of mold and bacteria...you'd end up with dead cows in a hurry if they ate that I would think wouldn't you?

NTCH GRCH 'PR' Stylish Dolly
'PR' Bear Brook Midnight Cruiser
'PR' Bear Brook Midnight Dancer

Posted by CX3 on 02-27-2009 12:44 AM:

Jeff you are right to some degree. Doug you are too.

Corn Aflotoxins are a result of bacteria growing within the corn seedling. Now for bacteria to grow we all know the circumstances must be near perfect.

Doug, the haylage/silage can be fermented aflotoxin free due to an anaerobic (no Oxygen) environment. The bacteria in a silo consumes all the oxygen, and basically suffocates themselves.

And Jeff, in order for your scenario to produce aflotoxins in the corn, I believe it would be lacking the right constant temperature base to ferment.

John 3:16
You'd better believe it!

Posted by Nocturnal Jeff on 02-27-2009 12:44 AM:

Folks..if you don't believe ,me a simple search using the terms aflotoxins and wildlife will give you all the info you need.

I work in the agricultural field and know about this firsthand and deal with livestock being killed by eating wet, moldy corn.

Posted by Nocturnal Jeff on 02-27-2009 12:47 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by CX3

And Jeff, in order for your scenario to produce aflotoxins in the corn, I believe it would be lacking the right constant temperature base to ferment.

Maybe so..but in areas, especially the south, where wet , humid conditions are prevalent , it happens on a regular basis.

When i was ion college studying to be a Wildlife Biologist, we done studies taking samples of corn in feeders on several private hunting leases and AFLOTOXINS were present in over half of the feeders.

if you are going to feed coons in feeder buckets use dog food or the commercial coon attractants.

Posted by Mike Donaldson on 02-27-2009 01:20 AM:

If you are feeding soured corn the way most folks do it would be submerged in water creating and anaerobic environment. On second thought, it would not be an anaerobic environment, but I don't think it would be conducive the formation of mold.

Mike Donaldson
donaldsonmb@bellsouth.net

Posted by Nocturnal Jeff on 02-27-2009 01:29 AM:

Climates like Texas (dry and sandy) can get away with feeding corn.

The climates in most of the south, especially in warm weather, is nearly perfect for growing mold on corn and producing aflatoxins.

The first sign of aflatoxin poisoning is lesions and sores in the mouth and throat of the animals that eat it. Some will not be able to eat for several days and will consume huge amounts of water. Sometimes causing their death.

Some will have lesions in their stomachs..Which usually leads to death.

Remember the Diamond dog food recall??

Guess what was killing the dogs??

AFLATOXINS in the corn based feed.

Posted by Jay Bird 76 on 02-27-2009 02:47 AM:

I have no clue who is right, but, look at all the guys feeders that have plenty of coons...You would think after a few months, they would have no coons left to feed, or maybe the climate here in Va is such that this is not a problem...I dont know.

Posted by mudman on 02-27-2009 02:54 AM:

Re: sour corn

quote:
Originally posted by tycon
How long does it take for corn to sour and start to smell.
about 5 days get Hot Hot water and put it in a cooler

Home (304) 632-5029
Cell(304) 651-5973

Posted by CoupeDawg09 on 08-02-2009 08:15 PM:

i've heard that only coon will eat the sour corn. how true is that we had one set out and they tore into like crazy. anyways what will eat the sour corn is what im asking

Posted by boggyswamp on 08-02-2009 08:32 PM:

deer will too.

Posted by mossgin on 08-02-2009 10:09 PM:

Hogs like sour corn a lot too.

Posted by Jay Bird 76 on 08-02-2009 10:15 PM:

My corn is pretty nasty by the time I put it out.that may be why I've never had deer eat mine.

Posted by Randy Tallon on 08-02-2009 10:33 PM:

Deer never bothered my sour corn feeders...

USAF proud!!! 6 Years active 19 Reserves MSgt (ret) Raven 457
Carpe Nocturnum-Seize the night!

Posted by CoupeDawg09 on 08-09-2009 08:44 PM:

my corn started to smell after 2 days guess the 90+ degree's everyday might be the reason. it smelt so nice friday with the grape Kool-Aid mixed w/it. Today the GRAPE smell was gone. shue wee its was reaking