UKC Forums Pages (5): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Show all 102 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Big Game Hunting (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=36)
-- Hounds Killed by Wolves (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=325714)

Posted by jay ritchie on 01-14-2010 05:30 AM:

Hounds Killed by Wolves

On Tuesday Jan 5th my 2yr old B@T and a walker owned by Mel Siefke, of Libby MT. were slaughtered by a pack of wolves while treeing a lion in the Yaak River valley , North of Troy, MT. There is no way to describe how brutal this killing was. We contacted F@G and they informed us that our hounds had trailed the cat onto a ridge where the wolves den. They were doomed. Miraculously my young redbone female and another male walker escaped unharmed. All of our dogs had bells on, and we never saw a wolf track until we got to where it happened. We took photos and are getting as much attention as we can, people need to see what these beasts are capable of. It is a terrible thing and I miss my dog. I will get even!!!
Jay Ritchie
Troy, Mt

R.I.P. Top and Brody

Posted by David Boggs on 01-14-2010 07:37 AM:

try

the sss it will work man killed them darn things out 4 a reason

Posted by Todd K / UKC on 01-14-2010 01:18 PM:

Sorry to hear about that Jay. I feel for you guys that have to run in wolf country as I know it would be constantly on my mind and hard to deal with.

I wanted to post something along this line the other day. This topic came up in a discussion at work with a co-worker who has doubts on how often this happens. Does anybody have any idea how often there are wolf / hound conflicts in the wolf inhabited states? Is it pretty rare or fairly frequent and is it getting worse?

Posted by Kyle W. Graf on 01-14-2010 03:42 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by todd kellam

I wanted to post something along this line the other day. This topic came up in a discussion at work with a co-worker who has doubts on how often this happens. Does anybody have any idea how often there are wolf / hound conflicts in the wolf inhabited states? Is it pretty rare or fairly frequent and is it getting worse?

http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/er/mamma...f/dogdepred.htm

Are bear season was severly hampered by wolves. We did not turn out when we heard wolves howling or had fresh wolf tracks on the bait.

This reduced out hunting area to about 10% of our normal hunting area. I can not tell you how frustrating it is to have this wolf overpopulation program forced on us.
Kyle

Posted by BIGCASTLEDAWGS on 01-14-2010 04:10 PM:

SO SORRY...

... hate to hear this....

I'm sorry for the loss of your hounds... SIGH,
Heather

Posted by bear dogger on 01-15-2010 04:08 PM:

wolves

Todd Kellum you do hunt in a wolf poulated state. I live in Northern Michigan and hunt in the U.P., we have seen more and more wolf sign and talked to alot of people who have had conflicts more and more. I live in Northrn Lower Michigan and have talked to people who have now had sightings and contact with wolves in Northern Lower Michigan, several guys have run in to them coyote hunting this winter. Beware they are populating and spreading there range in Michigan.

Posted by Todd K / UKC on 01-15-2010 08:52 PM:

Oh, I know. I saw plenty of wolf sign cat hunting in the U.P. I was just trying to get a feel for how many houndsmen had actually had dogs injurred or killed by wolves. I know it happens. I was just trying to get an idea how frequently it happens.

Don't get me wong...not a wolf fan here.

Posted by Larry Hall on 01-15-2010 09:18 PM:

Jay,

understand your pain

However i would edit this post immediately

your reference about getting even is not in your best interest

If something happens to a wolf in that area and one of the Peta types monitors these posts and sees it

You are in for a world of hurt brother, and i don't know you and i don't want to see that happen to you

condolences

LH

Posted by jay ritchie on 01-15-2010 09:40 PM:

Larry,
We have a wolf season in Montana now, Tags are over the counter...we will handle it that way. Thanks for your concern, and kind words.
Thanks
Jay

Posted by David Boggs on 01-16-2010 04:27 AM:

the best way

my kin that live in michigan told me how to handel the wolfs is to be VERRY GOOD TO THEM THEY FEED THEM LOTS OF left over deer meat and even watch them from a fare away as 250 yards at night with red lens and even in the day time they just love watching them and they are spredding verry fast so just watch them close,,SSS and just keeps watching there packs my kin loves the wolfs and all that live there should to david

Posted by fatboy77 on 01-17-2010 02:29 AM:

we had two dogs killed in our bear pack this last season by wolves so i know what you seen i dont wish that upon anyone and if you can by permits kill them all

NCh PR KRAUSES NORTHWOOD timber diva
2nd place nitech heartland classic friday nite 500+

Tim & Laura Krause

Posted by jay ritchie on 01-17-2010 04:34 AM:

Fatboy,
I'm sorry for your loss...Thanks for your support. I can't think of a worse way for a hound to go. Thanks again, I'll think of your hounds too when I pull the trigger! Legally of course....

Posted by curveball on 01-17-2010 05:39 AM:

I'm very sorry to here about your hounds. I live in Chester and used to hunt the front alot, not so much anymore. EVERYTIME I ran a cat so far this year I've had wolves come in on top of the dogs. EVERY TIME!!!! Sucks the fun right out of cat hunting. It takes 2 years to get a young dog under enough game to see if they are a cat dog or not and then you have to run as fast as the dogs to keep the wolves from getting a snack. Garmin has made it a little easier but it still stinks. At least I get to tree coon without wolves around but that is even changing with the over abundance of grizzlies that are showing up on the flats and river bottoms. Montana is a ruff place to be a hound these days for sure.

Posted by rmcmillan on 01-17-2010 09:12 PM:

Sorry about your hounds. My brother lives in Idaho and he says all the elk and deer hunters are fired up about the wolves. His friend had two hounds ( bear dogs ) killed by them. Post your pics on here for all to see. The darn animal people should feel sorry for the hounds also. But I know they are against us all.

Nt.Ch. Gr.Ch. Gr.WCh. Pr. McMillans Blue Crystal
Ntch. GrCh. Pr. McMillans Blue Magic
Gr.Nt.Ch. Pr. McMillans Blue Hawk
Nt. Ch. Pr. McMillans Blue Rage
all are gone now but will NEVER BE FORGOTTEN

CH. PR. MCMILLANS TREE ROCKIN BRANDY
CH. PR. MCMILLANS MIDNITES STINGIN SADIE

Posted by thendo on 01-19-2010 04:29 PM:

hamberger

put hamberger with fly bait to

Posted by Kyle W. Graf on 01-19-2010 04:30 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by todd kellam

Todd
You can tell your co-worker that WI. had its first incident of the new year. When a dog or dogs get injured that ussually means that humans intervened.

Posted by Brian Chorney on 01-19-2010 05:04 PM:

Man Jay that's a tough deal. Its not very pretty when wolves hit ya. I've had it happen too. We had them come in on us again this weekend, but we got to the hounds first.
Sorry for your loss.
Brian

Posted by Buckskin Plott on 01-19-2010 09:34 PM:

Man I feel for you guys.. I guess in a way Im lucky to only have to deal with the yotes after my beagles.

Posted by 3-dogpackleader on 01-20-2010 01:52 AM:

So sorry to hear about your dogs. My thoughts might be worse then yours. The only way I can relate is:

I got a non-resident hound hunter permit for Idaho and just returned. Upon doing research, the 1st thing that was told to me was, BEWARE OF THE WOLVES! In my mind and going over to ID, you think this won't happen or what is the chance? When we got set up and headed up the mt. the next morning, the 1st track we cut was a fresh wolf track. I was really excited about my first time after a mt. lion and trying not to let what I had just seen snuff the experience. I was very skeptical although the wolf season was still going on in that area. People in the area where we were staying were telling stories about how the wolves really weren't even concerned when they x-country skied by them. Not sure if it was a fluke or what? One night, I just about didn't get them all in and I could feel the urgency whether it was justified or not. I feel until the wolves are shot at or put hounds in association with humans we are going to have these happenings and that might not even help.

Again, sorry for your loss.
DJK

Posted by Iceman197 on 02-05-2010 04:27 AM:

northern wisconsin wolf attack

We hunt bear in northern Wisconsin and my family has hunted the area since the early 70's. Never had a problem with wolves through all those years until this summer... It was the second weekend of training season, just getting started, my father and I had a good bear run going, the dogs had crossed the road by me and continued south to the other side of the "block" where my dad was waiting. They came close to him and treed. Pretty good feeling at this point. Dad radio'ed to me that the dogs were close and treed, about 40 yards into a thick tag. swamp and he was headed into them. He radio'ed to me about a minute later and said he didn't know if the bear had backed out and started fighting again or what cause he heard one of the dogs squall. So he started running into the tree. I started driving toward him. He then called out with a real frantic voice, "GET IN HERE, THE DOGS ARE GETTING ATTACKED BY THE WOLVES!!!" The wolves had our three females surrounded and our big male was out of my dad's sight just squallin like death. Of course we never had to carry a gun during training season for bear, so my dad didn't have anything to scare the wolves off but a stick he grabbed and his voice. He saw three wolves for sure by our females but like I said, our 78+lbs male was out of his sight and bellering bad. Dad eventually got all the dogs rounded up and got the wolves to back off and got over by our big male. I was just arriving to where his truck was parked. Our three females were chewed up but not nearly as bad as our big male. We actually had to bring him into the vet and they put him in an induced coma for two days while they pumped him full of fluids and meds with I.V.'s. He was laid up for over a month. Tried to count all the holes in him and he had over 63 holes and tears. Needed to staple him back up in a couple places. Over $2,500 in vet bills just on him. Sad story, really really sucks to have to move away from the area that we have hunted for so long. It was only luck that there was a stub road that went in close to where they were treed... If I was able to post pictures of him on here I would. Hopefully no one else has to experience this!

Posted by Kyle W. Graf on 02-05-2010 06:32 AM:

1st kill of the new year.

Posted by josh tetting on 02-05-2010 03:34 PM:

this is what a wolf does to a dog

This was dave Samuels dog you guys may know him may have seen these pics already.

its a **** shame that these animals our running around eating our deer killing our friends they should be eraticated or in a zoo
whare they belong...

CH, FCH,GRNTCH Ice Ages' Front Seat Fanny 2011 world finalist at 2 years old
Temp home of Grch, Fch, GrNtch Wades Red Busko

Posted by 3-dogpackleader on 02-05-2010 04:46 PM:

Man, that would make you sick, walkin into that. Hunting Partner, Investment, down the drain. Josh, what state was that from?

Posted by josh tetting on 02-05-2010 04:48 PM:

north western

wisconsin the wolves are as thick as misquitos up there

CH, FCH,GRNTCH Ice Ages' Front Seat Fanny 2011 world finalist at 2 years old
Temp home of Grch, Fch, GrNtch Wades Red Busko

Posted by topdog on 02-06-2010 12:01 AM:

More

I saw pictures of what happened to Rage and that's about as close to being a dead dog as you want to get. Folks have to take notice of what's going on because as bad as it is now, it will only get worse without strict controls on the population. It's a good idea on paper but the reality is much different once Wolves become accustomed to living close to people, their stock and their dogs...not a pretty picture.

The DNR has to wise up and start taking action or folks have to take matters into their own hands and that's ultimately what will happen...right or wrong.

Unrealistic expectations are a roadblock to success, judge your dogs by what they are ready to give not by what you wish they'd do.