UKC Forums Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »
Show all 73 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- Toughest State To Hunt (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=336961)

Posted by bluedogtn on 02-24-2010 12:02 AM:

Toughest State To Hunt

Just looking for some experiences of the toughest states yall have hunted in. Coon pop.,terrain,etc.

Southern Blue Copper

Posted by Robert Johnson on 02-24-2010 12:12 AM:

Georgia....not because i live here, but because it is just tougher to tree coons here due to population, the weather is hot hot in summer, and can get pretty cool here in winter. Brairs are everywhere due to timber harvesting, and yes those snakes are something to deal with also.I'm sure it is tough about anywhere down south. Most places i have been up north are cake walks compared to here.

Johnson Creek Kennels
home of:
UKC Grand Nite Champion "PR" Yadkin River Addkis. Deceased 12/11/2016 RIP

2009/2010/2011/2012 AKC GA. State Leader and Supreme Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

2010 ACHA Georgia State Champion Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

PKC Champion Yadkin River Addkis

Bright Eye Lights

Treeing Walkers

912-663-5287 cell (perfered)

Posted by BWSupplies on 02-24-2010 12:12 AM:

North Carolina

You can go from the mountains to the coast and hills, swamps and flat land in between. We don't have as many coons as other states and it takes a good dog to get it done.
Fall and winter isn't so bad. As for spring and summer, we go straight from cold weather to hot weather. Hot weather you have to contend with rattle snakes, copperheads, and cotton mouth. If you are in swamps around the coast, you have gators( they think walkers taste like chicken! LOL ) Come on to NC and give it a try.

bwsupplies@aol.com
704-791-7751
36479 NC HWY 49
New London, NC, 28127
President of the SBA
Member of the BBOA & BBCHA
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Backwoods-Supplies/167389623298613

Posted by chuckydw on 02-24-2010 12:17 AM:

North TX. Not very many coons and the ones there are like to run. And when they run they run fence rows. They don't run bottoms. Also it gets hotter that he$$ here in the summertime.

Posted by bluedogtn on 02-24-2010 12:18 AM:

I get plenty of exercise in the big hills around here. I dont know if my dogs would hunt in the swamps. They do ok with water as long as it aint 20 degrees like it has been. Also, the coon population is very low here too due to a select few that kill every coon they see.

Southern Blue Copper

Posted by Blue Iron on 02-24-2010 12:22 AM:

Worst places I've hunted have been Eastern Kentucky (Mountains) and Northern Florida (THICK Swamps)

GRCH GRNITECH"PR" Blue Iron Brummy HTX

Top 100 Finalist 2012 UKC World Hunt.

King of Hunt 2013 BBOA National Bluetick Days

Tree Blue

I use and recommend Backwoods Supplies

Posted by Okie Dawg on 02-24-2010 12:27 AM:

This should be interesting. A lot of states have a lot of variance in terrain and weather. Oklahoma goes from small mountains on the east to desert like on the west to rocky hills on the south to crop land grass and creaks on the north. We pretty much have it all. So I would say we have as hard as most but we have as good as most allso. Just depends on were you want to go to hunt.
Never even been there but here Arizonia is tough to track in.

Tonkawa Okla. 74653
580-628-0507
CH 'PR' Grady's Dark Woods Waylon -Bluetic

NITECH 'PR' Grady's Insane Tinker Bell (Tink) - Treeing walker --Okla. State Hunt open redg. winner

'PR' Grady's Barley - Treeing Walker

Posted by BWSupplies on 02-24-2010 12:29 AM:

They say everything's tougher in Alaska!

bwsupplies@aol.com
704-791-7751
36479 NC HWY 49
New London, NC, 28127
President of the SBA
Member of the BBOA & BBCHA
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Backwoods-Supplies/167389623298613

Posted by jdw2920 on 02-24-2010 01:26 AM:

southeast tn

Posted by ki4qpu on 02-24-2010 01:48 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by jdw2920
southeast tn

I will second that! I don't know if it is the toughest. But I sure have been in some places I wish I wasn't.

Home of the pot lickers

Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day! Teach a man to fish, and tomorrow he'll have all his buddies in your fishin' hole!

Posted by jdw2920 on 02-24-2010 01:57 AM:

Its pretty tough if you get one a night you are lucky. All who you know around here because there is not very many land to hunt.
Plus them hills are rough.

Posted by lccoonhunter on 02-24-2010 02:06 AM:

I

AM WITH BILL I WOULD SAY THE CAROLINAS SWAMPS,HILLS AND ALL IN BETWEEN!

704-320-5232
KEEP THE YOUTH INVOLVED SOMEDAY YOU WILL GET OLD IF THE GOOD LORD ALLOWS IT AND YOU WILL WANT SOMEBODY TO TAKE YOU HUNTING!!!!!!!!!

Posted by marvgru on 02-24-2010 02:43 AM:

Iowa! lol! I had to say it!sorry!

Posted by Lonnie Tackett on 02-24-2010 03:01 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by Blue Iron
Worst places I've hunted have been Eastern Kentucky (Mountains) and Northern Florida (THICK Swamps)

I live here in the mountains in eastern ky, and blue iron has it right . just 2 directions straight up or straight down . if you have a dog that can be consistent here and tree half of the coons you run then you have a limbskinner in most other states . did i mention rattlesnakes out the gazoonga

Posted by jake2 on 02-24-2010 12:47 PM:

Up here in northern Minnesota can be tough. I will admit spring and fall we get some nice hunting but winters are long and cold 20 below right now outside summers are short and all the hunting is around swamps. Misquetos are thick and as big as birds I believe the areas talked about are tougher hunting but I would take it compared to here walking through deep snow is just as hard as any hills. Im not trying to take anything away from any of you others that have tough going just saying theres more to think about.

Posted by oklared on 02-24-2010 12:51 PM:

Hawahii

Posted by bluedogtn on 02-24-2010 01:24 PM:

Im just glad noone is fighting over which state it the toughest to hunt lol. I guess almost every state has someone that makes it tough to hunt. Im not going to say these hills(s. eastern ky,northeaster tn) are the toughest to hunt,because im 21 and they dont bother me YET !! I have always wanted to check out the hunting out west. Hows the coon population and terrain out there...maybe around iowa

Southern Blue Copper

Posted by jake2 on 02-24-2010 01:59 PM:

up here in the fall i have some good hunting when the coon are in the corn. We have some nice size coon too,a guy from missouri was up here working pipeline we took him hunting a few times he was suprized at the size of the coon. our coon pop is getting back up some now i have seen 9 or 10 many nights. years ago seemed like there was always 5 to 7 per tree now 2 in a tree is good. last fall was pretty good i cant complain i got to shoot a few for the dogs and seen quite a few. i want to hunt down south just to try it.We dont have the hunters up here like a lot of places have not many hunts to go to but i think that helps our coon pop. I look at some states that have hunts everyweekend and think that would be nice but im sure with that many people running hounds it gets tougher to find a coon to tree.

Posted by Ray Lilly on 02-24-2010 02:04 PM:

South Ga and North FL. SWAMPS!!!

Gr.NiteCh. Lilly's GA. Joe (GrniteCh Flippo's Mr.Bigshot X NiteCh Ace female)
Gr.NiteCh. Lilly's GA. Buckshot (Joe X Albert's Last Chance female)
'PR' Lilly&Swan's Allnight Tuff Enuf (Joe X GrNite Ch Swan's Allnight Ashley)co-owned with Jamie Swan
'PR' Lilly's Ga. Joe II (Joe X GrNiteCh Ch Swan's Allnight Ashley)
'PR' Collake's Pretty Patsy (4 Time Floyd x Rocket female)

Posted by henkeanthony on 02-24-2010 02:27 PM:

I'll tell you here in central missouri is pretty tough. All these rolling hills, river, and creek bottoms are rough.

660-728-2944

Posted by jstrow on 02-24-2010 02:29 PM:

minnesota is an easy place to hunt if you have a good dog ive treed coon just about every month this year. i would think florida would be hard to hunt

Posted by on 02-24-2010 03:01 PM:

I have never hunted in WV but I have drove all over it and I can't imagine a tougher place to follow a hound.

Posted by mike shannon on 02-24-2010 03:15 PM:

LOUISIANA

All the underbrush, snakes,gators, and summer heat plus every bug known to mankind

NITECH CH HTX PR SHANNON'S HILLBILLY CHIEF 6 CAST WINS
PR SHANNON’S HILLBILLY LUCIE
PR SHANNON’S HILLBILLY MAXIE

If you can read this thank a TEACHER
If you can read this in English, thank a VETERAN

www.freewebs.com/shannonshowmekennels

United States Army Retired

Posted by adam coffman on 02-24-2010 03:19 PM:

where i live in wv is tough.straight up and down..

Posted by Big R.D. on 02-24-2010 03:33 PM:

rough hunting

If any of you hunters get around iowa let me know i have it easy and lots of coons to tree. i dont mind rough hunting but the snakes would make me a little jumpy.