UKC Forums
Show all 11 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- Top Producing Male/Female Lists (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=454018)

Posted by Richard Lambert on 10-04-2011 04:24 PM:

Top Producing Male/Female Lists

Why does a male have to have 100 pups produced to qualify? Why does a female have to have 20 pups to qualify? Is the male that has 10 titled dogs out 50 pups produced not a top producer? What about the female that has 6 titled dogs out of 15 pups? Also why don't they use the # of permantly titled pups? If a pup isn't permantly registered then he/she died or was lost and shouldn't count toward percentages, should he/she?

Posted by Virgil on 10-04-2011 04:34 PM:

100 and 20 are good numbers for the walker breed. For the other breeds I think the numbers need to be lowered. 40 or 50 for studs and 10 or 15 for females.

It's almost embarassing for some of the top 10 studs in the offbreeds to be advertised when they only have 1 or 2 titled dogs out of 100.

Posted by Robert Johnson on 10-04-2011 05:24 PM:

the bar had to be set somewhere

Johnson Creek Kennels
home of:
UKC Grand Nite Champion "PR" Yadkin River Addkis. Deceased 12/11/2016 RIP

2009/2010/2011/2012 AKC GA. State Leader and Supreme Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

2010 ACHA Georgia State Champion Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

PKC Champion Yadkin River Addkis

Bright Eye Lights

Treeing Walkers

912-663-5287 cell (perfered)

Posted by John D on 10-04-2011 06:43 PM:

Yes, the bar had to be set somewhere.

The biggest reason for not lowering it is that with a larger sample size you will get more reliable results.

Somebody somewhere has a male dog with 5 total pups and he titled all them off a feeder bucket down a mowed path behind his local club house. He's at 100% but he is NOT a top reproducer. This is an extreme example but shows the other end of the argument.

IMO its better to use litter registered pups than permanently registered pups. Otherwise you will have people starting pups and only permanently registering them when they get a 1st place win. That will slant the data.

If its hard to get to 100 pups now it will be even harder to get there if you only count perm. registered pups.

I believe if you want to see a customized TRL, UKC provides that capability, as a service.

Click here to visit The B&T Coonhunters Message Forum for news, views, open discussion, ads, and event winners in the B&T Breed (Registration, with your full name, required)

Click here to see my Dog List

Posted by Virgil on 10-04-2011 07:14 PM:

To counter your argument John do you know how many redbones or plotts have 100 pups on the ground. From time to time you will see dogs on those reproducers list whose only qualification is that they have 100 pups even though they only have 1 NTCH. There are other dogs out there with 30 or 40 pups who have several NTCH. 1 out of 100 is not worth the recognition of being listed alongside dogs who are real "reproducers"

100 pups is no sweat for a walker stud but for some of the smaller breeds it takes many years to reach 100 which is why I think for those breeds the numbers should be lower.

Posted by Richard Lambert on 10-04-2011 07:22 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Robert Johnson
the bar had to be set somewhere

Why not at 50 for males? Doesn't a dog have to be permanantly registered before it can be put in a night hunt? I realize that some pups would not get permanantly registered, but I don't think that it would be enough to be significant. I mean, how many pups could a breeder afford to keep and not permanantly register? Since the top Walker dogs all have so many pups on the ground, I don't think that the difference between 50-100 would make that much difference to them.

Posted by jodaviess1 on 10-04-2011 07:24 PM:

THE REPRODUCERS LIST

THAT OLE LIST DON'T MEAN A THING ANYWAY, JUST ASK THOSE THAT AIN'T ON IT. <v>

Posted by Okie Dawg on 10-04-2011 07:25 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Virgil
To counter your argument John do you know how many redbones or plotts have 100 pups on the ground. From time to time you will see dogs on those reproducers list whose only qualification is that they have 100 pups even though they only have 1 NTCH. There are other dogs out there with 30 or 40 pups who have several NTCH. 1 out of 100 is not worth the recognition of being listed alongside dogs who are real "reproducers"

100 pups is no sweat for a walker stud but for some of the smaller breeds it takes many years to reach 100 which is why I think for those breeds the numbers should be lower.

The number of pups should reflect the number of bitchs avalable but then you have to stop and think if there are less bitches in the off breed there are fewer studs to take them to allso. Seams like a catch twenty two.

Tonkawa Okla. 74653
580-628-0507
CH 'PR' Grady's Dark Woods Waylon -Bluetic

NITECH 'PR' Grady's Insane Tinker Bell (Tink) - Treeing walker --Okla. State Hunt open redg. winner

'PR' Grady's Barley - Treeing Walker

Posted by jodaviess1 on 10-11-2011 10:21 PM:

DOGS PERMENATLY REGISTERED

I WOULD THINK THAT THE PERMENATLY REGISTERED DOGS IS THE NUMBER THEY'D GO BY AS THEY HAVE TO BE PERMENATLY REGISTERED TO OBTAIN A TITLE AND THAT IS WHAT THEY GO BY FOR PERCENTAGE. IF THE DOG HAS TO WAIT TO HAVE 100 PERMENTLY REGISTERED PUPS, THEN SO BE IT. <v>

Posted by ole bo on 10-11-2011 10:55 PM:

who is the top producing male dog right now.

ole bo

Posted by GRAVEDIGGER on 10-15-2011 04:01 AM:

Is kinda sad that the off breeds can't fill up the top 10 for current reproducers. I wonder if a Leopard will ever make the list for the Males. I bet there's only one or two in the country that have or are close to 100 pups (Johnny Reb & Wick's Camo Jug) and I doubt there will be any others ever get close. I guess it's a good thing they have a Performance Points list or there may never be a Leopard listed for reproducing ability in CB mag.

2005 Plott Days Champion, 2 time Isiaiah Kidd Award Winner
GrNtCh Millenium Magic Doc's Heyzuess
2013 Ntl GrNtCh Plott Breed Winner