UKC Forums Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »
Show all 52 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- Old Time Hunters might remember this. (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928528740)

Posted by Bruce m. Conkey on 04-01-2020 01:36 PM:

Old Time Hunters might remember this.

How many of you have had an old single shot 22 that you had to dig the shells out with your pocket knife after every shot? How many of you would shoot then dig the shell out, stick the knife in a tree you were standing ? Reload and shoot again just to start over with the process? How many have then walked away with your knife stuck in a tree? How many of you have some time later made back to that area and found your knife? Or perhaps found someone else's knife stuck in a tree?

Posted by Roy Grant on 04-01-2020 02:09 PM:

Yes Yes. Lost your carbide, or water bottle. Lots of laughs now Bruce.

Posted by Cheyenne on 04-01-2020 02:14 PM:

Did that many nights, until some dope head stole out of my truck, it was my grandpa Sears and roebuck 22 single shot. Man could I knock coon out with that thing, hate to guess how many thousands of coon I got with it. That was back in the 80's till early 2000, used to grab the shells and put them in my mouth so didn't have to dig from pockets. Did swallow one from time to time during all the excitement. Bring back fond memories

Nt.Ch. 2010 World Hunt Finalist Tug River Stylish PJ, Pkc Ch. Nt.Ch. Stylish Polly, Pkc Ch. Nt.Ch. Stylish Cheyenne, Gr.Nt.Ch. Frieds Thunder Crank, Gr.Nt.Ch. Major Dan , Nt.Ch. Lil Red Rat, Stylish Tanks Style

Posted by yadkintar on 04-01-2020 02:20 PM:

I still got one like that I tried to give it away nobody wants it lol. I cut the butt off so when I put it in the scabbard on my saddle when I used to ride mules it wouldn’t hang on stuff it was antique 30 yrs ago lol.

Tar

Posted by sleepy head on 04-01-2020 02:33 PM:

514 Remington

Posted by yadkintar on 04-01-2020 02:40 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by sleepy head
514 Remington

It’s a marlin 15y. I carry a cricket.

Tar

Posted by Donnie Stevens on 04-01-2020 02:58 PM:

My huntin buddy still does up fur in the fall/winter skins every coon we kill in the woods....sticks his knife in the tree and walks away. I've got the latest marked on my Garmin first time I get close enough to get it. He's lost a half dozen that I know of in the 30 years we've hunted together.

Posted by Allen / UKC on 04-01-2020 03:02 PM:

I'm still missing a nice single shot that I left laying next to a tree some 20 years ago. I went back a couple days later and did a thorough search with no luck. Miss that stick.

Posted by yadkintar on 04-01-2020 03:10 PM:

I carry mine upside down on my back with a strap so my hands are free ( when I bust my butt ) mine never touches the ground I get done shooting I put it back on my back.

Tar

Posted by T Felderman on 04-01-2020 03:11 PM:

I got an old 10-22 Ruger that acts like a single shot.

Posted by Ricochet17 on 04-01-2020 03:13 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by T Felderman

It only shoots "shorts" I bet.😏

Posted by delta nightlife on 04-01-2020 03:20 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by T Felderman

My 10-22 was doin that and I tore it apart and found a tiny peice of plastic stuck behind the action and it wouldn’t sling the hull out got it out and it has worked fine

Posted by Rex W Sims on 04-01-2020 03:21 PM:

I have old browning that shoots shorts only,back then a box of shells for it was 25 cents.**** iam getting old....,

Posted by Sonny Phipps on 04-01-2020 03:21 PM:

The cricket I use now needs the knife ejector pretty regular! Always a check list for going to a tree- leash, Ammo, rifle and knife....

Posted by yadkintar on 04-01-2020 03:38 PM:

We got these Mexican 22 shells here for cheap some of them I guess swell up in the chamber and you have to dig them out.

Tar

Posted by Preacher Tom on 04-01-2020 06:16 PM:

The old single shot 22 I still use I bought over 45 years ago and it was old them. Had to make a new firing pin out of an old pocket knife to get it to fire. Left it under a tree and about two weeks later realized it wasn't behind the seat. Thought for a while and remembered where I had last used it. Walked to that tree (long time before any Garmin to help) and there it was leaning against the tree. Still shoots accurate. Cheyenne I thought I was the only guy that put shells in my mouth to keep from having to get back in the little pouch. The only real problem is it's heavy. Just got a laser dot put on a Heritage pistol. Gonna see how that works.

Posted by Nathan Phenix on 04-01-2020 06:17 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Allen / UKC
I'm still missing a nice single shot that I left laying next to a tree some 20 years ago. I went back a couple days later and did a thorough search with no luck. Miss that stick.

I have single shot Winchester I have had 20+ years. Started hunt with guy lives few miles from me. And apparently he left one just like mine leaning against tree. I think he still half way thinks mine is his old one and I found it.

Bayou Creek Black and Tan’s

Nathan Phenix
417-255-5697

Posted by Clovis A Nailor on 04-01-2020 06:40 PM:

I think it was a Remington target master single shot bolt action open sights it was my grandfather's gun I don't know how old it is but I would think it's around 100 years old my dad still has it. Dad is kind of a gun nut so I have never had to buy a gun in my life.

Posted by Clovis A Nailor on 04-01-2020 06:50 PM:

Had a nite lite with the wide belt was hunting in the summer so I stuck my dad's. 22 hi standard pistol in the belt when I got back to the truck pistol was gone that was over 30 years ago I still get grief about that.

Posted by Adams, Harold on 04-01-2020 06:54 PM:

I had one of them old sears single shots and it was same way needed to dig them out. My dad bought me one of those little skeleton .22 at Kenton when I was 12 or so used it quite a bit as well ...

Posted by Richard Edinger on 04-01-2020 08:01 PM:

I also had a marlin 15Y that my mother had bought my Dad at Sesrs until someone walked in my garage and stole it.

Posted by yadkintar on 04-01-2020 08:34 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Edinger
I also had a marlin 15Y that my mother had bought my Dad at Sesrs until someone walked in my garage and stole it.

You can have this one I am in Oklahoma also.

Tar

Posted by Redneck Mafia on 04-01-2020 08:34 PM:

Funny just Monday Cheyenne hollered at me to get a knife out of the truck he had a shell that hadn't ejected. He was squirrel hunting and I was looking for mushrooms. This gun is a Remington model 10 nylon single shot .22 (like the 66 but single shot not semiautomatic). It's a rare gun that he just needs to put in the cabinet and leave it but he likes it. Probably if he cleaned it more often and didn't carry 22 shells in an empty unwashed chew can this wouldn't happen lol!
Dalton left a gun leaning on a fence post a couple of years ago on a road we hunt on. A couple of days later my cousin who lives near there called and said he found a gun and figured it was ours Dalton hadn't missed it yet.
My dad's old 22 is still somewhere against a tree in the woods by the house. In nearly 20 years and walking those woods thousands of times we've still never found it.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Posted by DL NH on 04-01-2020 09:19 PM:

Who has an old Stevens falling block or Remington rolling block single shot .22? How many out there know what either one is without googling it?

Posted by johnny reb on 04-01-2020 09:37 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Allen / UKC

I think everyone has left one at some point. How many have found one that has been left? I found one when I was in high school that had been left for years. It was completely rusted shut and in rough shape had to use a mallet to open the bolt.
Long story short a year or so later was talking to an older gentleman and somehow he got on this subject. He to,d me. What type of gun it was and where it was left and he had looked for quite awhile and couldn’t fine it. He had left it I. 1981 and I found it in 1996 it’s still in the safe today.