UKC Forums Pages (2): [1] 2 »
Show all 24 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- Dave Dean's Blueticks (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=206386)

Posted by mjflores on 04-25-2008 09:02 PM:

Dave Dean's Blueticks

Lets hear what people have to say about the CURRENT Dean blooded blueticks. Back in the day they were pretty tough dogs to beat. I have a hound that shows alot of Hammer, and some Spanky blood back in the 5th and 6th generation, but I dont consider him a Dean bred dog. Lets hear from those people who have recently got dogs from him, maybe in the past 5 years to current. What do they have for mouths, noses, brains, grit, etc..

NTCH GRCH 'PR' Stylish Dolly
'PR' Bear Brook Midnight Cruiser
'PR' Bear Brook Midnight Dancer

Posted by blueticks99 on 04-25-2008 09:55 PM:

THE LAST ONE

WE HAVE HAD 2 FEMALES OF THE 18 DOG THAT DIED HERE GOOD MOUTHS ARE THE DESIRE AND GRIT YOU COULD WANT IN A DOG AND TOUGH AS THEY COME.

I HAD A MALE OFF HAMMER 19 THAT WUZ WAY ABOVE AVERAGE AND GOT KILLED WAY TO EARLY.

WE HAVE A GRANDSON TO THE TRAPPER DOG THAT IS GOING TO BE THE REAL DEAL.

WHATS THE POINT OF YOUR POST ANYWAYS THE MANS PUSHING 80 YEARS OLD. WHAT ELSE DOES HE HAVE TO PROVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GRNTCH'PR'BOWIE RIVER BO ...............................................
(WHO ARE WE )"WITHOUT JESUS"
"JESUS" SAID WE CANNOT COME TO THE FATHER EXCEPT THROUGH HIM"HE IS AWESOME,HES MERCIFUL,HES THE KING ABOVE ALL KINGS" DO YOU KNOW HIM "
JASON BARRETT

Posted by Wayne Valentino on 04-25-2008 10:08 PM:

Jason

I don't think he means any disrespect to your Pap... I wonder at times how Hammer 22 would compare to Hammer 2.. By the way any word on how he is after the vehicle accident ??? I hope his recovery is going well...

Posted by scott shaw on 04-26-2008 12:09 AM:

I'm sure Wayne's right. I also would like to here about what
Daves dogs are producing. I haven't been at or talked to Dave in several years. I've had nice dogs out of Hammer X and XVIII
in the past.

Posted by 5 speed on 04-26-2008 02:56 AM:

Last time I was up there, he was playing around with breeding a strain of squirrel dogs. He still had Blue dogs out the wazuu.

If you ever get the chance, talk to him about dogs. I don't care if they are blue dogs, plotts or poodles. Chances are better than average that you will learn something.

Posted by mjflores on 04-26-2008 12:43 PM:

I can assure you I mean no disrespect at all so please dont think that. I'm a redtick man myself, but I've owned blues before and do like a nice blue male. I often think that if I were to get a nice blue prospect, I'd try to get one from Dave Dean. He kinda put the breed on the map. I've also enjoyed reading his articles over the years and have hoped to see his Biography published one of these days. History speaks for itself, and there's no argueing what the original Hammer dogs put into the breed, was simply wondering what that line was producing now-adays. Sorry to ruffle your feathers.

Posted by mjflores on 04-26-2008 12:54 PM:

...upon looking at my old blueticks papers, I can trace him back to Dean's N Blue HammerII in his 7th, too many Dean dogs to count through out, ending with Spare Time Spanky in the 3rd gen, then it melts down to local dogs from there. It's a nice old pedigree of dogs.

Posted by Majestic Tree H on 04-26-2008 01:19 PM:

This is behind Hammer II

>>>>>>Dunaway's Blue Boone,Jr. , UKC #? "Bluetick Coonhound"

>>>Northern Blue Hammer , UKC #? "Bluetick Coonhound"

>>>>>>Sabastian's Blue Penny, UKC #? "Bluetick Coonhound"

Northern Blue Hammer II , UKC C692-914 "Bluetick Coonhound"

>>>>>>Bartley's Blue Wheeler , UKC #? "Bluetick Coonhound"

>>>Dean's Northern Blue Echo, UKC H300,420 "Bluetick Coonhound"

>>>>>>>>>>Lee's Blue Ace, UKC #? "Bluetick Coonhound"

>>>>>>Sabastian's Blue Belle, UKC #? "Bluetick Coonhound"

>>>>>>>>>>Sabastian's Blue Penny, UKC #? "Bluetick Coonhound"

540-421-2875

PR, Saltlick's Blue Misty Linga "Bluetick Coonhound"

French X American Hounds

Posted by John Carroll on 04-26-2008 02:36 PM:

If I was Dave Dean's grandson, I would likely be a little defensive too. It's understandable.

The man is a legend in the Bluetick breed, and has done as much as anybody and more than most to put the Blues on the map.

There is hardly a strain of Blueticks anywhere that hasn't benefited from a few taps of the old Hammer, including the one I prefer.

Having said that, are the hounds tied up at his place hunted down and tuned like the ones he had twenty years ago?

No way they could be. The man is too old to go like he used to.

Still, I don't like to hear anybody badmouth the old fellow. He has probably forgotten more this morning before breakfast about these old hounds than most of us will learn this year.

Gary Uchtman told me that when Dave was a little younger and you drew him in a hunt, you'd best get you a deep seat and a faraway look so to speak, because he would be packing a winner, and would know every hair on him and every bark in him.

For the record, I don't think anyone in this post had any ill intent in anything they posted.

But if someone is so inclined, leave the old man alone. He has nothing left to prove to anybody.

Posted by Jerry West on 04-26-2008 03:37 PM:

Yes, Dave Dean is one of the top 3 or 4 Bluetick breeders of all history. AND one of the nicest fellows you could ever hunt against. Many years ago, I believe in Pine Bluff, I had the pleasure of drawing Dave and Hammer III. I was hunting a very nice female, but she was not even close to III. I was in awe the whole night. Neither Dave nor III missed a beat. It was a treat to see them work together. And Dave was a gentleman in every way.
There has been much Hammer blood in the Nolan Creek dogs over the last 45 years. In the early 60's my dad had two Hammer IV females. Both nice hounds. Later, we owned a very nice male out of X. After that, dad bought a male out of XIII (? I think).
I have letters that Dave wrote to my dad back in the 60's. I greatly treasure them. My dad is gone now, and I truly enjoy reading as Dave told my dad about the "Hammers" and the plans he had for the Blueticks. I don't thing Dave ever intended to be the great man he is today. I think all he ever wanted to to was better the Bluetick breed. AND he certainly did that.

Gr Ch Nt Ch Nolan Creek Chief's Pride (Grandson and greatgrandson to Smokey River Chief)
Dual Ch Nolan Creek Thundering Apache
Nite Ch Gr Ch Nolan Creek Blue Sable
Dual Ch Nolan Crk Diamond HTX2

Still Standing Proud!!
Gr Ch Nt Ch Nolan Creek Chug-A-Lug
Gr CH Nolan Creek Pride's Joy
Ch Nolan Creek Lonesome Dove

Nolan Creek Blue Chug-A-Lug Jr HTX
Ch Nolan Creek Blue Kara
Newest: Ch Nolan Creek Hammering Spanky (Hammer XIII X Sady Lady)

Posted by Blue Iron on 04-26-2008 05:02 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Jerry West
Yes, Dave Dean is one of the top 3 or 4 Bluetick breeders of all history. AND one of the nicest fellows you could ever hunt against. Many years ago, I believe in Pine Bluff, I had the pleasure of drawing Dave and Hammer III. I was hunting a very nice female, but she was not even close to III. I was in awe the whole night. Neither Dave nor III missed a beat. It was a treat to see them work together. And Dave was a gentleman in every way.
There has been much Hammer blood in the Nolan Creek dogs over the last 45 years. In the early 60's my dad had two Hammer IV females. Both nice hounds. Later, we owned a very nice male out of X. After that, dad bought a male out of XIII (? I think).
I have letters that Dave wrote to my dad back in the 60's. I greatly treasure them. My dad is gone now, and I truly enjoy reading as Dave told my dad about the "Hammers" and the plans he had for the Blueticks. I don't thing Dave ever intended to be the great man he is today. I think all he ever wanted to to was better the Bluetick breed. AND he certainly did that.

Excellent Post!

GRCH GRNITECH"PR" Blue Iron Brummy HTX

Top 100 Finalist 2012 UKC World Hunt.

King of Hunt 2013 BBOA National Bluetick Days

Tree Blue

I use and recommend Backwoods Supplies

Posted by scott shaw on 04-26-2008 08:33 PM:

After visiting Dave at the Cabin a few times years ago and
talking to him for hours, the one thing that impressed me the
most about Dave was his intelligence. I believe it would be
hard to find a more intelligent man. My hunting partner at the
time hunted Walkers going back to Spring Creek Rock and
Dave had many stories about hunting against Rock and what
a coon dog he was. What was really something was that Dave
remembered my friends name a year after talking to him the
first time.

Posted by Travis P on 04-26-2008 08:34 PM:

If I was to ever have a bluetick at my house it would have to come directly from dave deans house. I have never talked to him but I figure that anyone that cares as much about anything as he cares about blueticks would not sell any junk.

Posted by blueticks99 on 04-26-2008 10:30 PM:

i have not

NO FEATHERS RUFFLED HERE

I HAVE NOT HAD THE OPPURTUNITY TO OWN ANYTHING OUT OF THE NEWEST HAMMERS AS ITS A LONG DRIVE UP THERE AND ALOT OF MONEY TO HAVE ONE HAULED/SHIPPED.

BUT WHEN HE SPEAKS OF THOSE DOGS HE TALKS ABOUT THEM JUST AS HE DID THE DOGS OF LONG AGO.. ESPECIALLY THE HAMMER 24 DOG DONT KNOW WHAT IT IS BOUT HIM BUT THERE MUST BE SOMETHING SPECIAL ABOUT HIM HE SPEAKS HIGHLY OF HIM.. AS FAR AS HUNTING AND PROMOTING ONE OF THEM THAT IS HIGHLY DOUBTFUL HES JUST DOING WHAT HE HAS BEEN DOING MOST OF HIS LIFE AND STILL ENJOYING IT.

GRNTCH'PR'BOWIE RIVER BO ...............................................
(WHO ARE WE )"WITHOUT JESUS"
"JESUS" SAID WE CANNOT COME TO THE FATHER EXCEPT THROUGH HIM"HE IS AWESOME,HES MERCIFUL,HES THE KING ABOVE ALL KINGS" DO YOU KNOW HIM "
JASON BARRETT

Posted by Wingman66 on 12-01-2008 11:19 PM:

"You know when you show up at the hunts with a 'fair' dog that everyone wins against, you sure are a 'good ole boy'. When you show up with a 'sure enough' coondog that beats everyone, you suddenly become a sorry sob". -- told to me by Dave Dean.

Yep Mr Dean, they just don't understand us west TN boys lol...

"Kim Jong-Un speaks and his people sit up at attention. I want my people to do the same.” An actual sitting US President said that. Let that sink in.

Posted by STAR on 12-02-2008 01:38 AM:

My 2 Cents

My dogs carry older Hammer blood via Northern Blue Becky by Hammer 5 , don't know much about the newer Hammers , but have ran with 10 , 8 , 18 , Spanky and all were impressive , Dave Dean is a living legend and he is all rite in my books .

Posted by Runthewoods on 12-02-2008 03:37 AM:

curious

I dont suppose any one ever had any semen drawn and stored off of any of the first hammer dogs did they?

Posted by Jay Chadwick on 12-02-2008 03:40 AM:

Re: My 2 Cents

quote:
Originally posted by STAR
My dogs carry older Hammer blood via Northern Blue Becky by Hammer 5 , don't know much about the newer Hammers , but have ran with 10 , 8 , 18 , Spanky and all were impressive , Dave Dean is a living legend and he is all rite in my books .

Word brother....God bless the Hammerman...We all owe him alot.

Posted by J.R. Heiny on 12-02-2008 05:19 AM:

hammer nlood runs thick

I have a stud right now out of skunk river lil blue knight wich is out of southern knight in conclusion this dog has hammer right up the 4thor third generation. I am here to say from yhe get go this dog has been natural from the start and has a big loud explosive bawl on track and and a big loud explosive chop on tree and has the looks to go with the gritt brains ability and much more. My stud dog is ch 'pr' blue maples southern lead featured in my ad in the blue book on page 231. our next ad will have a pic of him treeing and one with last years coon a few of them.

J.R.