UKC Forums Pages (8): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Show all 180 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- Venomous snakes (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928453783)

Posted by rdmedders on 06-10-2016 05:36 PM:

Venomous snakes

I live in North East Alabama, I've been coon hunting gorgeous over 20 years. I hunt all year , I've never seen a poisonous snake out hunting. It might be because , I'm not looking for them lol
My question is do other hunters see many poisonous snakes?
As anyone been biten?
Thanks for reading.

Posted by RLenhart on 06-10-2016 05:50 PM:

I live in the ridges of west central PA. I do not believe we have the snake problems some of you guys down south do but right in my general area we do have lots of copper heads and our share of timber rattlers as well. I almost never see any when out hunting but I know they're there especially when I get into a rocky outcrop on the ridge "they have to be there" but no I do not see them "almost never". I do believe though that anybody living in areas where there are many poisonous snakes at all rather it be copper heads, rattlers, or cotton mouths really should wear snake chaps in the summer time. I always do, the next one that bites me will be the first but I do think it's a worth while precaution IMO.

Posted by joey on 06-10-2016 08:36 PM:

Cotton mouths, lots and lots of them. We have plenty of everything else. I just never see them but we see lots and lots of cotton mouths. Especially in the summer when the water gets low and they start to get concentrated. I have had 2 different guys over the years, one from up in the hills and another from Texas that said they would never hunt with me again. They don't bother me, I just go around them if I can if not I slap them with a dog leash and kill them.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Posted by GA DAWG on 06-10-2016 09:06 PM:

I see some copperhead and rattlers usually ruins my night and I go home lol. I hate them. A guy in east Ga got bit last yr. Put a hurting on him for a while. He said it was not something he wants to ever happen again.

Posted by Donnie Stevens on 06-10-2016 09:53 PM:

I don't do snakes. Passed up some nice opportunities because I simply refuse to hunt where I " might " see a snake. Sooner hunt bear country with a pork chop tied around my neck. Could have went and worked for John Wick 30 years ago but had to turn it down cause of the snake phobia.

Posted by David Richardson on 06-10-2016 11:24 PM:

Cottonmouth

I see one of these nearly every night I hunt.

NITECH CH 'PR' MILL CREEK BO-R.I.P.
NITECH CH 'PR' HOUSE'S SCREAMIN NELL

Posted by justus on 06-10-2016 11:45 PM:

Better stay away from southwest va around Grundy area see several a night around strip jobs mostly copperheads killed over 40 one summer dog got
Bit 7 times that summer killed two rattlers.

GrNite-Queen of Diamonds-(GrNite TnT's Smokeman-Lesters Queen)

TK'S Turkey Cocks Slinger-(GrNite-Charlie Brown-GrNite-Queen of Diamons

Diamonds 14k-(GrNite-Days hardwood Lonzo-GrNite-Queen of Diamonds

Posted by Hayseedlady on 06-10-2016 11:47 PM:

A neighbor has harvested a 6 ft rattler off my creek in the pasture, met the future Son in Law while skinning out a 5 footer I shot in the front yard. My daughter was not amused, the other half cracked open a beer & said welcome to the family.

The other day I spotted a 2.5 ft corn snake. The dogs wanted nothing to do with it.

Posted by shadinc on 06-11-2016 12:51 AM:

Seems like I've been seeing fewer snakes every year. Haven't seen any in the last two years. I'm not sure if it's fewer snakes or poorer eyesight.

Posted by chip johnson on 06-11-2016 01:02 AM:

I live in South Central PA. The only venomous snakes we have is copperheads. Never seen one while hunting but my dog got bit by one last week. Being close to the Susquehanna River there is plenty of them, I try to stay out of that area in the summer.

Posted by Well Started on 06-11-2016 03:50 AM:

Not a snake fan and hate a poisonous snake. On the poisonous side we have copperheads and timber rattlers. More rattlers than copperheads are killed around here. I avoid certain areas in the summer and so far have never run into 1 and hope not to.

Posted by GA DAWG on 06-11-2016 04:07 AM:

Crap. Yall didnt have to post pictures.

Posted by Hayseedlady on 06-11-2016 04:33 AM:

Pictures make it interesting. I'm trying to remember the codes to post pictures on this format.

Posted by GA DAWG on 06-11-2016 04:53 AM:

I didn't figure Iowa had snakes. Thought it got to cold up there.

Posted by Bill(Chew) on 06-11-2016 05:55 AM:

Where I live there are plenty of snakes, all kinds. I almost never see them at night because I don't look for them. I try to look where I walk but often times you can't see the ground. I do wear boots with heavy chaps.

I find rattlers are quite docile unless you get them agitated.

Posted by MIKE CARDER on 06-11-2016 09:24 AM:

Snakes

Around here we have a lot of copperhead snakes but recently been hearing more about rattlers. Never seen one around here then today of all days at work poof they show up.

Phone number 270-820-5560

Posted by Outback1 on 06-11-2016 02:59 PM:

I see more in my yard than I do in the wood's. can't stand the dang things!

Posted by Donnie Stevens on 06-11-2016 05:29 PM:

Chaps and boots wouldn't help me any a heart attack will kill me faster then the snake anyway

Posted by justus on 06-11-2016 05:43 PM:

Speaking of em my gyp got bit on foot -copperhead

GrNite-Queen of Diamonds-(GrNite TnT's Smokeman-Lesters Queen)

TK'S Turkey Cocks Slinger-(GrNite-Charlie Brown-GrNite-Queen of Diamons

Diamonds 14k-(GrNite-Days hardwood Lonzo-GrNite-Queen of Diamonds

Posted by Hayseedlady on 06-11-2016 07:34 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by GA DAWG
I didn't figure Iowa had snakes. Thought it got to cold up there.

Just rattlesnakes in this area, it does get too cold for other snakes. I've never seen any while out in the timber checking cattle or picking berries. Just in case I always take the 10/22, my shadow dog (Vizsla/Lab), the 2 blue tick gyps & wear a long skirt. Snakes will strike the fluttering hem, not me.

[img]http://s1243.photobucket.com/share/links?u=http%3A%2F%2Fs1243.photobucket. com%2Fuser%2FElayne_L_Kemery%2Fmedia%2FMobile%2520
Uploads%2FFB_IMG_1461250171283_zpsaktvw0kd.jpg.html%3Fsort%3D3%26o%3D1[/img]

Posted by Dave Richards on 06-12-2016 01:05 AM:

Mike Carder

The snake picture you show looks like a massasauga rattlesnake definitely not a timber rattlesnake. How long was this snake? Massasauga's do not get very long. Just curious! Dave

Posted by MIKE CARDER on 06-12-2016 02:33 AM:

Re: Mike Carder

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
The snake picture you show looks like a massasauga rattlesnake definitely not a timber rattlesnake. How long was this snake? Massasauga's do not get very long. Just curious! Dave

I would say it was all of 3 foot long. The other one that was found was about the same length. I don't know the difference between them its just a snake to me.

Below is a picture of a beagle that got bit in the face by a copperhead.

Posted by Dave Richards on 06-12-2016 02:46 AM:

Mike Carder

Mike- That is big for a massasauga rattlesnake as they do not get much longer. Do a Google search and look at the massasauga and timber rattlesnakes. They are quite different in markings and the timbers get much bigger. Just out of curiosity where were the ones you seen located ( general area )? Dave

Posted by Redneck Mafia on 06-12-2016 02:52 AM:

Killed a big copperhead under the front porch swing last week. My neighbor 1/2 mi through the woods has a snake hunting bird dog that is 13yrs old and has averaged over 20 copperheads a yr that is 260+ , you'd think we wouldn't have a snake left around here.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Posted by MIKE CARDER on 06-12-2016 03:12 AM:

Re: Mike Carder

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
Mike- That is big for a massasauga rattlesnake as they do not get much longer. Do a Google search and look at the massasauga and timber rattlesnakes. They are quite different in markings and the timbers get much bigger. Just out of curiosity where were the ones you seen located ( general area )? Dave

I work for TVA and we are located right on the Green river in Muhlenberg county Ky. The have been doing a lot of digging all over the 3200 acre reservation. I looked them up and yes there are distinctly different.