UKC Forums
Show all 11 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- Ambush or trackdog (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928509608)

Posted by Ron Jackson on 09-21-2018 01:38 PM:

Ambush or trackdog

Because l havent had one go this far in the big dance l have a question.
The dogs that have won the majority of world hunts, are they dogs that work up tracks if they have to or are they dogs that go a mile to ambush a coon for a hotter track.

Posted by tjll on 09-21-2018 01:49 PM:

track dogs

Very few dogs that take a track as it comes will win consistently they are messing with colder tracks sometimes and in thicker coon population like Ohio a good medium to hot nosed dog that will split tree is hard to beat

Posted by Richard Lambert on 09-21-2018 01:55 PM:

Oh my goodness, have you not seen those scores? A dog that is real good at what they do can and will win. A dog that is real good at working a track and getting treed with a coon can win. A dog that is real good at finding and ambushing a coon can win.

Posted by JiM on 09-21-2018 03:34 PM:

World Hunts are won by dogs that get on a roll at the right time. Once in a while a dog will come along and win it all that is a dominating type of dog that wins anywhere under any type of condition. And what I have seen of those dogs, they are the type that work up tracks and make you think they ambushed them.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Posted by swamp1 on 09-21-2018 05:39 PM:

Track or ambush

0le barking 🔔 then ambush gonna win most of competition hunts, up unti now days. A semi to silent can win in right conditions of plenty of coon. With thinning coon population in most parts of country l believe barking deep and lonely will be replaced with feeder coondogs like is already here in someplaces. Possibly good layup dogs in future could be next great breeding when found. I have noticed in past years comp hunters that switched from no open mouth dog on track to open mouth trackdog switching breeds are back searching for some tree, and vice versa in some breeds we're all looking for a secretariat hound and their few and far between most times. One thing I'm certain,that competition hounds will change with thinning coon andadapt to huntrule changes like all other sporting events to win. True first strike lay up dogs are like hens teeth and few have ever seen one.

Posted by swamp1 on 09-21-2018 06:12 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by JiM
World Hunts are won by dogs that get on a roll at the right time. Once in a while a dog will come along and win it all that is a dominating type of dog that wins anywhere under any type of condition. And what I have seen of those dogs, they are the type that work up tracks and make you think they ambushed them.
X2,truth, right conditions and a superb track dog that make tracks look easy, fast. Stand outs, not stand heads.

Posted by Sonny Phipps on 09-21-2018 07:23 PM:

I always thought of it like this: some dogs trail and some dogs make up with there feet for what they don’t have in nose. In those two classes you have both wide open to silent track dogs. Now the age old question of which one wins more? My thought is which one is the most efficient at his/her style on any given night in the cicumstances that are out there. To me , I could have have the perfect cold nosed trailing type and get beat by the ambush dog, if I have the perfect ambush dog & I get beat by a trailing dog. The answer is the most balanced, hard to find and we spend our lives looking for and and training it....... it’s all part of what we love about this sport. JMO

Posted by toddwicks on 09-21-2018 08:18 PM:

I got one that can track or Ambush em.
His downfall is his handler.

2011 RQE NEWPORT,TN 5 TH PLACE
2011 WORLD Qualifier
2011 BnT Days Cast Winner
2012 Cast Winner TN State
2012 3 rd Place Grnt,s BNT days
2012 World Qualifier Meigs Cnty RQE 4 rth place
2012 zones Virginia 4rth place
2012 TOP 100 WORLD HUNT
2013 4th high scoring dog fri night,TN State
2014 World Qualifier

Nt Ch Hammers Black Bear
2014 World Qualifier

Nt Ch Hammers Bigtime Drama
2014 World Qualifier

Posted by Richard Lambert on 09-24-2018 12:25 AM:

So, what type are the top 4 this year?

Posted by swamp1 on 09-24-2018 01:03 AM:

50 to 50 ratio

2 tracking ambushers, 2 ambushers, the tracking ambusher won the world championship.

Posted by novicane65 on 09-24-2018 02:27 AM:

The dog that finished 9th Trax, he's almost silent. He ambushes coons. I saw him tree a pile of coon pleasure hunting when he was pretty young.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy