UKC Forums
Show all 6 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- New into sport/ looking for a beginner dog in S.C. (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928526157)

Posted by cjenn222 on 01-11-2020 05:44 PM:

New into sport/ looking for a beginner dog in S.C.

Just getting into the sport. Looking for a dog to help get me started. I tried years ago to get into the sport but life happen, married, kids, buying a house so a bit late to the game but better late than never. I’m not looking to spend a lot on a dog just to get something to help me get started so I’d say 100-200.

And I know Grand American was last weekend but I was sick and couldn’t make it

Posted by Nick B on 01-12-2020 12:16 AM:

I’m new too

But I’m guessing if a dog is being sold for $200, it’s either a puppy or not worth hunting. You may want to consider saving for a few months and buying a good one. Then again, I got lucky and got a decent one from a shelter, maybe you can too.

Posted by groworg1 on 01-12-2020 12:32 AM:

go to some hunts

Posted by Dave Richards on 01-12-2020 01:02 AM:

Dogs

Not to be a balloon popper, but a 100 to 200 dog is not going to be anything worth having, it's money wasted period. You may find an older dog that someone is not hunting at a fair price, but not for that kind of money. I would hate to see you waste your money on something that SOURS you from enjoying this Sport. Go to some hunts as suggested, meet some hunters and go hunting with them, they can point you in the right direction. Please DO NOT let some dog trader scam you on some 100 to 200 dog that ABSOLUTELY won't be worth feeding. The best way to get disgusted with coon hunting is to hunt a sorry dog, and a good dog is expensive and EASY to sell. Dave

Posted by Preacher Tom on 01-12-2020 01:05 AM:

What Dave said!!!!!!

Posted by cjenn222 on 01-12-2020 01:19 AM:

Re: Dogs

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
Not to be a balloon popper, but a 100 to 200 dog is not going to be anything worth having, it's money wasted period. You may find an older dog that someone is not hunting at a fair price, but not for that kind of money. I would hate to see you waste your money on something that SOURS you from enjoying this Sport. Go to some hunts as suggested, meet some hunters and go hunting with them, they can point you in the right direction. Please DO NOT let some dog trader scam you on some 100 to 200 dog that ABSOLUTELY won't be worth feeding. The best way to get disgusted with coon hunting is to hunt a sorry dog, and a good dog is expensive and EASY to sell. Dave

Thanks for the advice and well said