UKC Forums Pages (2): [1] 2 »
Show all 41 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- Just Curious About "opinions" (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928498337)

Posted by H. L. Meyer on 01-13-2018 02:48 PM:

Just Curious About "opinions"

When you post your opinion on a question do you post those opinion on facts you can back up or are they just something you think sounds good, you have heard but can't back up, just old wives tales or you just thought shoot this might work.
JUST FOR FUN. Why does a dog tree?

Posted by Bruce m. Conkey on 01-13-2018 02:56 PM:

I learned this on this board many years ago and when I first heard it I thought the man was crazy. Then the more I watched and the more saw what was happening with our hounds. The more I thought it could be true.

Curt Wills has to get the credit for this. But he said they tree because they are FUSTRATED they can't take the track any further.

Before you call BS think about a few things. Dogs bark treed on a fence if they can't cross it and the track does. I think most would agree dogs have been bred with less tracking ability and the frustration of not being able to carry a track on has led to a lot of slick trees. They ain't treeing on those slick trees because they smell a coon there. they are treeing because they are frustrated.
We also have the tree power or frustration showing up in our dogs while in the pen at the house. Bark Collar sales are at an all time high. You breed for more tree power/fustration and you have an increase in bark collar sales. Now have fun with this one. LOL

Posted by yadkintar on 01-13-2018 03:35 PM:

Bruce I live in town these puppys are the 5th generation all my dogs tree hard deacons mother Nell the one that started all this never barked in the pen unless somthing was there that wasent supposed to be. My dogs don't bark in the pen that trait is inherited I did not teach it.

Tar

Babe the female in the vidios was born in this back yard granny was to you never know they are here.

Posted by Dogwhisper on 01-13-2018 03:51 PM:

Fustrated ......ugh ! IMO it's lack of brains, for fence barking,slick trees, etc.
I will say that yea they are fustrated cuzz they ain't got no brains to reason the trackout.

Posted by Richard Lambert on 01-13-2018 03:56 PM:

Some dogs tree out of frustration and some don't. Some tree just because another dog trees and some don't. Some dogs "jealous" tree and some don't. You can't make a blanket statement about all dogs.Do you think this pup will tree out of frustration when he grows up?

Posted by Bruce m. Conkey on 01-13-2018 04:00 PM:

The answer is YES if he does not have the tracking ability to carry the track to the right tree.

When you mention Jealous tree. Jealously is an emotion. Do you feel that dogs have emotions.

Posted by sleepy head on 01-13-2018 04:01 PM:

Bruce, im in on the frustration tree some what, but answer this, i started a pup this year and when she first started treeing her own, she would tree for a little while and then come to get me(before i went in). When she seen me a take few steps toward where she had treed, she would run back to the tree and tree again until i got there. That kinda makes me think she trying to tell me to come see what i got

Posted by Dave Richards on 01-13-2018 04:03 PM:

H L Meyer

I believe your question regarding "opinion" just got lost! Lol. Posters are more focused on the tree question. Dave

Posted by Bruce m. Conkey on 01-13-2018 04:10 PM:

I thought Mr. Meyer asked two questions. One about how you came to your opinion and one, your opinion on why dogs treed. I chose door #2. Guess you didn't like the door I chose.
So I will jump back to door #1. I have learned all my opinions for you guys on this message board. I have then taken them to the dogs pens and woods to verify them as facts. Some posters rate higher than others on their opinions turning out to be facts.

Posted by Dave Richards on 01-13-2018 04:43 PM:

Bruce Conkey

You are a wise man, taking others opinions and putting them to the "test". We can learn a lot from other people, some good and some not so good. It is up to each of us to decide the value of the information. Lol. Dave

Posted by Richard Lambert on 01-13-2018 05:38 PM:

Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey
When you mention Jealous tree.
Jealously is an emotion.
Do you feel that dogs have emotions?

Oh my goodness, you answered your own question.

Isn't "frustration" an emotion?

Mr Conkey, is it your opinion that the only reason dogs tree is frustration? And if so, since frustration is an emotion, then treeing is not a trait that can be bred into a dog. We can only breed for dogs with a lower level of frustration.

Posted by Richard Lambert on 01-13-2018 05:44 PM:

Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey
The answer is YES if he does not have the tracking ability to carry the track to the right tree..

My "opinion" is that pup will only tree when/where he smells the track going up a tree. Have you never had a dog that would trail and trail and then quit and go on or come back in when he could not find the tree a coon climbed?

Posted by micooner on 01-13-2018 05:46 PM:

Now that we have the why do dogs tree question out of the way. Why do some dogs chew at the tree?

Posted by sleepy head on 01-13-2018 05:54 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by micooner
Now that we have the why do dogs tree question out of the way. Why do some dogs chew at the tree?

I suspect it for the same reason a dog digging in a hole gets to a tree root and chews it into, he's trying to get to the coon

Posted by Richard Lambert on 01-13-2018 06:02 PM:

Re: Just Curious About "opinions"

quote:
Originally posted by H. L. Meyer
JUST FOR FUN. Why does a dog tree?

First let me preface by saying that this is just my "thoughts" and is not based on anything that I can back up. And when you have ADD then you have a lot of "thoughts" that just race around In your head. Some of them only make sense to you.
In the beginning there were running dogs. Then tree dogs were "developed" through selective breeding. So was this not a "trait" that was developed or concentrated into our tree dogs? And does it come from only one gene on the DNA chain? Or does it come from a combination of several different genes. Maybe that is why it can be concentrated more in some dogs than in others. Can that be why breeding is such a complicated matter. And by the way, there are only a set number of genes on a DNA chain. So when you concentrate one set of genes, then you are loosing other genes. In order to add something then you have to subtract something else.

Posted by Dave Richards on 01-13-2018 07:09 PM:

Treeing

My opinion is that a dog trees because it wants the game it treed! Look at how many different breeds of dogs that will tree by sight only, they see the game and want to get it. Many of those same dogs will not tree by scent, they have to see the game. Some dogs will trail right past dog/s slick treed and tree up the right tree. ( no flustration on their part ) Brains and nose are both needed for accuracy. Bird dogs will honor another dogs point as far as they can see the other dog ( no scent needed, only visual contact ). Dave

Posted by DMW on 01-13-2018 07:10 PM:

We try to control the natural instincts of our dogs though breeding. Treeing and chewing at the tree are the dogs natural instincts due to their genes. I believe some dogs are frustrated while treeing, but that's not why the dog trees, only a dog with genes that give him/her the natural instincts to bark continuously at the bottom of a tree will tree. The genes dogs get from their ancesters also gives them the natural instincts to decide why to tree. I've seen dogs that would not tree the smell of a hot biscuit but if another dog is treeing it would tree right beside them. I've seen dogs that would tree for the first 10 minutes, then get lazy and just bark every 10-20 seconds, I've seen dogs that milled around the tree and wouldn't tree, I've seen dogs that would tree for 20-45 minutes and move on... I've seen dogs that will fight on the tree but never anywhere else. Bottom line, it's in their blood, when just lead them, guide them, and do a small amount of teaching..
This is based on my experience, things I've read, things I've been taught by other people, and my opinion. Thanks if you read all this!!!

...."Wilkes' Zoom".... (Straight off Dohoney's Tom Horn)
...."Wilkes' Brooke".... (Sackett Jr., Slow Talking Buzz bred)
morganwilkes1.wixsite.com/wilkeswalkers

Posted by Huntnharris on 01-13-2018 09:36 PM:

If hounds tree out of frustration, than why do hounds just run track, like coyote, fox, deer or hog dogs? The same breeds we use to coon hunt are being used to hunt these other animals, and usually they are the coon hunters rejects being used for what ever reason. A dog that trees because of frustration has a fault, jealous treeing is a fault. If a dog just Tree out of frustration or jealousy, probably either has no sense or has no nose. Dogs tree because that is where the scent trail has brought them and ended in their brain, no it doesn't mean they are always right.

www.harrishoundsupply.net

Posted by joey on 01-13-2018 10:46 PM:

Bruce I could see thinking that but there is no way it can be the only reason. If it was a dog would stop and bark in one spot where ever they lost the track. Including out in the middle of a field. I've always thought dogs tree to call in the pack. That pack in many cases is not other dogs but its owner. Its saying I found him come help me get it.

Mr. Meyer thats my opinion based on observation and deductive reasoning. There isn't anything we know about a dogs behavior that we can call fact.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Posted by yadkintar on 01-13-2018 10:54 PM:

I think the reason they tree is way more in depth than any of us will ever understand but it's a behavior you can't make one do it that don't have it in them and you can shore take it out of one by putting them with aggressive dogs that won't allow them to tree.

Tar

Posted by Roy Grant on 01-14-2018 12:01 AM:

Sir you are asking coon hunters that question. LMAO Every post on here is 10% fact and 90% bs. Mr Conkey you are 100% correct we have bred the nose completely out of these dogs and when the nose left it suck the brains with it.

Posted by yadkintar on 01-14-2018 12:09 AM:

We you got a mouse in your pocket Roy lol.

Tar

Posted by H. L. Meyer on 01-14-2018 01:09 AM:

joey

I beg to differ on your last statement. Fact a dog with the trait GUARD no matter what breed will bite you or at least attempt to bite you if you invade his privacy. That is a fact Now some dogs thresh whole is grater than others but with that said the trait GUARD if a fact.

Posted by Richard Lambert on 01-14-2018 01:59 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by joey
.....deductive reasoning.......

Oh my goodness....I like that. It sounds so much better than, "I just made it up". I am going to start using that like I came up with it.

Posted by Richard Lambert on 01-14-2018 02:05 AM:

Mr Grant, let me out of your pocket also. Have you hunted with any of my dogs? My Wendy female has too much nose.