UKC Forums
Show all 20 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- pine needles as bedding (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=457455)

Posted by buckmaster27012 on 10-22-2011 01:02 PM:

pine needles as bedding

anybody ever use them? had a guy at work tell me that he always uses it. i used hay but looks like its holds a lot of moisture in it needles might not be as bad as they are not too thick thanks

Posted by old ben on 10-22-2011 02:22 PM:

ya right on the hay,,i like straw and cedar chips ,,never used pine needles imo wouldnt see a problem

Anderson County Coon Club
Lance White
865-919-7234

Posted by Jon Millwood on 10-22-2011 03:07 PM:

Straw packs the best and holds heat. Needles are thin and dont hold much heat.. Ive never had this happen to me but my wife is a vet and she said she sees several dogs a year who eat pine needles and they puncture the intestines and stomach and get bad infected.

Posted by old ben on 10-22-2011 03:19 PM:

learn something new everyday,,,thanks for the advice

Anderson County Coon Club
Lance White
865-919-7234

Posted by patches9452 on 10-22-2011 04:40 PM:

my vet said pine needels were as good as it got.... around here when it gets cold everything beds in a pine thicket.... nature usually knows best

Posted by Jon Millwood on 10-22-2011 04:48 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by patches9452
my vet said pine needels were as good as it got.... around here when it gets cold everything beds in a pine thicket.... nature usually knows best
the reason most animals bed in a pine thicket is because the briars and thick brush help knock the wind off.. We are talking about domestic animals the difference being us the owners can provide better for them..everybody has there own opinion..

Posted by patches9452 on 10-22-2011 06:14 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Jon Millwood
the reason most animals bed in a pine thicket is because the briars and thick brush help knock the wind off.. We are talking about domestic animals the difference being us the owners can provide better for them..everybody has there own opinion..
so get an electric pad you want the best i was just stateing what ii have seen and what my vet said.... sometimes what we may think is best isnt always the case.... bed em in what makes you happy

Posted by greg stull on 10-22-2011 06:30 PM:

IT SURE IS FUNNY HOW SOME PEOPLE THINK THERE WAY IS THE ONLY WAY.

Posted by on 10-23-2011 01:37 AM:

I have used them before, and they did fine the only problem is that they tend to break up finely after a while and are a little harder to clean out of the box. As far as them being cold, well I have laid my sorry hindend down on them several times out hunting and they seemed pretty warm to me? I guess a dog could eating them and having problems....some dogs will eat about anything, expecially pups.

Another thing I know is true, like most people I do not use any bedding in the summer to keep fleas at bay, but as it gets colder I put bedding in the box. It has been around 34 here in the holler I live in and my one of my dogs is tied under a big white pine with fresh wood shavings from Tractor Supply in the box. Here is the kicker the dog has pulled the pine needles up close to her box and sleeps outside on them as opposed to the fresh chips in her box that she slept in all summer without bedding.

I am guessing that dog knows a little more about bedding than I do. I am considering using them in all my boxs now after seeing what she has chossen and what I know is true about wild game as well. I only quit using pine needles a few yr back when I thought I knew which was the best? Another dog perfers leaves over the shavings, she is sleeping out as well.....maybe these blue dogs have went bonkers?

Posted by on 10-23-2011 03:27 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by captaincody
The reason she is sleeping outside on the pine needles is for the heat out of the ground. Later on after the ground gets colder or freezes i bet she will be in her box. Just a thought

maybe so, I don't know. I have two dogs doing it one on leaves one on needles. The other 8 dogs sleep in there boxes since they aren't near the 2 types of trees.

It hasn't been over 50 here in a week during the day, and much colder durning the nights, there is a creek close so its always damp and wet. Plus they all of the dogs are down in the holler as low as it goes, pretty dang nippy to say the least, maybe the devil ins't far off and hell is getting closer.

Posted by A-DAWG1189 on 10-23-2011 03:40 AM:

so get an electric pad you want the best i was just stateing what ii have seen and wh

so what happens when they chew the cord?.........lol i use straw and my hounds like it....

Posted by amazingcursouth on 10-23-2011 03:53 AM:

use oak leaves. they have acid that is good for healing wounds and im sure they will keep them warm. don't think it will kill'em. when you rack your yard, throw a pile in there and see what happens. i never tried it, but sounds good to me.

Mossy Pond Modacious (MO)
Mossy Pond Amazing Gracie

Posted by on 10-23-2011 04:11 AM:

straw is a very good choice and is widely used, how ever I do not use it, and here is one reason why.

If you have your dog chained to a peg or such so the dog can run in a circle, think twice about the straw, the dog can pull the straw out of the box, it will wrap up around the peg not allowing the chain to spin around it, the dog will continue to run around that peg untill he is completely wrapped up. If it is cold enough the dog will lie there and could die from the elements.

I know not all people chain there dogs, they need a kennel most perfering "above ground" these days. I like to think my dogs stay in better shape on the chain, I got several kennels 10x12 and a huge fence in area for the dogs, but for the most part there hindend is on a chain.

The second reason I don't use straw is mites, use to have a problem with ear mites, took the straw away, and haven't had much of a problem with it since.

I do have a hound heaters as well I use on some dogs, but when every nickel counts, I personally think you will be fine with the needles, or as amazingcursouth said leaves.....but they will hold water.

I am not trying to sell anyone on the pine needles, chips or heaters, only what I have done. I plan on building a box soon and wrap an electric water piper heater in the bottom and see how that works??? Those hound heaters are pretty spendy and well my boxes are big. I even put carpet on the inside walls of the dog box and flaps over there openings in the later months. As I see the temps here staying where they are and knowing they are going to continue to drop, I will probably start looking for some used carpet from a friend that lays it.

Posted by A-DAWG1189 on 10-23-2011 04:51 AM:

lightly spray crude oil on the floor of your dog box b-4 placing straw as bedding to stop mites flees ticks and other little critters that aint so good for your hound

Posted by on 10-23-2011 04:48 PM:

crude oil? just reg old burnt motor oil out of the truck or car?

Posted by patches9452 on 10-23-2011 06:42 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by KardinalKennels
crude oil? just reg old burnt motor oil out of the truck or car?
thats what i use

Posted by B&LKennels on 10-23-2011 10:31 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by patches9452
I HAVE BEEN USING PINE NEEDLES FOR ABOUT 15 YEAR'S NOW .DOG'S REALLY LIKE THEM, USE TO USE STRAW BUT MY VET SAID NOTHING WORK'S AS GOOD AS PINE NEEDLES.THE VET HAD A GOOD POINT STRAW IS HOLLOW AND THAT'S A GOOD PLACE FOR FLEE'S TO LIVE IN. AND THE DUST MAY DUST MAY CAUSE RESPATORY PROBLEMS.CEDAR CHIP'S ARE OK FOR SUMMER TO CONTROL FLEAS ,BUT AS FAR AS KEEPING YOUR DOG WARM IN THE WINTER.I CANT SEE THAT WORKING TO WELL .WOULD BE THE SAME THING AS PUTTING SAW DUST IN THE BOX. JMO

Posted by Dan Reuter on 10-24-2011 12:19 AM:

I like to use straw. If you are worried about mites, I always throw some SEVEN DUST in with the bedding. This will take care of the mites and works great for flea and tick control.

Posted by rmcmillan on 10-25-2011 06:57 PM:

STRAW AND SOME CEDAR OR PINE SHAVINGS THROWN IN. HELPS THEM SMELL SOME BETTER. LOL.

Nt.Ch. Gr.Ch. Gr.WCh. Pr. McMillans Blue Crystal
Ntch. GrCh. Pr. McMillans Blue Magic
Gr.Nt.Ch. Pr. McMillans Blue Hawk
Nt. Ch. Pr. McMillans Blue Rage
all are gone now but will NEVER BE FORGOTTEN

CH. PR. MCMILLANS TREE ROCKIN BRANDY
CH. PR. MCMILLANS MIDNITES STINGIN SADIE

Posted by robgregory on 10-25-2011 08:44 PM:

Straw

Here the past couple of weeks I been thinkin bout what to use this winter for my dogs' bedding.I was gonna try pine straw this year cuz ever time I put put wheat straw in their houses,seems like within a day or 2 later they have kicked it all out.Don't know exactly why.That's why I'm gonna try pine straw.I was just scopin out a place today to rake some up.
Rob Gregory

home#- 540-925-4437
cell#-757-339-3454
Home of:
"PR"High Lonesome Hannah. Nt.Ch. Hardtime Miss Kitty's Cat