UKC Forums
Show all 9 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- Off Topic (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=53)
-- Best Vehicle to Buy Used ?? (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928525046)

Posted by Littletown on 12-11-2019 01:58 AM:

Best Vehicle to Buy Used ??

My 21 year old GM Van is near death. I need to buy a used van or SUV, and the MOST important need is for it to be VERY DEPENDABLE. Price is a factor; it needs to be under $ 14,000.

1. What are your suggestions as to make, model, year, etc. ?

2. What is the best way to go about finding what I need ?

3. Any other helpful suggestions or warnings ?

Thank you !!

Posted by Driftwoodblue on 12-11-2019 01:32 PM:

Question

what are your plans for use??
you state van or SUV..
if it is for the family then haul hounds to hunt it will make a serious difference than if it is for just family.

we have had Chevy Equinoxes since 2012 and they have been real dependably and the current one we took on a trip to the PBR World Finals.. gas mileage on that trip AVERAGED 33.4... that was actual mileage from the gas tickets.. the first one was getting near the 28 MPG range--
but the size is not for a large family-- good for 5 people.
Do not know about Vans but it would appear you had good luck with the GM brands

Posted by Littletown on 12-12-2019 02:13 AM:

OK, to answer your questions, I would be the only person in the vehicle, but I raise and show dogs, so I need either the van or SUV to be able to haul crates & dogs.

I am planning on getting a couple of Feists in the future, and would like to get involved with that part of the sport, also.

In the past, my vehicles (all cars) were an assortment of older brands & models that happened to be available from family members. All of these were purchased prior to my having access to the internet, so I was hoping for information to help with the search, because I have no idea where to start, and I have already spent too many hours trying to wade through online information.

ANY information would be much appreciated !!

Posted by Driftwoodblue on 12-12-2019 01:34 PM:

Equinox

you might check them out.. the back seats fold down and I have hauled some rather large dogs in a crate to Wisconsin from Kansas and it worked out but you might be limited to the number you could get in one

Posted by Todd K / UKC on 12-12-2019 01:58 PM:

Nobody can tell you what to buy. That is very personal and we don't know your situation. But you do seem sincere in needing direction so maybe this will help.

Go to cargurus.com

In the search function select Used.

Search by body style and it sounds to me like you will not be off road and best served by another mini van. Dependable. Good gas mileage. Etc. Select mini van.

Select your radius you want to search. Try 100 miles.

Select year of vehicle to search. For your budget I would search between years 2012 and 2016. Should give you many options near your max budget.

Look through the list and see what YOU like best. If you want an opinion on the make / model you choose, there are probably some on here that can offer insight.

That's what I would do.

Posted by 4play on 12-12-2019 03:30 PM:

JMO

Ford Edge AWD w/3.5 V6 23-26 mpg average

Eco boost is kinda over rated and its smaller motor than what Ford puts in their trucks.

Nitech Stylish Clover Shark Jill - RIP 'Ole Girl
{Great White Shark x Brush Creek Patch}

Posted by Littletown on 12-14-2019 05:19 AM:

Thank you all for your suggestions & comments. Yes, I am sincere about getting something, and soon.

The suggestion to go to cargurus.com is great, as I had not heard of that one before.

I will definitely check out the Edge and Equinox - thanks !

Posted by JAH on 12-14-2019 07:32 PM:

Re: JMO

quote:
Originally posted by 4play
Ford Edge AWD w/3.5 V6 23-26 mpg average

Eco boost is kinda over rated and its smaller motor than what Ford puts in their trucks.

I don't know about any Eco boost in anything you have drove.But I have one in my 2018 F150. That thing has way more power then I thought it would have. I get a little over 23 mpg which isn't bad for how I drive.I never really cared for it when I was looking at the truck. But liked everything else about it so just went with the baby motor.But I prefer horse power over gas mileage always have always will.The bigger the motor the more I like it.

But with all that said.She (I think she is a she) Isn't going to find a used Ford SUV or van for $14,000 or less.Unless its older then dirt.Fords are not cheap compared to those other brands.

Posted by 4play on 12-16-2019 02:43 PM:

Re: Re: JMO

quote:
Originally posted by JAH
I don't know about any Eco boost in anything you have drove.But I have one in my 2018 F150. That thing has way more power then I thought it would have. I get a little over 23 mpg which isn't bad for how I drive.I never really cared for it when I was looking at the truck. But liked everything else about it so just went with the baby motor.But I prefer horse power over gas mileage always have always will.The bigger the motor the more I like it.

But with all that said.She (I think she is a she) Isn't going to find a used Ford SUV or van for $14,000 or less.Unless its older then dirt.Fords are not cheap compared to those other brands.

Never said anything bad about eco boost other than Ford put the smaller version in SUV's.Not the same power.The trucks have the bigger motor which run,perform well.

Nitech Stylish Clover Shark Jill - RIP 'Ole Girl
{Great White Shark x Brush Creek Patch}