UKC Forums
Show all 8 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- HOW do they do it? (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928531700)

Posted by Hoosier on 08-03-2020 08:58 PM:

HOW do they do it?

It always amazes me during this time of year that coon can find and destroy a row or 2 of sweet corn and not bother the 200-300 acres of field corn around it. It's ALL corn right? Does sweet corn smell that much different than field corn?

How do they know? How do they find it? They always know and they always do.

How do coon noses compare to a dog or a deer or a bear?

Posted by Ridgerunner1988 on 08-03-2020 09:29 PM:

A coon has a very strong nose just like a deer or a bear do, the sweet corn has a stronger sweeter smell than the field corn does and they can smell it from a mile or further away.

Posted by 4play on 08-03-2020 09:50 PM:

Re: HOW do they do it?

quote:
Originally posted by Hoosier
It always amazes me during this time of year that coon can find and destroy a row or 2 of sweet corn and not bother the 200-300 acres of field corn around it. It's ALL corn right? Does sweet corn smell that much different than field corn?

How do they know? How do they find it? They always know and they always do.

How do coon noses compare to a dog or a deer or a bear?

My Grandpa used to sell sweetcorn.Said they know when it's ripe and hit it hard.Had to put 2 rows electric fence around it.Heard them running away snorting,growling every night once ripe.
Deer would jump in a sometimes tear it down too.

Nitech Stylish Clover Shark Jill - RIP 'Ole Girl
{Great White Shark x Brush Creek Patch}

Posted by qchounds on 08-04-2020 03:28 PM:

I tried roasting an ear of field corn one time.... Never again LOL I bet the coons say the same thing. And the coons always seemed 2 get to the Sweet corn just days before it is ready to be picked...

Posted by pamjohnson on 08-05-2020 12:59 AM:

I have ate field corn before. Needs to be real young, milk stage but it's not very sweet

Posted by pamjohnson on 08-05-2020 01:04 AM:

All corn is different. Have you ever noticed coon or deer eating hard on 1 field but not another. On our farm we get a lot of crop damage so we pay close attention to the variety of corn we choose to plant or where we plant certain varieties.

Posted by 4play on 08-05-2020 03:11 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by pamjohnson
All corn is different. Have you ever noticed coon or deer eating hard on 1 field but not another. On our farm we get a lot of crop damage so we pay close attention to the variety of corn we choose to plant or where we plant certain varieties.

Around me coon won't touch seed corn.The kind where they mow or detassel it and have 2 male row every 6-8 rows.....But ,they will tear up standard field corn.

Friend of mine is field manager for seed corn co.Said they put all kinds of chemical products on the seed before planting.

Nitech Stylish Clover Shark Jill - RIP 'Ole Girl
{Great White Shark x Brush Creek Patch}

Posted by mountaincur on 08-07-2020 02:26 AM:

I don't know the exact scientific answer to how they do it, but it amazes me. I work part time for a sweet corn/produce farmer. I trap as much as my schedule allows, and every year I catch a bunch of critters off his farm. I have caught 14 raccoons in the last 9 days. One family of coons can do terrible damage to the fields in one night.

' Pr' Cash's Berning Ring Of Fire