UKC Forums
Show all 13 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- Best thermal for the money????? (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928546984)

Posted by jsamuels on 08-08-2022 03:53 AM:

Best thermal for the money?????

Looking at getting a thermal and wanted to get others opinion on what’s the best Coon hunting thermal??? Thanks Joey

Posted by Sonny Phipps on 08-08-2022 05:39 PM:

You get what you pay for with them. I haven’t used or looked through them all but I have seen some review videos on YouTube. I have a AGM taipan 15 and it works well for coon hunting. I believe it was 1300.00 range .

Posted by Larry Hall on 08-09-2022 08:14 PM:

ASP 25 if you can find it.

Posted by PreacherTom on 08-09-2022 09:24 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Larry Hall
ASP 25 if you can find it.

I agree with this. Had a 25 and when I thought my back wasn't gonna let me hunt anymore sold it. Now I am hunting again and have a 15. It's pretty good but I liked the 25 better. Don't think they are making them any more.

Posted by shadinc on 08-10-2022 12:54 AM:

My buddy has a 15 and it seems perfect to me. Keep in mind, that the coon has to be in the tree for it to find him. LOL

Posted by Dave Richards on 08-10-2022 05:00 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc
My buddy has a 15 and it seems perfect to me. Keep in mind, that the coon has to be in the tree for it to find him. LOL

Donald, just use a monkey like the one in Jerry Flowers tale, it's a win win situation, if the dog is lying the monkey will shoot him plus no one likes a lying coon dog. Lol. Dave

Posted by Lance Laymon on 08-10-2022 01:37 PM:

Does anyone have and use the 10?

Posted by shadinc on 08-10-2022 02:20 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
Donald, just use a monkey like the one in Jerry Flowers tale, it's a win win situation, if the dog is lying the monkey will shoot him plus no one likes a lying coon dog. Lol. Dave
If every coon hunter had a Jerry Clower monkey, not many of us would have a coon dog after a few hunts.

Posted by Zero Dark on 08-10-2022 03:21 PM:

I have the agm 10-256 works pretty good for the money. found many of coon this summer with it that would have never seen.

Posted by DanielCoon on 08-10-2022 05:25 PM:

I have the AGM TM15-384. I bought it because the base magnification is 1.5. I was concerned that a lot of other models are 2 and above. Something to consider. Pulsar makes one that is $1500 and its base is 3x. hard to scan a tree at that magnification standing under it. I bought it with only coonhunting in mind. I didn't feel like I needed more resolution than 384x288 for close range scanning. The TM10-256 might be even better if you're only checking trees since its base mag is 1.0 but the resolution is lower so things might be a little more blurry 30-40 yards out.

Posted by PreacherTom on 08-10-2022 09:14 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by PreacherTom
I agree with this. Had a 25 and when I thought my back wasn't gonna let me hunt anymore sold it. Now I am hunting again and have a 15. It's pretty good but I liked the 25 better. Don't think they are making them any more.

Should have made myself a little clearer. For me the image on the 25 was clearer, won't necessarily find more coon but you get a little more definitive picture. Use my 15 all the time and find coons with it that I can't find without it.

Posted by bowling on 08-11-2022 12:42 PM:

15 is Best Buy for the money if it’s there you will find it used both not that much difference. Biggest difference is the dog your hunting. If it’s there you will find it.

Posted by Sonny Phipps on 08-15-2022 01:18 AM:

I hunted with a friend last night that had a ASP 25 and I have the taipan 15-384 . We found coons and swapped them back and forth and changed color modes on them. In both of our opinions the ASP 25 was slightly more clear and and sensitive to the heat. With that said I might be able to adjust mine to be better but haven’t really messed with the settings much. In the end the both were able to find the coons that were hard to see otherwise.