UKC Forums
Show all 19 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- Is it true.... (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928332731)

Posted by Ty Ford on 08-11-2013 10:49 PM:

Is it true....

That a caged coon will return home after you turn it loose? Have heard from some people that taking coons to where I hunt and turn loose does no good because they will try and return home.

Posted by Tully on 08-11-2013 11:11 PM:

You be they will. I haul them at least 20-25 miles if people are giving them to me to use with pups.

Grnitech Grch4 $KC Ch Sky's Bawlin' Blue Rocket
Rocket's Dowd Creed Wack
Emma's Blue Power Amigo
Ch Rocket's T&T Gnarly Blue Smash
00 Dowd Creek Wack
Rocket's Dowd Creek Lil Deuce

641-352-0706

Posted by Ty Ford on 08-11-2013 11:28 PM:

It's about 35 miles from the house to where I hunt. Hopefully some will stay so I can work puppies this fall.

Posted by POTOMAC on 08-12-2013 12:49 AM:

The best luck you will have with coons is catch a sow with little ones are catch young coons and even last years kittens put them on a creek where food is plentiful and dens trees anything with any size to it is not staying!!!it has been documented a coon travels 67 miles to return to it's home most I don't think will go that far unless it would be on a river etc... But what I do know is Amy coon with Amy age on it at all is not staying where you turn them loose!!!

Posted by Ty Ford on 08-12-2013 12:57 AM:

Wow 67 miles. I've turned a couple a kittens loose right on a creek with plentynfood and dens. Maybe they'll stay. Guess all the big ones was a waste of time.

Posted by Bob Hennessey on 08-12-2013 03:36 AM:

I've had good luck with sows with kits, but I don't think an older boar or barren sow will stay. Not sure that a boar in this country has a home range. Relocated a couple of litters with sows a couple of years ago and put a bucket in the area till fall and believe most stayed.

You can't fix STUPID!

Posted by nccoonhunter197 on 08-12-2013 12:51 PM:

When my dad and I would get coons people had caught we would keep them up in a pen for a week or so and then go turn them out. This seemed to work pretty well. We took one the day it was caught and took it probably 20 miles to a spot and turned it out. A week and a half later the man called us up and said he had us another coon but he thought it was the same one he had already caught. We got there and sure enough it was the same one. It had a big scar on its back and you could plainly see it was the same coon. This coon crossed countless roads, a mountain, and a lot of water to go home. It was a nice sized boar coon.

Brian Teague 252-649-3050

Posted by James Garrison on 08-13-2013 08:16 PM:

I know a man that painted a orange strip down ones back and took it to town and turned it loose, three days later he caught the same coon . It had went 17 miles as the crow flies.

Gr. Nt. Ch. Garrisons Brindle Hobo
Gr. Nt. Ch. Garrisons Brindle Luke
Gr. Nt. Ch. Garrisons Brindle Honey
Nite Ch. Garrisons Brindle Lead Nite Ch. Garrisons Brindle Belle
Nite Champion Garrisons Brindle Buckshot HTX
At Stud Grand Nite Ch. Garrisons Brindle Trax

Posted by buzzardcreek on 08-13-2013 08:44 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by James Garrison
I know a man that painted a orange strip down ones back and took it to town and turned it loose, three days later he caught the same coon . It had went 17 miles as the crow flies.
I have done the same experiment with green paint turned 10 coon with paint on them loose where my buckets are 12 miles from the lady's porch where I caught the coons I caught 15 more coon off her porch and never saw one with green paint but I did tree 3 that had paint on them where my buckets are what stood out the most is how fast the paint wears off after only a month you can barely see a few small flecks of paint stuck to their fur.never do I turn loose a big boar coon in my spots they will run your other coon off quicker than a disease

Posted by skeets on 08-14-2013 10:19 AM:

a old man told me one time the best way to get a coon to stay is after you turn it loose watch what tree the coon goes up then nail a feeder bucket to it.

Posted by ysudep2 on 08-14-2013 12:28 PM:

I think some people are full of chit! If coons were traveling 15 miles to get back to where you catch them here, they'd be flat on the road. I believe they prolly don't stay where you cut them but they aren't homing pigeons for gods sake.

Home of:
GR NITE CH GR CH 'PR' DePalmo's Livin On Alimony
CH 'PR' DePalmo and Stine's Bombshell Bella

Posted by POTOMAC on 08-14-2013 12:38 PM:

Ysudep maybe you better do some research before you start throwing innuendoes around about coon not traveling !!! A coon usually stay within a mile radius nightly feeding boars that are rutting usually travel 6 miles a night in search of sows to breed !!! Im not saying everyone goes like that but I will tell you in the last 8 years have turned over200 loose around the house and guess what if I started killing coon in 30 nights I could propably make it pretty hard to strike one around here!! Also coons in the area where you cut them loose will run them out of the area ! I saw the 67 miles recorded on some research I was doing on the topic !! You are more than welcome to google it yourself and do your own research and then you will be educated on the subject!!!

Posted by john Duemmer on 08-14-2013 12:42 PM:

They deffinatly travel back if they are mature coon, how many make it all the way before they find a place they like i dont have a clue.

When i was a kid we got overrun with farm cats so my oldman caught up a big bunch and drove them 20 miles to a friends dairy farm, within 2 weeks half of them were back. The next solution was more permanent.Lol.

Posted by Larry Atherton on 08-14-2013 04:22 PM:

There have been studies done on relocated small nuisance animals including coon.

Only 10-20% actually live. Most end up dead on the road. This topic is of importance for ADC businesses. Any more in Michigan the DNR would just prefer everyone to dispatch an animal instead of relocating it.

Aim small miss small

Posted by ysudep2 on 08-14-2013 05:21 PM:

I believe I said the coons will more than likely travel out of the woods their turned in? But I'll stick by my thought that coons aren't traveling 17 miles to get back to the same woods they were caught in.

Home of:
GR NITE CH GR CH 'PR' DePalmo's Livin On Alimony
CH 'PR' DePalmo and Stine's Bombshell Bella

Posted by Harley Smith on 08-14-2013 07:38 PM:

If you saw it on the Internet after you googled it, it must be true. Lol

pr' Dixie's Heaven on Earth
(Turpins Insane Cain X Jacksons Magic Dixie) (walker)

Posted by Dale Young on 08-14-2013 08:44 PM:

We've been GOOGLED.

Posted by Paul Frederick on 08-14-2013 09:12 PM:

I'd say it depends on what kind of terrain and living they've got wherever you drop them out at. if life is good I doubt they'd waste too much time trying to get home.

Also I'm sure they'd be more apt to try to head home if they have young kittens.

Plus, a coon is a fairly intelligent creature. I'd say if you catch one in a live trap and scare it half to death it's less likely to go back in one. Maybe they are coming back but they aren't getting caught again? I doubt they are that smart, but I guess they could be.

Posted by Larry Atherton on 08-14-2013 09:48 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Paul Frederick
I'd say it depends on what kind of terrain and living they've got wherever you drop them out at. if life is good I doubt they'd waste too much time trying to get home.

Also I'm sure they'd be more apt to try to head home if they have young kittens.

Plus, a coon is a fairly intelligent creature. I'd say if you catch one in a live trap and scare it half to death it's less likely to go back in one. Maybe they are coming back but they aren't getting caught again? I doubt they are that smart, but I guess they could be.

Yes, Paul coons become trap shy, but so do most house cats if they are not crate raised. In fact, many of the ADC jobs I have had in the past were animals that several others failed to catch.

Just how smart are coons? When I was about 13, coons were tearing my grandparents garbage up. So i set a live trap. Several nights the traps was set off and the bait missing with no raccoon. I asked grandpa if we could could set up and see what was going on. To my surprise, he agreed.

I would have never guessed what was happening. There were 4 large coons. They came running to the trap. It was an actual foot race. The first coon ran inside the trap and the door came. It then sat down and ate all the bait. then it turned around and started pushing on the door. the other 3 outside the trap also started pushing on the door. They managed to open the trap and allow the coon inside to get out.

Aim small miss small