UKC Forums Pages (7): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Show all 166 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- Diamond Dog Food (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=405230)

Posted by II Chance on 02-05-2011 09:28 PM:

Diamond Dog Food

What u all think about diamond dog food?

Posted by Josh Priefer on 02-05-2011 09:33 PM:

the green bag ant bad it like 26-18 all the others i tried i hated

Posted by Craig Cooper on 02-05-2011 10:44 PM:

I feed Diamond Naturals Chicken and Rice.Dogs like it, look really good and very little clean up. No corn,soy or wheat so it is very digestible.Tractor Supply carries it. You can go to the Diamond Pet Food website and you can look up feed stores that carry it. Hope this helps.

Posted by azmuddawg on 02-05-2011 11:28 PM:

How much are you paying for a bag?

CH Rainwaters Rumblin Rose
Dirty Deeds Rebellious One

Sinner by Nature.Saved by Grace.

Posted by SMH on 02-06-2011 12:40 AM:

Just started feeding the extreme athlete,let you know what I think when I finish the bag.

Posted by CSnowgren on 02-06-2011 12:49 AM:

Just like any feed, they have their formulas that attract the tightwads, and they have their formulas that cost more and are actually made of better ingredients. Sorta like when you pull up to the gas pump, you have a choice. It is upto you as far as what type of fuel you want to run on, 87 or something with a little higher octane.

Posted by ahinsch on 02-06-2011 01:25 AM:

Their Naturals line is really good feed. I also like the high energy. Just make sure you follow their feeding guidlines. Many people feed way too much or don't stick to it long enough for their dogs to adjust then they blame the feed. I can usually find 50# bag of high energy for around $26. And 40# of Naturals for closer to $30 and I believe the Naturals extreme athlete for a little over $30. People compain about the price without realizing that you only need to feed about half as much per day as you would with el cheapo feed.

Posted by II Chance on 02-06-2011 01:25 AM:

Diamond Premium

It's not to bad.

Posted by CSnowgren on 02-06-2011 01:27 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by ahinsch
Their Naturals line is really good feed. I also like the high energy. Just make sure you follow their feeding guidlines. Many people feed way too much or don't stick to it long enough for their dogs to adjust then they blame the feed. I can usually find 50# bag of high energy for around $26. And 40# of Naturals for closer to $30 and I believe the Naturals extreme athlete for a little over $30. People compain about the price without realizing that you only need to feed about half as much per day as you would with el cheapo feed.

And then people freak out because the dog loses wieght.....and blame the feed. The reality is that most of that wieght was not needed and was actually hurting the dogs performance. Oh my!!

Posted by II Chance on 02-06-2011 01:29 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by ahinsch

Thanks II CHance

Posted by II Chance on 02-06-2011 01:36 AM:

Pups

have been feeding my pups purina puppy chow till they are one year.

Posted by Nick Mares on 02-06-2011 02:44 AM:

diamond dog food

i started feeding diamond hi-energy a couple months ago and mine seems to be doin good. $25 for 50 pound bag

Posted by James Garrison on 02-06-2011 03:00 AM:

My local feed store has Diamond Hi-Energy 50 lb. on sale for 19.99 through Feb. 14th. I think I'll pick up a few sacks. People do feed their hounds to much. I have fed Diamond on and off for many years and found it to be about as good as your going to get. My all time favorite was Black Gold but no close dealer now.

Gr. Nt. Ch. Garrisons Brindle Hobo
Gr. Nt. Ch. Garrisons Brindle Luke
Gr. Nt. Ch. Garrisons Brindle Honey
Nite Ch. Garrisons Brindle Lead Nite Ch. Garrisons Brindle Belle
Nite Champion Garrisons Brindle Buckshot HTX
At Stud Grand Nite Ch. Garrisons Brindle Trax

Posted by ahinsch on 02-06-2011 03:12 AM:

Re: Pups

quote:
Originally posted by II Chance
have been feeding my pups purina puppy chow till they are one year.

There is really no need to feed a "puppy" food. Just start them on a quality meat based feed that you would feed to the rest of your dogs. Purina puppy chow and dog chow is mostly corn.....junk....IMO

Posted by Harris'sEnglish on 02-06-2011 03:34 AM:

Ive

Fed Diamond Hi-Energy for several years at the tractor supply close to home it is 19 somethin a #50 bag. If you are hunting the dog a lot it is good for the price. If you don't hunt a lot the dogs will gain more weight, but the mess in the pen is minimal. It is also great for puppies ( The High Energy 24-20) for the fat content. Hope that helps.

Bandy Harris

Posted by ahinsch on 02-07-2011 03:33 AM:

Re: Feedback about Diamond Food

quote:
Originally posted by II Chance
Thanks very much to all of who give feedback to the thread I started about diamond dog food. I got out of coonhunting in 1989
had Beagles and they now have lived thier short life span. Had great times with Grandson and Grandaughter teaching them the sport. I have always felt the fire for coonhunting when ever I hread about a good friend of mine winning a major coonhunting events. now Granddaughter has moved on, but Grandson age 16 has the fire burning in his eyes for the coonhound world. I gave him a pickup had to build a dogbox like the one in an old pictrure of me and Russel Bellar about the year 1980 for it. Grandson has dug out all my old pictures of coonhounds that have passed years ago. He has me really wanting to go coonhunting again. So here I go for the II Chance.
"There's good'uns and Bad'uns in all Breeds, thats what makes the Coonhunting world go round."

That's great! Hope you two tree many coons together and drive the wheels off that old truck.

Posted by stevesflyshop on 02-07-2011 07:16 AM:

I fed diamond high energy to all my dogs in the past and they all did ok on it. I switched to black gold (black bag) and don't have as much cleanup and am going through less feed. Cost wise I think I'm spending less now that I am feeding less. I feed 5-6 cups per dog per day, depending on their size and activities. If I couldn't get black gold, I'd go back to the diamond brand.

Posted by Mike Donaldson on 02-07-2011 12:14 PM:

Diamond Naturals - good. All other Diamond - not so good. Like comparing apples to oranges. JMO

Mike Donaldson
donaldsonmb@bellsouth.net

Posted by hopm on 02-07-2011 01:01 PM:

When and if you switch....give it time and know different dogs respond differently to different feeds. Took 3 bags of Extreme Athlete to really see the effedts of the feed.

Posted by Poison on 02-07-2011 01:04 PM:

I'm feeding the Diamond Naturals line of feed,very good results so far and the price is not bad either.

Posted by Brad Roe on 02-07-2011 01:53 PM:

I fed Purina Pro Plan for 10+ years. They have slowly priced me out of the market. I began looking for a feed that would be very comparable to Pro Plan just without the price. I did a side by side ingredient comparision of several feeds and the closest I was able to find was Diamond Extreme Athlete. I decided to give it a try even though I was very skeptical.

First thing I noticed when I opened the bag was the smell. The Diamond almost stunk in comparision to the Pro Plan. The clean-up is the same, but I am feeding less and maintaining weight while hunting 4-5 nights a week. I would say so far I am very pleased with the Diamond. I have been feeding it for just bout a month.

Posted by cwest on 02-07-2011 02:29 PM:

junk dogs went off feed lots of crap switched to ultra better bang for the buck

Posted by TreeLuke on 02-07-2011 04:09 PM:

You can check your feed out here for yourself.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/

Posted by pressley09 on 02-07-2011 04:39 PM:

im feeding mine RIVER RUN it a 24 20 with hi energy. good for active dogs and he is starting to look good.

Posted by tmlyon on 02-08-2011 02:34 AM:

Hi-Standard Dog Food

I tried Diamond several times but never had any good results with their products.

I have been feeding Hi-Standard for the last three years and the price is great. In fact I gave a sample to US government FBI agent and he sent it to a US Government forensic person.

The forensic person broke it down under a micro scope and said that this is best dog food on the market. They compared it over 20 different kinds and it came out on top.

They are feeding it to all the sniff dogs at the airport and the all the k-9 patrol dogs.

In my area it is going for $25.00 per bag unless you buy a pallet than it is $23.00 per bag.

Good Luck