UKC Forums
Show all 9 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- Tree jacking ? (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928531817)

Posted by Jmiller85 on 08-09-2020 05:14 AM:

Tree jacking ?

Got a young hound starting to tree on his own. He is jacking the tree pretty bad and when I get on to him he seen to lose interest in treeing. Thanks for any advice

Posted by Jmiller85 on 08-10-2020 03:59 AM:

Btt

Posted by Preacher Tom on 08-10-2020 05:24 PM:

Wild Willy has a way. I tried it and it certainly helped. You might contact him. Didn't absolutely stop my dog but we're gonna get there with some reinforcement in the timber.

Posted by shadinc on 08-10-2020 05:57 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Preacher Tom
Wild Willy has a way. I tried it and it certainly helped. You might contact him. Didn't absolutely stop my dog but we're gonna get there with some reinforcement in the timber.
Same here. Not totally broke yet but a lot better.

Posted by DOUG CHEEK on 08-11-2020 01:51 AM:

A lot of tree jacking was man made --when the dog was just starting to tree on a hang up ---the coon was too low --the pup was trying to get a hold of the cage

ALWAYS GO BY THE RULES AND NEVER A PROBLEM

Posted by Preacher Tom on 08-11-2020 02:25 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by DOUG CHEEK
A lot of tree jacking was man made --when the dog was just starting to tree on a hang up ---the coon was too low --the pup was trying to get a hold of the cage

That is true and the way to fix it is to go back to that and make sure he doesn't enjoy jacking the tree. It's more complex than that but that's the basis. If he's uncomfortable every time he jumps up on the tree he will think twice .

Posted by ov_blues on 08-12-2020 04:55 PM:

I bought a 5 year old dog a few years back that was an intense tree dog that would bounce up and down in a continual circle around the tree. After falling over a steep creek bank into the water one night and down a steep bank another night he broke himself from bouncing around trees. Lol. Ended up being more of a stand in one spot on all fours tree dog but still treed with intensity. I have just always used something to block a young dog from jumping, like a small stick or a ball cap, while I was standing at the tree with them and said no when they tried to jump. That worked on most of them.

Posted by gcblues on 08-13-2020 03:27 AM:

Tree jacking

A coon hunter once told me when young dog jumps put a lead on him and stand close. At the highest point of his jump use the lead and pick him straight up off the ground and let his feet dangle in the air for a few seconds. Let him go back to treeing .repeat as needed .

Posted by Preacher Tom on 08-13-2020 08:28 PM:

Re: Tree jacking

quote:
Originally posted by gcblues
A coon hunter once told me when young dog jumps put a lead on him and stand close. At the highest point of his jump use the lead and pick him straight up off the ground and let his feet dangle in the air for a few seconds. Let him go back to treeing .repeat as needed .

That's the same principal Wild Willy uses/