UKC Forums
Show all 4 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- Looking for tips.... (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928522884)

Posted by Tim Lewis on 10-02-2019 04:46 AM:

Looking for tips....

I have a one year old dog that has been hunted solo only 4 times and is very independent with company. He is tight on the ground but when he barks up he only trees for a few seconds and wanders off. When I get to the tree he was at by the tracking unit he has a coon but had went on. What's some tips and pointers to really bring out the tree dog in him and make him lock down til I get there?? Appreciate the help....

Posted by Bruce m. Conkey on 10-02-2019 01:02 PM:

Mr. Lewis if I had a complete picture of the dogs behavior I might come to another conclusion. But not knowing how many coon and under what circumstances he has seen them. In a cage or dead at a tree and his reactions to those encounters. I would offer the following. It is apparent the goal here is to keep him on the tree. First it sounds like he is headed in the right direction especially if you like one tight on the ground. But that may also change.

I said all that to say I would work on making an association between him treeing and then getting a coon down to him and you offering a SMALL amount of praise for him doing a good job. If his actions are positive towards a coon being shot down and increases his excitement. Along with a small acknowledgement that from that he is dong good. I think you will be headed in the right direction and time will solve most issues. I think it is important to try and be close to him when he trees and get him back on the tree. The excitement level bred into these dogs is a double edge sword. Some have to much and some not enough. You dog is young and his hunting has been limited. I would rush things and do something that could have a negative impact on him. I would also ask has he been with other dogs at all when they treed. Might be something to do. I know many advocate hunting solo only. I feel that is great but exposure to other hounds is an impartement of the training process when the time is right.

Posted by Tim Lewis on 10-02-2019 02:48 PM:

Thank you. He has been hunted with other dogs as well, but only trees with them if it's a super hot coon. Last night he went into the tree, never barked, then he went 200 yards away and started treeing. He had a coon but left and went on down the creek. He will fight a coon and was shown a caged coon at 6 months once. He went crazy. He just hasn't really started locking down on tree. He is super independent and if he ever locks down on trees will be a darn good dog. Just need to keep him at the tree he picks. I think staying on his heals and getting to the tree fast is key. He also needs rewarded with a coon I believe.

Posted by Coby Wright on 10-02-2019 03:42 PM:

I had a Young dog doing this. Just keep hunting him and try to stay close. Also if you make it to his tree before he leaves tie him to the tree or as close as possible and let him tree for 15 minutes or so before you recut him or shoot the Coon out.

My dog started doing this during rut last year. Time and praise is usually all that's needed for them to come around. My pup really wanted to have a coon and was trying too hard to be correct so he started second guessing himself, in my opinion.

At Stud: Gr. Nt. Ch. Wright's Stylish Lotto Bawls (click here to see ad)

Former Home of Gr. Nt. Ch. Bawling Rebel.