UKC Forums Pages (2): [1] 2 »
Show all 31 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- Diatomaceous Earth (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=493127)

Posted by Allen / UKC on 03-27-2012 07:16 PM:

Diatomaceous Earth

Anyone use this stuff on your hounds? And if so, what's you're opinion of it? Thanks.

http://www.richsoil.com/diatomaceous-earth.jsp

Posted by Hey Preacher!!! on 03-27-2012 07:19 PM:

I TRIED IT YEARS AGO, SEEMED TO WORK GOOD, BUT IT WAS NOT READILY AVILABLE IN MY AREA AT THE TIME!!!

Posted by Okie Dawg on 03-27-2012 07:26 PM:

I would like to know the differance between the food grade and the one the use in swimming pool filters. Looks the same and a lot cheaper.

Tonkawa Okla. 74653
580-628-0507
CH 'PR' Grady's Dark Woods Waylon -Bluetic

NITECH 'PR' Grady's Insane Tinker Bell (Tink) - Treeing walker --Okla. State Hunt open redg. winner

'PR' Grady's Barley - Treeing Walker

Posted by Cynthia on 03-27-2012 07:33 PM:

this is where I ordered it from:
http://www.earthworkshealth.com/

tried it as a flea product. not sure if I applied correctly or not. tried taking it myself, couldnt get past the chalky taste. know others that take it daily and swear they have have more energy, etc. if you do take it, start off at a lower dose than is recommended and work your way up to it (trust me on this one!).

oh, it will dry your hands out as well, so be prepared to wear gloves or wash and use lotion.

this site sells all food grade with multiple uses.

2.5 gallon $11.50
4 - 2.5 gallon $23

2015 AO Overall Dual Champion NTCH GRCH 'PR' Sexy and I know It (breeder/owner/handler)
2016 Grand American Overall Dual Ch, Overall Show CHampion NTCH GRCH 'PR' Sexy and I know It

AKC CSG, UKC CCH GRCH 'PR' Southern Flame Bad News Bandit (Bandit)
2010 National Grand Champion Bluetick
2013 AO Bluetick Stud Dog winner

CCH GCH 'PR' Southern Flame Elvira - the one that started it all

southernflamekennel@earthlink.net

RIP Southern Flame Elvira (the cornerstone of the kennel) 5/16/02-1/17/14

RIP Southern Flame Scarlet (the lone Redbone) 5/11/01-7/19/13

RIP Southern Flame Wild Irish Rose (Rosie) 6/15/09 - 3/12/15

RIP Southern Flame Too Hot to Trot (Bonnie) 3/27/07 - 4/20/15

RIP Southern Flame Bad News Bandit (Bandit)

RIP Southern Flame Triple Trouble (TT) 12/17/04 - 11/19/16

RIP Southern Flame Blame it on the Rain (Rain)

RIP AdeleMay's a Smokey Bandit (Adele)

RIP Southern Flame I Like Ike (Ike)

RIP Bella the Beagle

Bear, Jerry Lee, Camo, Maybellene, Lacy, Thor, Sissy, Merle, Tina, Bridgette - the Blueticks, Hollie - the Aussie

Posted by oklared on 03-27-2012 07:41 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Okie Dawg
I would like to know the differance between the food grade and the one the use in swimming pool filters. Looks the same and a lot cheaper.

How safe is diatomaceous earth?
The only known problem for people, mammals and birds that I have ever been able to find any reference to is breathing it in. For food grade diatomaceous earth, there is only the bother of breathing in any dust. There exists another variety of diatomaceous earth that has been fiddled with so it can be used for pool filters. The pool grade stuff would be bad for you because it contains up to 70% "crystalline silica". My understanding is that if you work with the pool grade stuff all day, every day, for years, you could get cancer. Don't mess with the pool grade stuff. Food grade diatomaceous earth will contain less than 1% crystalline silica.

This article is really about the pure, food grade diatomaceous earth. I have to say "food grade" over and over or some nitwit will quote a small slice and then bring up the pool grade issues.

I have

HOME OF 2010 HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE, DUAL CH Y2KD, #7 REPRODUCING RED FEMALE
NT.Ch. WINNER AT REDBONE SEC. 2008
3RD PL. NT.CH. 2009 BATTLE OF BREEDS AT ADA OKLA.
4TH PLACE R.Q.E 2010
2ND PLACE OVERALL AT ZONE 4 AND DOUBLE CAST WINNER 2010
WENT TO 2010 WORLD HUNT
AMERICAN REDBONE ASSOCIATION HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE OF THE 2010 WORLD HUNT
OVERALL HI SCOREING DOG AT 2010 BBCHA BLUE TIC SECTIONAL
GR.NT.CH. AT 12 and A HALF
MADE-EM SEE RED

Posted by Okie Dawg on 03-27-2012 07:55 PM:

Thanks Don and Cynthia. First time I have found it that cheap and found out the differance between the grades.

Tonkawa Okla. 74653
580-628-0507

NITECH 'PR' Grady's Insane Tinker Bell (Tink) - Treeing walker --Okla. State Hunt open redg. winner

Posted by BWSupplies on 03-27-2012 08:28 PM:

I use it and swear by it, I'll not use anything but that to treat my dogs for worms and parasites.

http://www.mearicle.com/catalog/index.php
You can get it straight from Heather or myself. I liked it so good I became a dealer.

bwsupplies@aol.com
704-791-7751
36479 NC HWY 49
New London, NC, 28127
President of the SBA
Member of the BBOA & BBCHA
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Backwoods-Supplies/167389623298613

Posted by Cynthia on 03-27-2012 08:39 PM:

Bill, that other site has you beat on prices!!!

2015 AO Overall Dual Champion NTCH GRCH 'PR' Sexy and I know It (breeder/owner/handler)
2016 Grand American Overall Dual Ch, Overall Show CHampion NTCH GRCH 'PR' Sexy and I know It

RIP Bella the Beagle

Bear, Jerry Lee, Camo, Maybellene, Lacy, Thor, Sissy, Merle, Tina, Bridgette - the Blueticks, Hollie - the Aussie

Posted by smokin-1-mo on 03-27-2012 08:53 PM:

ALLEN

NEVER HEARD OF IT BEFORE,INTERESTING.....THIS A GOOD STICKY ...PRODUCT REVIEW....

Posted by micooner on 03-27-2012 08:55 PM:

good stuff and have used it going on ten years

Posted by prostockpat on 03-27-2012 09:00 PM:

tsc

carries it.dirt cheap{no pun intended}lol

Posted by Smoke on 03-27-2012 10:07 PM:

Works good for fleas

Posted by Majestic Tree H on 03-27-2012 10:59 PM:

Gezz I sure Wish "Someone" would Just use the Search Tab instead of Starting Another Goofy Post !!!!!

http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthrea...ht=diatomaceous earth&pagenumber=2

JK

540-421-2875

PR, Saltlick's Blue Misty Linga "Bluetick Coonhound"

French X American Hounds

Posted by BWSupplies on 03-27-2012 11:08 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Cynthia
Bill, that other site has you beat on prices!!!

Maybe so but I'll support Heather, she's a fellow hunter and a small business.

bwsupplies@aol.com
704-791-7751
36479 NC HWY 49
New London, NC, 28127
President of the SBA
Member of the BBOA & BBCHA
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Backwoods-Supplies/167389623298613

Posted by Okie Dawg on 03-28-2012 03:46 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by Majestic Tree H
Gezz I sure Wish "Someone" would Just use the Search Tab instead of Starting Another Goofy Post !!!!!

http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthrea...ht=diatomaceous earth&pagenumber=2

JK

Gezz I would think the only one that would have the right to gripe about how many threads is started on here would be the moderators of the board. If you look at who started this one it was a moderator. I figure he has the right.

Tonkawa Okla. 74653
580-628-0507

Posted by l.lyle on 03-28-2012 04:36 AM:

To quote wiki.

"Marker in livestock nutrition experiments ;Natural diatomaceous earth (dried, not calcined) is regularly used in livestock nutrition research as a source of acid insoluble ash (AIA), which is used as an indigestible marker. By measuring the content of AIA relative to nutrients in test diets and feces or digesta sampled from the terminal ileum (last third of the small intestine) the percentage of that nutrient digested can be calculated using the following equation:

Where:
is percent Nutrient Digestibility
is the percent of nutrients in the feces
is the percent of nutrients in the feed
is the percent of AIA in the feces
is the percent of AIA in the feed""
And:

I don't see that much to get excited about. Food Grade . It's used because it is not digestible. It's a single or double cell algae. There is silica clays and some diatoms minerology. Heck even Kaopectates is Kaolin Clay designed to Plug Up Diarheea. LOL

I do wish dogfeed manufacturers were using it to see what kind of Total Digestible Nutriesnt and Digestistble Protein they were selling us and put that on the Bag instead of Crude protiein and fat which tells us basicly nothing.l

I suspect its good enough for a mechancal insecticide , such as squishing a bollworm between two rocks. But it probably has more to do with Holistics and Organics bandwagon than efficacy.

Posted by Doug Robinson on 03-28-2012 04:48 AM:

DA

Diatomaceous Earth looks like a cylinder full of holes - kind of like Rice Chex Cereal. This cylinder has a very strong negative charge. As these millions of cylinders move through the stomach and digestive tract, they attract and absorb fungi, protozoa, viruses, endotoxins, pesticides and drug residues, E-Coli, and heavy metals. These are trapped inside the cylinder and passed out of the body. In addition, any larger parasites that happen to be in the stomach or digestive tract are "cut up" and killed by the sharp edges of the Diatomaceous Earth. All of these activities result in a much healthier body with less sickness.

Past Home of:
GRNITECH FCH GRCH ROBINSON'S SILVERTONE BLUSPECK HTX DNA-P
GRNITECH GRCH PKC CH ROBINSON'S RED LINDSAY
NITECH GRFCH GRWCH GRCH ROBINSON'S CROOKTAIL KATE
GRNITECH GRCH ROBINSON'S CIDERHOUSE LULU
NITECH GRCH GRFCH GRWCH RED RIDGE'S SUPER SHOCK Z HTX2
NITECH GRCH ROBINSON'S OATKA VALLEY ANNIE (BLUSPECK DAUGHTER)
NITECH GRCH ROBINSON'S JJ THUNDER SUE

Current
CH PR ROBINSON'S OATKA VALLEY JUNEBUG - (GRNITECH PKC CH RIVER BOTTOM'S CRACKER JACK X NITECH GRCH ROBINSON'S OATKA VALLEY ANNIE)

Posted by Randy Williams on 03-28-2012 05:02 AM:

I bought some mericle solution at the grand amer. & its working good. Better than ortho tree & shrub for ticks & fleas. I have ear problems & the ear remedy has fixed that. My ears, not the dogs.

Posted by l.lyle on 03-28-2012 05:15 AM:

I'll post this on the size of the cylinders in the chex cerials for diatoms. Excuse me for a minute while I go chech out the diameter of the fungii and and the Micotoxins as well as the charge of Zinc and other heavey metals. Be right back.
I'll just post the sizeze of diatoms now because i don't have a clue about the other things size and charge. I am trying not to lead a hypothesis in any direction.
Be right back.
Basic Theory. The diatom motor: Diatoms are single cells which reside
within an ornate, species-characteristic, long, rigid box made of silica.7 All
motile diatoms possess slits or "raphes" in the silica shells,7 which generally
occur in two pairs on opposite faces of the box. The raphes in a pair are end
to end along the long axis.
Contact between a raphe and a fixed substratum is required for locomotion.8'9
The dimensions of the raphes vary roughly with the size of the diatom. A
raphe is 10-100 Aem long, 200-2500 A wide in its narrowest region, and 1-10 ,m
deep, cutting all the way through the silica shell.8 Thus, the walls of the raphe
form a fine parallel-plate capillary.

Posted by l.lyle on 03-28-2012 05:26 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by Randy Williams
I bought some mericle solution at the grand amer. & its working good. Better than ortho tree & shrub for ticks & fleas. I have ear problems & the ear remedy has fixed that. My ears, not the dogs.

Do tell. I have ear problems too. I might try most anything. LOL Holistic Organic BS diatribes or not. LOL
My favorites right now are : CO2 (false science), POOF,as in UKC threads ( Magic), Abba agracadabra, ( tounges) etc. Deo tomatious might get added quick.

Posted by Robert Johnson on 03-28-2012 02:21 PM:

are you guys saying the miricle ear and earth stuff are the same thing? You actually eat the eat treatment stuff? I have some of the miricle ear stuff. I am still out the lunch on how well it works for worms etc. I do know if you just sprinkle it on the feed, my dogs just eat around it, and they get none. Mixing it in a syringe and getting the dose right is a major pain. I think the stuff might work, but is it worth the effort is yet to be told. If someone has some good ideas on hoe to use the stuff effectivlly, i'd like to hear them.

Thanks.

Johnson Creek Kennels
home of:
UKC Grand Nite Champion "PR" Yadkin River Addkis. Deceased 12/11/2016 RIP

2009/2010/2011/2012 AKC GA. State Leader and Supreme Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

2010 ACHA Georgia State Champion Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

PKC Champion Yadkin River Addkis

Bright Eye Lights

Treeing Walkers

912-663-5287 cell (perfered)

Posted by Cynthia on 03-28-2012 03:42 PM:

it is the same 'stuff' but I dont know if the mearicle product is food grade and I wouldnt eat it. I DO know the earthworks product is food grade and humans and/or animals can ingest it. it can also be used for the fleas and stuff as well.

RIP Bella the Beagle

Posted by doug michael on 03-28-2012 09:44 PM:

we sell it for $18.00 in a 50# bag but I will tell you it's nowhere near as effective as safeguard and ivomectrin

Posted by David Gardin on 03-28-2012 10:18 PM:

ALLEN

I DONT KNOW BUT THERE IS A GUY THAT HUNTED WITH ME THIS WINTER THAT USED IT ON HIS DOG AND IT WORKED I BOUGHT SOME OF THE MARACLE SOLUTION POWDER AND USED IT WITH REAL GOOG RESULTS WE FEED IT TO PUPPY ABOUT EVERY WEEK AND VERY LITTLE WORMER.

Posted by Randy Williams on 03-29-2012 02:50 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by l.lyle
Do tell. I have ear problems too. I might try most anything. LOL Holistic Organic BS diatribes or not. LOL
My favorites right now are : CO2 (false science), POOF,as in UKC threads ( Magic), Abba agracadabra, ( tounges) etc. Deo tomatious might get added quick.

I'v been to the doctor humpteen times and it was useless. used peroxide, apple cider vinegar, alcohol, etc. and mericle ear works better. sore ear tonight, few drops mericle ear, well in the morning. mine get infected every time they get water in them. maybe i should just quit taking a bath.