UKC Forums
Show all 15 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- Old Smokey River Diamond Jim offspring (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=189624)

Posted by Craig Edwards on 01-30-2008 09:35 PM:

Old Smokey River Diamond Jim offspring

Just wondering how many are old enough/ been hunting Smokey River long enough to have owned or hunted with sons or daughters out of old Jim.

Here is a picture of a young dog I owned in the early seventies out of D.J.. His name was Blue Ridge Diamond Jim. A real track, and tree dog.

Home of Mayberry Blueticks
Jhn. 3:30, "He must increase, but I must decrease."

Posted by Craig Edwards on 01-30-2008 09:40 PM:

Another son of Diamond Jim in the late 70's. He was out of D.J. X Okla.Blue Bell

Posted by Robert Welch on 01-31-2008 07:28 AM:

Hunted with!

Ch Ellis Blue Jim- When Jeff Browder owned him and then a couple more times when Matt Turner owned him.

Posted by Wayne Valentino on 01-31-2008 11:52 AM:

hunted

with DJ offspring and grand pups from him... Good dogs !!!

Posted by Majestic Tree H on 01-31-2008 01:44 PM:

I have him back their a few times and it seams to be working well

540-421-2875

PR, Saltlick's Blue Misty Linga "Bluetick Coonhound"

French X American Hounds

Posted by SoSh on 01-31-2008 02:54 PM:

hunted with bayou blue jim, and owned several pups out of him.

Posted by SCBluetickGirl on 01-31-2008 05:51 PM:

I got an old September 1976 Full Cry magazine today and this ad is on the first page. Figured I'd post it!

Aight guys, this ain't a bench show and I ain't a hound. Keep ya eyes where they need to be.

Posted by josh neeley on 01-31-2008 05:57 PM:

my dad had one named hotshot out of jim and it was by far the best blue dog I have ever seen flat smoke a coon

Nite ch 'PR' C+N Sweet Little fatty(rambler and ash)
Nite ch 'PR'Northern Rebel High Strung Diva "co-owned with Jr Kingsley"

Posted by Craig Edwards on 02-01-2008 01:55 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by SCBluetickGirl
I got an old September 1976 Full Cry magazine today and this ad is on the first page. Figured I'd post it!

The second picture I posted is a littermate to the Fibber dog in lower right hand side of this ad.

I didn't realize there were so many " Old Timers " on here.
I never hunted with, or heard of a silent dog or an ill dog out of Diamond Jim. Percentages say there would have to be some, but I never saw or heard of them.

Posted by Craig Edwards on 02-01-2008 02:04 AM:

Matt, I would say you have as much, or more of old Diamond Jim's blood than anyone in the country.
I think you and Shane are doing a good job at preserving his blood. I hope I can get some of it (the blood you have) here in N.C..
I remember back in the early days, even bluetick men laughed at my dogs because of their light color. They accused them of being part walker, or part bird dog. When the tailgate dropped the laughing stopped.
Needless to say they are not laughing anymore. I know there are a lot of good bloodlines within the breed, but I'm hooked.

Look at the resemblence of Blue Ridge Diamond Jim, and S.R. Diamond Jim. I got Jim as a pup. He started as easily as a dog could start. Had the go in him from the beginning, and was a real tree dog.

The D.J. dogs that I hunted were the most balanced hounds I've ever seen. They, for the most part, had it all from strike, track, to tree.

Posted by V. Cannon on 02-01-2008 02:36 AM:

I had the good fortune of hunting with many DJ pups, I felt like I was hunting the best line that the bluetick breed had to offer.

Craig I saw several DJ dogs that was very tight mouthed or silent.

Posted by Craig Edwards on 02-01-2008 03:11 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by V. Cannon
I had the good fortune of hunting with many DJ pups, I felt like I was hunting the best line that the bluetick breed had to offer.

Craig I saw several DJ dogs that was very tight mouthed or silent.

I thought about you when I started this thread. I had wondered what happened to you, and how you were doing.

I knew you hunted with, and were familiar with some of the best D.J. reproduced. I never saw, or heard of any that were silent, but I felt there had to be some, as many pups as he produced.

The old Smokey River Spud dog I had would throw a silent pup in just about every litter he sired. They told me Dryfork BLue Spud would produce a silent/tight mouth in just about every litter he reproduced.

I'm sure they are in every strain. Seems like some are worse than others.

Posted by Craig Edwards on 02-01-2008 03:16 AM:

The best Diamond Jim dog I ever knew about, or hunted with was owned by Frank Hall (deceased) from Stuart, Va..

She was out of D.J., and Blue Gal. ( Littermate to Majesty and Kit)
She sure did not give any loose mouth. When she opened she had the track figured out and was moving on. On a bad track she would open here and there and get it going or treed.

Most of the ones I owned/hunted with were like that. They did not have a loose bark in their body. When they opened, the other dogs had best be there if they wanted to get in on the race.

Posted by BRYAN J on 02-01-2008 03:30 AM:

Craig another old timer is my uncle Duane Sloan. 77 and hunting whenever I want to go.

He sure would have hunt with some of the hounds were are speaking of I bet and knows the line well.

He loves to talk blue dogs!

SAVE THE COON, HUNT WITH A HOUND!

Posted by mitch39 on 04-07-2013 03:26 AM:

Old Diamond Jim

I bred to Old Diamond in the 70s one the best dogs I ever had then came back to Ellis Blue Jim (son of DJ) Mitchell's Idaho Blue Jim (his Marking is are all most identical to Old DJ) Ken Hitchcock has him in MI now as I had to get out.due to age (73) & cancer)
Good dogs