UKC Forums Pages (19): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Show all 461 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- Treeing Walkers (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=52)
-- "Finley River" questions. (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=8532)

Posted by Coonhusker on 12-12-2003 02:22 AM:

"Finley River" questions.

Hollow Oaks thread about which dog you would want a pup off of has gotten me awful curious about the Finley River line of hounds. I'm sure their are plenty of knowledgable houndsmen on here that could tell me more about them. Who started this line of hounds? Are true Finley River dogs still available? I didnt subscribed to CB until a little over a year ago, but it seems that I remember seeing a Finley River ad in an issue but I can't find it now. Has their been one dog that stood out in this line or is the line itself whats gained respect from everyone? Just trying to answer some questions I was wondering about. Thanks for the info!!

Posted by DAVE FREEMAN JR on 12-12-2003 03:06 AM:

CORNHUSKER THE FINLEY RIVER STOCK OF HOUNDS STARTED IN SOUTHERN MO. PROBABLY THE TWO MEN THAT WOULD BE MOST RESPONSIBLE WOULD BE HOWARD CLAXTON AND HERB CARSTEN. THEY HAD SEVERAL OF THE MORE FAMOUS DOGS IN THE OLD LINE. DOGS SUCH AS FINLEY RIVER CHIEF, BUCK AND SPOT. IT IS GETTING HARDER AND HARDER TO FIND THEM ALL THE TIME. MOST LIKELY LONNIE MEARS HAS THE STOUTEST BRED FINLEY RIVER HOUNDS ANYMORE.

Posted by old joe on 12-12-2003 03:25 AM:

Finley River

Lonnie lived around Springfield last I heard. Anyone that hunted with his old Dan knew that they were with a good one. Coonhusker, I sent you a pm. When can you and Teg. go out.

Posted by nitehawk on 12-12-2003 03:40 AM:

Terry Danials,World Ch Danials Duke,1998 World Ch,Deep in Finley River for years.

Posted by wkfii on 12-12-2003 04:36 PM:

Red Eagle

I think that the Red Eagle dogs are very thick in Finley River blood. Cody Hanson in Wisc. is breeding these dogs. A few outcrosses, but solid.

Posted by Bullet on 12-13-2003 02:41 AM:

I have some of this line.

I raised a few litters of nice Finley River bred pups. Not much of that line left here in the southeast. I have two Dual Gr Ch males that are bred out of some of the old Finley River stock. They are honest track dogs and very accurate, stay put tree dogs, and the best part is that they are not ill or aggressive in any way.

No Jesus.....No Peace

Posted by DAVE FREEMAN JR on 12-13-2003 03:42 AM:

BULLET HOW ARE THE MALES BRED. THE DOGS I HUNT GO BACK TO FINLEY RIVER DOGS BUT HAVE BEEN OUTCROSSED SO MANY TIMES YOU CAN'T REALLY CALL THEM FINLEY RIVER ANYMORE. OURS GO BACK TO GRNTCH FINLEY RIVER SPIKE BUT HE IS 5 GENERATIONS BACK.

Posted by jackbob42 on 12-13-2003 04:57 AM:

Did some diggin

For what it's worth :

Perkins Butch
Taylors Sonny Boy
Perkins Sue
Shetlers Sonny Boy
Rineharts Joe
Uhls Nancy
Williams Nancy

Nite Ch. Finley River Chief
Boerings Buck
Drum
Boerings Queen
Bixlers Supreme Sally
Eichermans Web
Bell
Moores Sally

From what I have :

Chief x Goodales Cindy II = Mears Finley River Dan ,

Chief x Feltmans Lenawee Queen = Ganns Finisher ,

Chief x Guilfords Michigan Lady = Herrods Ky. River Jack

Chief x Finley River Bell = Finley River Pete

Chief x Monroes Cindy = Spring Creek C.B.

Ailshie Ozark Dan x Finley River Bell = Carsten Finley River Buck

That's about as far back as my pedigrees go.

Bob

Posted by comet2 on 12-13-2003 05:22 AM:

I owned one off old Lonnie he is 10 years I gave him to a friend,that has2 young boys .they hunt him about 1 time ever 2 weeks. HE will tree them one. and then they go home He was A good track dog ,and a good tree dog and I sure did love his mouth. I dont know If Lonnie ,OR Buck m. owned old Lonnie. I never breed Jet wish I had,

Posted by jackbob42 on 12-13-2003 12:34 PM:

Maybe this looks better.

quote:
Originally posted by jackbob42
For what it's worth :

------------------------------------------------Perkins Butch
-------------------------Taylors Sonny Boy
----------------------------------------------- Perkins Sue

-----------------Shetlers Sonny Boy

------------------------------------------------Rineharts Joe
------------------------ Uhls Nancy
------------------------------------------------Williams Nancy

Nite Ch. Finley River Chief

------------------------------------------------Boerings Buck
-------------------------Drum
------------------------------------------------Boerings Queen

------------------Bixlers Supreme Sally

------------------------------------------------Eichermans Web
-------------------------Bell
------------------------------------------------Moores Sally

From what I have :

Chief x Goodales Cindy II = Mears Finley River Dan ,

Chief x Feltmans Lenawee Queen = Ganns Finisher ,

Chief x Guilfords Michigan Lady = Herrods Ky. River Jack

Chief x Finley River Bell = Finley River Pete

Chief x Monroes Cindy = Spring Creek C.B.

Ailshie Ozark Dan x Finley River Bell = Carsten Finley River Buck

That's about as far back as my pedigrees go.

Bob

Posted by jackbob42 on 12-13-2003 12:36 PM:

nope

I give up.

Posted by Bullet on 12-13-2003 11:08 PM:

Dave Freeman Jr.

My 8 year dog is out of a GrNiteCh directly out of Nelson's Radar and a Finley River Nite Hawk female. This same 8 year old dog goes back to the old Finley River Dan dog 6 times in 5 generations. My 4 year old dog is Nelson's Radar and Hardwood Buster II bred. If you go to my web site at geocities.com/coondoggy_dog you can see pics and pedigree and some offspring of the 8 year old dog.

No Jesus.....No Peace

Posted by toph on 12-14-2003 01:37 AM:

I have a litter on the ground right know out off my DualGR female and GRNT Finley River Boomer they both go back to Nighthawk and Lonnie Mears stuff. The thing I like about this line is thier good looks,Layup ability,track speed & brains. They just are a pleasure to train and hunt.
Chris Halverson

Posted by DAVE FREEMAN JR on 12-14-2003 11:05 PM:

GRNTCH FINLEY RIVER TURBO
THIS IS THE DOG THAT TAUGHT ME HOW TO COONHUNT. I'D LIKE TO HAVE ANOTHER ONE JUST LIKE HIM TODAY. THE HARDEST HUNTING DOG I HAVE EVER SEEN. IF YOU TURNED HIM LOOSE YOU PICKED HIM OFF A TREE SOMEWHERE. I LOST HIM IN A GRNTCH CAST ONE NIGHT AND FOUND HIM TREED WITH A COON 6 MILES DOWN THE CREEK WE WERE HUNTING. HE WAS OUT OF NTCH FINLEY RIVER SPOT AND A FEMALE THAT WAS A GRAND DAUGTHER TO GRNTCH FINLEY RIVER BUCK. I'M NOW HUNTING A GRAND DAUGHTER AND GREAT GRAND DAUGHTER TO HIM.

Posted by GES on 12-15-2003 02:06 AM:

More on Finley River dogs....

Dave Freeman, thankfully, gave credit to the orignators of the Finley River dogs which began on the Finley River just south of Springfield, MO. and Laura added a couple of the lines greatest promoters which also are from Mo. You can still find some of the original type of Finley River dogs, but a lot of them with Finley River in the pedigree have gotten away from the original characteristics. Most of the old dogs were NOT blanketback, but white with a broken pattern across the back or mostly white. Most of the older Finley River dogs had a thick, coarse coat of hair and a lot of it. The dogs were "cleaned up a bit" for showing which you see today, and generally are not the hard, blow down tree dogs that are so popular now. They were accurate and had a lot of sense, however. I have been hunting a Finley River dog since 1977 starting with a son of GrNtCh Mears Finley River Dan. The best crosses for consitency were perhaps daughters of Finley River Joe crossed on Finley River Dan. The dogs I have here noware heavy Finley River through GrNtCh Rickman's Finley River Boone, Dual Grand Finley River Penny, Dual Grand Finley River Chico, Dual Ch Finely River Lonnie, Dual Grand Nitehawk, Finley River Sam (an old dog my neighbor owned that was tough as they come!), Pantry's Cedar Creek Hobo, Singer, and Sue II, and GrNt Twin Rivers Dusty. The Lone Pine dogs are a good source of the old Finley River blood, too. The just kept their "ugly" and they also kept their "coon dog"! Spring Creek dogs also came from the line, but have sort of suffered the same fate of being outcrossed to the point of no return. Lonnie Mears of Springfield, MO, Rick Vestal of Tennessee, Gary Brown in Illinois, Terry Daniel of Iowa, and Tom Strang of Pennsylvania all have some of the old stock in their dogs. Hope this helps you out!

A BLACK HOLSTEIN PROBABLY CAME FROM AN ANGUS BULL.........Keep 'em spotted

Posted by DAVE FREEMAN JR on 12-15-2003 02:41 AM:

GES WHERE ARE YOU IN MO. THE FINLEY RIVER BRED HOUDS I HAVE GO BACK TO GRNTCH FINLEY RIVER SPIKE THAT RON ENTLICHER HAD. YOU NAIL THEM RIGHT ON THE HEAD. SPOTTED WITH COARSE HAIR AND ABOUT 70 TO 80 BPM TREEDOGS. ONE THING ABOUT THEM IS THEY TRY TO HAVE A COON WHEN THEY TREE AND CAN MOVE A COLD TRACK.

Posted by GES on 12-16-2003 02:06 AM:

I live in Bevier, MO which is just west of Macon. Mudcreek and I hunt together a lot and you can see some of my dogs on his website---my dogs are stuck with "Toad Holler", since that is where my first dog came from. If you know Matt Fenoff from Bulter, he hunted my Star female one summer down at Higginsville, Holden, and Clinton. He also owned a little male called Boomer that is out of Mudcreek's Speedy dog and my Rosie female that he really liked. Best of luck with your hounds,

GES

Posted by jtd on 12-16-2003 04:27 AM:

I had a Nt Champ. female that was out of Finley River Chief 3. She was semi on track and nice tree dog. She came from Texas I believe from a gentleman named Alan Essex.

Posted by DAVE FREEMAN JR on 12-16-2003 05:21 AM:

GRNTCH PKC CH. SACKETT'S LITTLE LADY ON THE RIGHT OUT GRNTCH ROCK RIVER SACKETT JR AND GRNTCH FINLEY RIVER LADY. LADY IS THE 3RD GENERATION GRNTCH WE HAVE RAISED AND TRAINED OUT OF FINLEY RIVER BLOOD. TURBO, LADY, AND LITTLE LADY.

Posted by william Hanson on 12-16-2003 06:39 AM:

Finley river dogs

herb carsten started the finley river strain! He sold finley river dan to lonnie mears.Finley river Buck was there when he sold dan i do belive. Herb carsten started with coon dogs not show dogs!!! and you asked where you can get this blood. I have it here at my place as i have bred it over the last 15 yrs or so. I lined on old finley river mike cuz his mother was a sister to normans coon stopper, okla. striker and so on and i belived it to be the best there was to be had any where! (besides old finley river buck himself) and alot of us old guys around will tell you that for sure!!! you can e-mail me if you want more info or a pup.

Posted by william Hanson on 12-16-2003 06:48 AM:

Finley river dogs

you forgot old finley river boones daddy finley river mike!!! my line of finley river also comes off this line as a half sister was mated to boone both were off mike and i like em fine............ and i have since line bred them some more after adding spring creek and the red eagle dogs to it---- want more finley river???? oh and mine tree 100 plus barks a min. when its cool but will slow some in the heat course i suppose most will if they have any brains at all..

Posted by John Vaught on 12-16-2003 09:46 AM:

Dog not treeing on left

Is the dog on the right a show dog ? His/her mouth is not open treeing just standing there in a pose......

Posted by Coonhusker on 12-16-2003 12:45 PM:

William Hanson

I am not in the market for any dogs at the moment. When I am I will give heavy thought on anyone that has good old Finley River blood. Thanks to everyone that has replied. I have a lot of info to digest from this.

Posted by DAVE FREEMAN JR on 12-16-2003 01:34 PM:

JOHN VAUGHT DOES THIS ONE MAKE HER LOOK BETTER ? THE ONE IN THE OTHER PICTURE THAT LOOKS LIKE A SHOW DOG IS THIS DOG. GUNSLINGIN' LADY OUT OF GRNTCH GUNSLINGER AND GRNTCH SACKETT'S LITTLE LADY. SHE IS A LITTLE BETTER LOOKING THAN HER MOTHER BUT STILL NOT A SHOW DOG. THE FINLEY RIVER BLOOD IS GETTING HARDER AND HARDER TO FIND. MOST HAVE BEEN BRED MORE FOR SHOW BUT SOME PEOPLE STILL HUNT THEM.

Posted by Oak Ridge on 12-16-2003 06:26 PM:

Finally, some experts in the old Finley River blood. I have a female who has a dog called GR NT Loomis's Finley River Mike in her 3 Generation pedigree. Can someone give me some insight into the Mike dog, his accomplishments and his sire and dams name?

Thanks in advance

Joe Newlin