UKC Forums Pages (7): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Show all 155 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- Tracking ability? (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928528699)

Posted by yadkintar on 03-31-2020 02:16 PM:

Tracking ability?

What makes dogs have superior tracking ability over others.

Are they more intelligent ?

Tar

Posted by sleepy head on 03-31-2020 02:20 PM:

No

Posted by delta nightlife on 03-31-2020 02:47 PM:

Re: Tracking ability?

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
What makes dogs have superior tracking ability over others.

Are they more intelligent ?

Tar

They probably have a lot more hunt time over others, so that means they will be more intelligent than others

Posted by ronald schultz on 03-31-2020 04:04 PM:

I think tracking ability is mostly instinct

The instinct gets maximized by experience and intelligence gained!!!

Posted by ronald schultz on 03-31-2020 04:06 PM:

There are dogs with very limited experience and knowledge that

Will put track much more experienced dogs. This is done by Instinct!!!

Posted by Kler Kry on 03-31-2020 04:38 PM:

Superior tracking ability

I believe that it takes a combination of things and some of them are:
* the DESIRE to catch the game, once a hound is whipped by the game they may chase it, but have lost the desire to abuse their bodies and catch the game at all cost.
A hound with intense desire requires a lesser amount of scent to motivate them.
*Heredity, Genetics, Without high physical and mental ability you just have a nice dog.

And most important is a owner/handler who doesn't think that they can motivate to train superior tracking ability. Mr. Derden once explained breeding by saying "You can't get pecans from a peanut plant"
As ever, Ken Risley

Posted by yadkintar on 03-31-2020 07:27 PM:

I have seen young dogs with very little experience naturally out track and out tree older dogs with years of experience.

Tar

Posted by Mike Van Dusen on 03-31-2020 11:34 PM:

If you want to see how a dog should run a Racoon,go to Folsum La. and hunt with Terry Perkins Banjo dog.
He can drive a track like a Coondog should.
I drove 15 hours and we hunted from 8:30 until 4:00 am.
We treed several racoon,and the last one was more impressive than the first,the little dog has a huge heart!

"Coma Power"
"It's in the blood"
HOME- 219-326-7907
CELL-219-575-0067

Posted by yadkintar on 03-31-2020 11:45 PM:

I would rather hear a dog start a bad track and get it jumped and push it to the tree than tree three pop ups but that’s just me.

Tar

Posted by FLYbyNIGHT on 04-01-2020 12:02 AM:

quote:
I would rather hear a dog start a bad track and get it jumped and push it to the tree than tree three pop ups but that’s just me.

Tar

X2

Posted by Cotton 1927 on 04-01-2020 12:35 AM:

quote:

X3
Tar

Posted by Reuben on 04-01-2020 12:54 AM:

Tracking ability...it varies in different dogs for many reasons and hunting the dog will improve the dogs tracking ability...but this dog will always be average...

A great hunting dog is born...he is born with superior intelligence and hunting drive...and another thing that makes him a great hunting dog is the ability to work a track and find the hot end and take it ahead of the other dogs...add having the knack in knowing where to look for game just makes it easy for that dog...I really like a dog that doesn’t need much training...

Years ago a 10 week old puppy showed me he could track and find in my back yard and he showed me more at 4 months and by ten months old he could compete with the best of them...at 12-14 months he was pretty awesome...
He taught me it’s not about age or hunting time that makes superior tracking or hunting ability...

Posted by shadinc on 04-01-2020 01:45 AM:

I'm hunting one now that's going to be 9 months old on Thursday. First time I took her to the woods I didn't expect anything from her. She had only seen 2 released coon. Both went about 50 feet. She treed both. She was 6 months and 27 days old and ran a coon 500 yards and treed him. Two nights later she treed a lay-up. Two nights after that she struck one hot and ran him about a mile through 2 deep sloughs, one over my hip boots, And treed him in a cypress tree in about a foot of water. Where did she learn to do this? I have her 4 year old full sister that I thought was the most natural I ever saw, until this one. Their sire and dam are both excellent track dogs.

Posted by Dave Richards on 04-01-2020 04:48 AM:

Donald Bergeron

I think you know where she got from if the mom and dad both were good track dogs! You may need to make that cross again, we need more good track dogs. JS. dave

Posted by Nathan Phenix on 04-01-2020 10:13 AM:

One of fastest I ever saw and would catch more coon on ground than I ever saw done something I think very few dogs do. First he run with his head up and push track but what made him stand out was when he made a loose he would almost automatically start making circles each one getting bigger until he picked up track. Always thought that was what made him stand out.

Bayou Creek Black and Tan’s

Nathan Phenix
417-255-5697

Posted by Clovis A Nailor on 04-01-2020 11:16 AM:

I had a Nailor female that was the most honest track running female I have ever owned when she smelled a coon she would open with a huge Male dog mouth and not 1 ounce of babble in her. She wasn't a competition dog she wanted to be right when she treed but when the wind was blowing or raining or just bad conditions she is the one I would take because I knew she would tree a coon. She wasn't the fastest thing in fact I got picked on because she ran like a bluetick. But to me a dog that will grub up a cold trail and get it treed with the grease is what I like.

Posted by pamjohnson on 04-01-2020 02:20 PM:

I had a male dog years ago that showed me no amount of hunting was ever going to make him a better track dog. Yes he could tree coon and look good doing it at times . He was even a very accurate dog. But still in the end he buggered around to much and ran tracks he couldn't handle to often. During the winter you would freeze your feet waiting to often. A beautiful bawl mouth dog to listen to that didn't under or over use his mouth. He wasn't a dumb dog. He wasn't an overpowering tree dog so some would call him a track dog but believe me he wasn't a good track dog. Just a track dog that I wouldn't never breed and was glad when he was gone.

Posted by DMG_3 on 04-01-2020 02:31 PM:

Easy answer tar!

LIPPER!!

Posted by yadkintar on 04-01-2020 02:52 PM:

Re: Easy answer tar!

quote:
Originally posted by DMG_3
LIPPER!!

Hunted them with a pillow lol. I mean the ones direct out of him they were full of it I didn’t even try and go to them till daylight. But lipper was probly my top 5 fastest track dogs I ever seen people accused him of running junk and ending up on a coon no he was just that fast even on a cold track the other dogs couldn’t move. Me and Corey went last night my female struck and in 20 minutes she was 980 yards treed a cross a roaring deep flooded creek. We had to drive 10 miles around to the other side she had been treed 1 1/2 hr when we got there he was a good running coon so we left him for next time.

Tar

Posted by ronald schultz on 04-01-2020 03:22 PM:

I gave a really good young track dog to teenager years ago.

His dad shocked him off of coon because dads dogs had no tracking ability whatsoever and the idiot thought the good pup was trashing! Finally the kid let me know, but by that time dad had him broke off coon so I gave him to a young bear hunter !!! Thanks Bill Barton, did you ever have a good coondog?!

Posted by Josh Michaelis on 04-01-2020 04:39 PM:

Dogs with real track talent are just born with it. I've never seen a common track dog get much better with age.

Posted by shadinc on 04-01-2020 04:49 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Josh Michaelis
Dogs with real track talent are just born with it. I've never seen a common track dog get much better with age.
Yep

Posted by pigsit on 04-01-2020 05:24 PM:

Iive owned a number of outstanding track dogs over the years, and you can sure tell the difference when they string common dogs out behind them.

Dual GRNTCH Wendy
GRNTCH Cola
GrNtCH Honky Tonk Rock and Roll
Dual GRCH Bumper
Dual CH June
Dual CH Jill

Posted by DL NH on 04-01-2020 05:34 PM:

quote:

Tar

👍👍 Spot on! Been my experience when a hound does as you've described they are less likely to have an empty tree at the end. Not say'n it happens 100% but the percentage seems to be a lot higher when a track that starts out cold, turns into a hot running track and then has that brief moment of silence, the locate and lock down treed usually results in meat in the tree!

Posted by shawn mullinnix on 04-02-2020 12:57 PM:

Ever wondered why Michael Jordan or Lebron James was born with more God given talent than the rest?