UKC Forums
Show all 6 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- When it is all said and done. (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928536463)

Posted by Bruce m. Conkey on 01-30-2021 10:50 PM:

When it is all said and done.

I know a lot of young folks come on here wanting to learn how to get a nice hound. There are a lot of nice hounds out there. The secret is to eliminate the foolishness that prevents so many dogs from being a good hound. It is not finding that special one. Many will tree a Coon. It's the stupid stuff between trees that needs to be eliminated. Once you get a good one you can actually ask yourself. What's so special. He just trees Coon. What's special is not being stupid. What's special is being able to track which is what a hound is suppose to do. What's special is having a Coon in the tree which a coonhound is suppose to have. What's special is you understand what you are suppose have on your leash and don't settle for less.

Posted by Cory Highfill on 01-30-2021 11:11 PM:

Yessir.
Its kinda like carving a wooden Indian. You just take a piece of wood and cut off anything that doesn't look like an Indian.
If theres a coondog in there, you just turn them loose and make them quit doing anything that doesnt look like a coondog.

The disappointment comes when you carve and carve, but there wasn't enough wood there to make the indian in the first place...

Posted by Dave Richards on 01-30-2021 11:22 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Cory Highfill
Yessir.
Its kinda like carving a wooden Indian. You just take a piece of wood and cut off anything that doesn't look like an Indian.
If theres a coondog in there, you just turn them loose and make them quit doing anything that doesnt look like a coondog.

The disappointment comes when you carve and carve, but there wasn't enough wood there to make the indian in the first place...

I love this post, lol, best analogy one could ask for. Is there enough wood to carve an Indian? Is there enough brains and ability to make a real coon dog? Some are close, we just run out of wood. Lol. Dave

Posted by Richard Lambert on 01-31-2021 12:17 AM:

How true, I have seen many "special" hounds that weren't really "special". All they did was just tree coons but that was all they did. When you turned them loose, they only had one thing on their mind.

Posted by Will Walker on 01-31-2021 02:33 AM:

Myself and a buddy were talking about this today. Good dogs are hard to find and most dont know what a good one is to begin with, let alone know how to make one. Everyone wants instant gratification in these dogs which dont happen.

Posted by Dave Richards on 01-31-2021 02:33 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
How true, I have seen many "special" hounds that weren't really "special". All they did was just tree coons but that was all they did. When you turned them loose, they only had one thing on their mind.

Mr. Lambert, you are certainly a blessed man to have seen many "special" dogs that all they wanted was to tree a coon and only had that on their mind. I am 72 and have NOT seen many at all. Seen many decent dogs that trees a lot of coons, but had other things on their mind at times. Dave p.s. I would be seriously interested in one of those dogs you described .