UKC Forums
Show all 25 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- 122# wolf killed in Ohio (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=342890)

Posted by Cheyenne on 03-20-2010 01:55 PM:

122# wolf killed in Ohio

With all the phone texting and strange stuff that is sent has anyone heard of it? I guess it was killed south of Bellevue "north central Ohio". I guess it was confirmed by the ODNR. Wondered if anyone else got the story and pictures of it as well. And if there is any truth to it?

Nt.Ch. 2010 World Hunt Finalist Tug River Stylish PJ, Pkc Ch. Nt.Ch. Stylish Polly, Pkc Ch. Nt.Ch. Stylish Cheyenne, Gr.Nt.Ch. Frieds Thunder Crank, Gr.Nt.Ch. Major Dan , Nt.Ch. Lil Red Rat, Stylish Tanks Style

Posted by on 03-20-2010 03:02 PM:

"I guess it was confirmed....."
Now that's purty funny stuff.

Posted by rmcmillan on 03-20-2010 03:23 PM:

WOLVES

Keep everyone posted, we sure do not need these darn things getting started everywhere!!!. Go to the big game forum and check out the thread for hounds killed by wolves. There is a photo on there of a hound the land sharks got, very sad. Everyone who owns small animals, dogs, cats, and livestock should see it.

Note; I would not show it to your kids.

If you find out for sure post it.

Nt.Ch. Gr.Ch. Gr.WCh. Pr. McMillans Blue Crystal
Ntch. GrCh. Pr. McMillans Blue Magic
Gr.Nt.Ch. Pr. McMillans Blue Hawk
Nt. Ch. Pr. McMillans Blue Rage
all are gone now but will NEVER BE FORGOTTEN

CH. PR. MCMILLANS TREE ROCKIN BRANDY
CH. PR. MCMILLANS MIDNITES STINGIN SADIE

Posted by Cheyenne on 03-20-2010 04:03 PM:

Jim you know things are with stories and how the division of wildlife works. They tend to hide what they can. Years ago we killed a coyote with a tracking collar on it with ONDR plate on it and they said the state did not turn it out and took the collar and left!

Nt.Ch. 2010 World Hunt Finalist Tug River Stylish PJ, Pkc Ch. Nt.Ch. Stylish Polly, Pkc Ch. Nt.Ch. Stylish Cheyenne, Gr.Nt.Ch. Frieds Thunder Crank, Gr.Nt.Ch. Major Dan , Nt.Ch. Lil Red Rat, Stylish Tanks Style

Posted by jackbob42 on 03-20-2010 05:40 PM:

Try this.....
http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbc...MNIST22/3190371

BackWoods River Walkers/Beagles
Just all 'round , meat gettin' hounds.

Posted by David Boggs on 03-20-2010 10:21 PM:

2 people killed

by wolfs one was in 2005 the other was just a month ago in alaska it made the news here.wolves has been turned loose in va and i know 4 a fact some of them made it to ky and 1 will not live no longer i hope all of the wolves gets killed.david

Posted by wayne f on 03-21-2010 02:20 AM:

big yote contest in ny run by state dnr was a 70 pounder

Posted by David Boggs on 03-21-2010 02:47 AM:

wayne

i have sean and cought plenty over 60 pounds here in ky

Posted by wildbill on 03-21-2010 06:00 PM:

Re: 122# wolf killed in Ohio

quote:
Originally posted by Cheyenne
With all the phone texting and strange stuff that is sent has anyone heard of it? I guess it was killed south of Bellevue "north central Ohio". I guess it was confirmed by the ODNR. Wondered if anyone else got the story and pictures of it as well. And if there is any truth to it?

Article published March 19, 2010
Wolf shooting piques curiosity
Photo
Dusty Gore holds the head of a wolf he shot recently in Sandusky County near York School.
( SPECIAL TO THE BLADE/BRIAN BURY )
Zoom | Photo Reprints

From the you-just-never-know department comes a tale about a large wolf - yes, a wolf - shot this week in Sandusky County:

Dusty Gore of Bellevue and his wife, Tracy, were headed toward Fremont Monday on County Road 205, just south of U.S. 20 between Bellevue and Clyde.

Just about the time they were behind York School, which fronts on U.S. 20, "I spotted what I thought was a coyote in a field about 200 yards from the school," said the 28-year-old Gore. He wheeled around and headed home where he grabbed his varmint rifle.

To shorten the story a mite, Gore shot the beast and went to retrieve it on a three-wheeler. "I didn't realize it was a wolf when I shot. I thought it was an exceptionally large coyote."

Gore took it to Bellevue taxidermist Brian Weider, who in turn notified Brian Bury, state game protector in Sandusky County.

Bury confirmed that the animal indeed was a wolf. He said he has received at least a dozen calls about "a pack of wolves" and added this: "Two more got away. This was a large male, at least 100 pounds. They [the pack] have been covering about a 10-mile area the last few days.

Gore weighed the wolf on a grain scale and it hung between 120 and 140 pounds.

Free-ranging wolves are not found in the wild in Ohio these days, the species' wild breeding populations long ago having been eradicated. But some people keep wolves, or at least wolf-dog crosses.

The nearest known wild populations of wolves are in Michigan's upper peninsula - pegged at 584 in last winter's count. That is at least 350 miles or more from northwest Ohio - quite a ways even though wolves have been known to travel 470 miles, according to Michigan tagging studies.

"We're still trying to get some information on this animal," said Scott Butterworth, wildlife management supervisor for Ohio Wildlife District 2 at Findlay. After a look at several photos, he said, "my guess is that it's not a pure wolf.

"We have no reports of any wolves coming down from Michigan. More than likely it's one of those hybrid animals you can buy as a pet, and someone released it intentionally or it got away."

Butterworth noted Ohio has no rule that protects wolves, and no prohibition against shooting them. Because there are no known wild breeding populations of wolves here, the species is not on the official state game or wildlife lists.

As such wolves would fall into a gray area of being nonentities, much like any stray captive cougars that have been reported and which likely escaped or were dumped. Face it, owners of such potentially dangerous creatures - there are captive bobcats among others - likely are not going to come forward to claim the escapees, lest they become liable for any deaths or damages.

Any wolf observations should be directed to Wildlife District 2, 419-424-5000.

In Michigan, the Department of Natural Resources and Environment is continuing through the month its annual winter wolf survey. The MDNRE is particularly interested in any sighting from the northern lower peninsula. So far most reports have turned out to be dog tracks, though one set of tracks in Cheboygan County in the northeast lower peninsula may have promise, according to reports.

Michigan wolf reports can be posted online at michigan.gov/wolves. Wolves currently are federally protected in Michigan.

now that thing is big and ugly mean looking

wildbills101@yahoo
http://wildbills101.homestead.com/wildbills101.html

Posted by Tarascon on 03-21-2010 06:08 PM:

There is no reason that this one could not be one from MI. There was one confirmed to be from MI that was killed in MO a few years ago.
http://www.michiganwaterfowl.com/fo...ead.php?p=72567

~Tarascon Working Terriers~

GREWCH CH Corn Row Busy AWTA Veteran Earthdog CG

CH Huntmoor Reiver AWTA WCs CG

CH Tarascon Walker

GREWCH Tarascon Bailey JRTCA Bronze, AWTA Veteran, RIP my special girl.
~Bailey is the only terrier in the country to have earned the highest hunting honors in three working terrier programs~

CH Tarascon Jessie JRTCA NHC, RIP

Smoky Mountain Hillbilly AWTA WC, RIP Billy, we miss you

~and Silken Windhounds!~
~CH 'PR' WindnSatin Smoke 'n Water (Arwen)~
and
~CH 'PR' Hunters Run Cuda (Holly)~

Posted by Ray Walburn on 03-22-2010 12:43 AM:

Man that is one ugly animal. I sure would hate to see it hungry! I would probably call it quits if we met @ night. lololol

I forgive people but that doesn't mean I accept their behavior or trust them I forgive them 4 me, so I can let go and move on with my life

"The best revenge is massive success." #FrankSinatra

People who are INTIMIDATED by you talk bad about you with hopes that others wont find you as appealing!

You have Enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. Winston Churchill

Posted by Cheyenne on 03-22-2010 03:56 AM:

talked to man that lives up where it was shot and said there is at least 2 more running in the area still! with possibly more according to sightings being reported!

Posted by Lowell Lynn on 03-22-2010 04:59 AM:

What I cant believe is someone would fire a Rifle 200 yards from a school yard. Even thinking it was a coyote. I would of had to let that one go on bye.

Posted by Lowell Lynn on 03-22-2010 05:00 AM:

Look what he did to that tire!!!! LOL

Posted by Dog Lover on 03-22-2010 05:39 AM:

Wolves with no tail?

I've don't know much about wolves, but I thought they all had tails?

Posted by PullensRRK on 03-22-2010 05:44 AM:

wolves

where at in va

Posted by Chet McCreary on 03-22-2010 10:15 AM:

A few years ago 10 or so.There was a wolf or wolf cross running wild around the Batesville In area..It was a pet that got loose.A area farmer killed it..You hear about people having them as pets.I even know of a guy that had a moutain lion that he let loose..It was a pet and was caught soon after.....He lost his job and didnt have the money to feed it.He feed it a 2 whole chickens a day....

Nite Ch Nite Time Cheat
Nite Ch Goose Creek Little Tina (1 w GN)
Ch Wild Rivers Indiana ShowQueen
Wild Rivers Machine Gun Kelly

(English) Nite Ch Hard Time Spike (Sire Max)
Gr Ch Nite Ch 'pr' Twin CK Lady(Sire Max)
Wild Rivers Main Street Hooker
(Black n Tan)
Nite Ch 'pr' Black River Boy (3 w to Grand)
Ch Wild Rivers Whole Lotta Rosie
Ch Wild Rivers Black Pearl Wild Rivers Black Thundar

Posted by Steffan Kichta on 03-22-2010 10:40 AM:

Someone texted a picture of it in the bed of a pickup saying it was a coydog.

Posted by Terry Adams on 03-22-2010 01:35 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Lowell Lynn
What I cant believe is someone would fire a Rifle 200 yards from a school yard. Even thinking it was a coyote. I would of had to let that one go on bye.

I'd rather hear about that, than to hear that thing went onto the school grounds looking something to eat.
I could just hear it now on the world news...."Today a child was attacked and dragged away by a WEREWOLF".

4 Generation All Grand
GRNITECH 'PR' ADAMS MIDNITE SWAMP RACKET ( R.I.P. 5-17-03 - 12-26-11)

GRCH. GRNITECH 'PR' ADAMS COON CRAZY CATIE (2007 UKC World Top 100 * 2007&2008 High Scoring Dog friday night S.E.Days)

CH. NITECH. 'PR' MIDNITE SWAMP RACKET'S LIL'MAN ( 4 win towards Grnitech.)

"And a whole bunch of young prospects"

Posted by wayne f on 03-22-2010 02:04 PM:

Steffan Kichta

no such thing as a coy dog the coyote can not produce young with anything other than the red wolf and dna testing has proven it the eastern wolf carries red wolf dna.
i have heard the term coydog for many years then dna has proven they cross with the redwolf only there is a gene missing from the coyote that will not allow it to produce young with the domestic dog.
i know there are people claiming to be breeding coy dog but sinse dna came along they have found out it's not a viable cross

Posted by wildbill on 03-22-2010 08:21 PM:

Re: Wolves with no tail?

quote:
Originally posted by Dog Lover
I've don't know much about wolves, but I thought they all had tails?

you better get you readers out and look closer,,that ugly thing has a big tail,,lol

as far as shooting near a school ,

i dont think this was the fellas first time shooting a gun ,,read the article

i'd rather him shoot all the yotes/wolfs than hear about a kid getting ate up and then calling someone to hunt the animal down,,

wildbills101@yahoo
http://wildbills101.homestead.com/wildbills101.html

Posted by Cleo on 03-22-2010 08:27 PM:

....."what big feet you have" said Little Red Riding Hood

Man. That is a big whateveritis.....keep those up north.

~A man is only as good as his word~

Proud home to;

'PR' Kentucky River Fly Again (Kentucky River Rowdy frozen semen)
ACHA CHT x3 Broken Roads Little Texas (Kentucky River Rowdy x Houses Lipper's Hope)
CH Broken Roads Southern Stylish Boom (Kentucky River Rowdy x Houses Lipper's Hope)
Broken Road's Rowdy Lil Miss (Kentucky River Rowdy x Houses Lipper's Hope)
Broken Road's Meabie I will (Lipper's Rooster x Missy)
Broken Roads IMA Boomer2 (UKC NATL GRCH GRNTCH Honest Abe x Broken Roads Southern Stylish Boom
~~~~~Watch out!~~~~~
They just might make an IMPACT!

and the girls...Punkin and Tater!

Gone by never forgotten ~ Fly high my beautiful angels
~ GRCH GNTCH PKC SC Toucan Sam
~CH Toucan's Ugly Betty
~ CCH CH Southforks September Rain
~ Martin's Daisy JJ (what a beautiful litter you left behind)
~ Luke, the lab who brought us so many doves and ducks over the years
~ UKC GRCH,ACHA CH 2014 LWCH 2014 2 x's ACHA YOUTH WCH AKC CH AKC CH 'PR' Kentucky River Mundar ~ (Kentucky River Rowdy frozen semen) DNA Profiled ~ Fly high, old friend.

"The WILL of God will never take you where the GRACE of God can not protect you!"

Posted by David Boggs on 03-23-2010 02:10 AM:

they

ARE COYDOGS IN KY and plenty of them and it is a PROVEN FACT i even have 1 mounted here in my home,va i cant rember wat part but they where wolves reliced there it was even on tv news in ky that is one way i found out and i even read it some where but cant rember but they are in va

Posted by wayne f on 03-24-2010 03:32 AM:

david

i tell you how sure i am that a domesticdog coyote cross is not possible you produce one with a dna report from the dnr and i will buy it for 1000 dollare. i happened to see the dna of a coyote and there is a gene missing that won't allow them to cross the only possible cross is a red wolf not even a gray wolf can produce young with a coyote,
it is rare to find a pure yote in the eastern part of the us as most are carrying red wolf genes the red wolf is the missing link they can cross with a gray wolf and the coyote these so called coydogs are red wolf coyote crosses.
sinse dna has been perfected this can be proven there was a guy advertising yote shepherd crosses i contacted him saying if he gave me a dna report proving this cross i would pay him double his asking price and guess what he never answered any more emails after all the ones he wrote me trying to sell me one

Posted by Clint Welsh on 03-24-2010 04:34 AM:

Check this out

Wolves and coyotes can cross. Dogs and coyotes can cross. I'm not going to argue about it, but people that think it can't happen may be misinformed.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3297665...cience-science/