UKC Forums
Show all 10 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- Off Topic (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=53)
-- Side x sides (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928518360)

Posted by BETHLEHEM BLUES on 05-09-2019 02:46 AM:

Side x sides

Been looking at getting one but can’t decide on which one to get. Honda pioneer 1000, Polaris ranger 900, or the Kawasaki mule FXR??? Any opinions on them would be appreciated, thanks

(RIP) Nt Ch HTX Uchtman first class Jack
(RIP) Gr Nite Ch Yeager’s Wild N Wonderful Ginger

Heikki Yeager (304) 905-3585

Posted by 2nd Mac on 05-09-2019 03:16 AM:

I’ve got the midsized Polaris ranger crew cab with the 570 engine. I love it. It’ll run 50 miles an hour and has no power issues. I’ve got a friend that has the same one. Unless you live in the mountains or are a speed freak the 570 engine is plenty big.

Posted by Driftwoodblue on 05-09-2019 01:47 PM:

Mid size Ranger 570

bought one about 4 years ago.. you can load it into the bed of a standard 8 ft pickup bed if needed. No issues with it so far. I pull a trailer into the timber that will hold about 1/2 cord of wood -- with extended sides on the ranger can get almost as much as a full size pickup on it and the trailer... tough enough.and it is pretty stable on the roads--- just do not get stupid on gravel roads.

Before I before I bought this one I tried a Kawasaki mule (410 I think) it was also a bit narrower. it was surely a bit unstable traveling on rough ground.

Posted by Baggs on 05-10-2019 06:07 PM:

SideXSide

I bought a Pioneer 500 last Sept.

It's a good get around toy. It's the most handy pushing snow and Iowa had plenty of snow this winter.

The sales pitch I was given was, that Pioneers have a transmission where all the other brands were belt drive... That and price.

I rigged a receiver hitch luggage carrier to haul 2 pet carriers. It's not real high off the ground, so your dog doesn't have any real difficulty getting in the carrier. I'd say they set high enough as to not have clearance issues. Taped all the holes in the pet carrier closest the exhaust for fear of carbon monoxide. I'm thinking there is about 12 inches of space between the machine and the carrier.

Naturally the bigger Side X Sides have more passenger room, so I probably should have bought the 700...

Brian

Posted by BETHLEHEM BLUES on 05-11-2019 01:28 AM:

Thanks for the info

I think I narrowed it down to the Polaris & the Honda. Because of the terrain I live in the Kawasaki is a little to big, it’s heavier, longer wheel base & a touch wider. If I lived where it was flat I believe I would try the Kawasaki.

Posted by STROKIN on 05-11-2019 01:02 PM:

I own a Polaris 500 4 wheeler and a Honda 500 pioneer. I almost got stuck in a creek with a rocky bottom with the Polaris because the belt would slip. That’s why I went with the Honda on the side by side. I bought a little bit bigger tires to give it more ground clearance. I can maneuver through the woods better than I could with the Polaris.

Posted by groworg1 on 05-11-2019 02:32 PM:

if you want the best buy a polaris 570 big boss 6x6 will go places the rest can't has electric assist steering seats 2

Posted by CoonBusterWV on 05-13-2019 01:40 PM:

I have a Polaris Ranger 900 XP with power steering. It'll do anything I want it to do here where I live. I have almost 800 miles on mine, mostly hunting, and no trouble yet, thing is with Polaris, keep everything greased, including the wheel bearings!

Posted by RC-Abby on 05-13-2019 11:03 PM:

Polaris Ranger

I have 2013 Ranger 500 mid size. Pull trailer with dog box for hunting. Use another trailer to haul hay straw or what ever. Have sprayer in bed for spraying ditch banks in summer. Use it for running traps. I bought a soft cab and it is a lot nicer in winter now. Want to put a heater in this summer. Also have tow bar on it makes easy to pull with tractors and combine.
But best of all Gramma and Grandkids love it.

Have only wore out one drive belt. Second set of tires. Went to 6 ply tires for better wear and traction. Keep it greased and oil changes per operators manual.

Randi

Posted by BETHLEHEM BLUES on 05-14-2019 05:45 AM:

Can Am

How about the Can Am defender? They look pretty nice. I like several things about this machine after looking at them