UKC Forums
Show all 12 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- Question (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928504669)

Posted by Todd_Miller on 05-23-2018 05:23 PM:

Question

Dog A strikes 20" in the minute, trails 50 yrads shuts up, non hunting judge. Dog A when heard again is trailing straight towards cast, estimate of 150 yards out.
Would you minus dog?

Posted by JiM on 05-23-2018 05:37 PM:

I don't think it is possible to answer a babbling question without being there.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Posted by Todd_Miller on 05-23-2018 05:41 PM:

It was a tough call I thought, I let it go because I felt she was working same track.

Posted by pamjohnson on 05-23-2018 05:49 PM:

depends on weather the non hunting judge is a reasonable judge or a know it all?
this ? is loaded. basically it sounds like someone trying to fudge the rules to get somebodies dog for babbling. the minute and non hunting judge or even at how many seconds or minutes past before the strike was made isn't justification to minus for babbling.

so until i have a better nose than a dog the answer is NO

Posted by Josh Michaelis on 05-23-2018 06:06 PM:

So the dog only moved 100 yards?

Posted by Todd_Miller on 05-23-2018 07:19 PM:

She may have moved further than that, but I only heard her in the same area that she struck from. I never heard her open more than 150 yards away.

Posted by joey on 05-23-2018 08:22 PM:

Thats one you have to be there. Being a judge isn't just about knowing the rules. A good one knows dogs too. They know if a dog is babbling or not. If its borderline and you really cant tell then the dog gets a pass.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Posted by ov_blues on 05-23-2018 10:31 PM:

The minute rule doesn't have anything to do with the babbling rule, other than the grace period of not having to declare the dog struck. So if the dog was struck in within the minute, or if it is after the minute, the question is still the same which is was the dog babbling or not? A dog can be minused for babbling at any point in the hunt when it is struck and the judge determines that the dog is babbling.

Posted by JiM on 05-23-2018 10:39 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by ov_blues
The minute rule doesn't have anything to do with the babbling rule, other than the grace period of not having to declare the dog struck. So if the dog was struck in within the minute, or if it is after the minute, the question is still the same which is was the dog babbling or not? A dog can be minused for babbling at any point in the hunt when it is struck and the judge determines that the dog is babbling.

There yah go. Good answer

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Posted by Rip on 05-24-2018 02:33 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by ov_blues

quote:
Originally posted by JiM
There yah go. Good answer

I second that, good answer but I bet people won't understand how a dog can be minused for babbling at any time LOL.

Posted by Todd_Miller on 05-24-2018 03:45 PM:

Thanks for the input everyone. As the judge she got a pass. Hunted with her on the early round and she was a quick strike dog for sure.

Posted by ov_blues on 05-24-2018 04:21 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Rip
I second that, good answer but I bet people won't understand how a dog can be minused for babbling at any time LOL.

Let's say a dog checked back in with the cast, another dog opened and the dog that came back to the cast took off barking going toward the dog opening. The dog that came back is babbling and should be minused for babbling.

I believe too many people are trying to apply a PKC rule on the minute and babbling in UKC. I had a judge one night who hunts a lot more PKC than UKC. We turned loose around the edge of a cornfield. My gyp struck about 45 seconds into the minute on the back side of the corn field, I struck her and then she shut up. He started talking about if she didn't open again in that spot and take the track out of there he was going to minus her for babbling. She started opening again a short distance from where she was struck so I didn't have to question anything or have the babbling rule discussion with him because it was a mute point when she opened again, but I knew if he had minused her and the cast didn't overrule him that I would have had the right to question it and bring it back to the club and on up the ladder if it would have changed the outcome of the cast or the hunt in any way. He was definitely mixing the rules between two kennel clubs.