UKC Forums
Show all 2 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=)
-- Bench Showing Coon Hounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=408774)

Posted by ADillard81 on 02-20-2011 05:40 AM:

Bench Showing Coon Hounds

I want to know what You as a judge look for in a coon hound and what are the Qualifications for each Breed of coon hounds. As far as what a dog needs to do and look like. What is the perfect conformation and how it is judged. As to say this lets say Blk&Tan should have a body like this . I just want to know what it is all about.

Posted by Penny Jessup on 02-20-2011 07:32 AM:

Each individual coonhound breed....and there are 7 now since the addition of the American Leopard hound within the last couple of years....have their own written breed standards as do all of UKC breeds. To know for say...what the B&T body is supposed to be like, well...just read and refer to the standard.

Coonhounds can compete in two different show venues.

First, there are the UKC coonhound bench shows where the dogs are taken off leash and are asked to stand on an individual show bench after being gaited on the ground for judges to evaluate movement. This type of show was conceived in the 1940's I believe. Judges are still looking for the same things as in a conformation show although they evaluate the dogs differently. Feet and legs on coonhounds are very important....a well-rounded padded foot, cat-like according to some of the standards, a smooth strong topline, deep chest, and nice head as specified in the individual breed standards. There are lots more details and each breed has its own characteristics that make them unique as you might expect. Dogs in coonhound bench shows can earn "CH" and "GRCH" degrees for Champion and Grand Champion.

Then, there are the UKC conformation shows which is where the coonhounds are evaluated on the ground with correct movement being evaluated more than the "stacked" pose a bench show provides. Coonhounds can earn "CCH" and "GRCCH" degrees for Conformation Champion and Grand Conformation Champion.

As far as what a coonhound is asked to do.....well, I hope I've answered you. For the coonhound bench shows, they are asked to gait briefly, then pose on a bench while a judge evaluates them. Leashes are removed while dogs are on the bench and they are expected to stay still while holding their pose while the judge is evaluating them. In the conformation shows, they are never off leash and must gait around the ring on the left lead, do a "down and back" usually, and finally are posed on the ground with the handler standing over or kneeling beside them.

I've been involved with coonhounds for 20 years or so and I love them. I enjoy the bench shows and in the last 8-10 years have dabbled in the conformation shows.

I hope I have been helpful

Penny and Jody Jessup
Lydia and Christopher
Cell PH #859-339-7992

www.kentuckymtnenglish.com

Home of.....
WSHOWCH NITECH CCH GRCH 'PR' Kentucky Mtn Diamond Cutter
*2014 Overall UKC World Show Champion
*2014 Overall Purina Show Dog of the Year leader
*2014 AKC Westminster Invitee
*2014 AKC Best In Show Owner/Handled
*2013 UKC Best In Show