UKC Forums
Show all 22 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- Tracking old vs new methods (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928515560)

Posted by Night cry on 02-15-2019 07:30 AM:

Tracking old vs new methods

Who still uses the old ones ??
Which is better ??
Good and bad of both

Garmin vs wildlife beep beep systems

FUELED BY SHOWTIME DOG FOOD !!!

Posted by Dogwhisper on 02-15-2019 11:13 AM:

That's like asking which phone is better .. old rotary landline or
tadays smartphones . It's a no brainer ....
But I'm sure beep beep is still used.

Posted by Bruce m. Conkey on 02-15-2019 12:12 PM:

Last night I was a spectator on a comp hunt. I stayed at the truck and had one hour of some exciting dog work. Didn't have a Garmin and relayed on my ears and mind to figure out was going on. It was enjoyable but sure not as accurate as if the Garmin had been in my hand. The GPS Dog Trackers allow you to see exactly what the dogs are doing. You see their mistakes so you know what you might need to work on with them. To most it brings a totally new perspective to their hunting. Gives you a new understanding of distances as you know exactly what they are. Allows you to navigate the woods in an easier manner which is important to my old legs.

Would like to make a comparison many might understand. Many have seen Carpenters work and cut wood with a skill saw. Now in the old days those carpenters used a hand saw and then the skill saws came out. WOW what a difference. Some have seen this but add in a Carpenter that really knows how to use his skill saw and is a finished carpenter. They can work magic with that saw. Thats the issue with the GPS Trackers. Many use it for the basics but haven't learned the magic of whet the have in their hand.

Posted by C Zink on 02-15-2019 02:49 PM:

I run a beep beep collar along with the garmin. I have had a couple situations where the garmin lost signal due to broken antenna wires . Another time it lost signal and never picked the collar back up until I turned collar off and back on again . I run the beep beep just for extra assurance that I can find my dog .

Home of
Gr Nite Ch Pkc Ch Tar Scream'n Sky
Nt Ch Pkc Silver Ch Trips Hardcore Sissy
Tar Scream’n Hoss
Trips Cash

Posted by RedSealKennels on 02-15-2019 03:16 PM:

I use the old style. I had a garmin but it just takes something away from the hunt for me. With the old style I have to listen to the dogs and really know my dog to be able and tell what he is doing. With the garmin I found myself just watching the screen and not listening with as much detail to the dogs voice. When I did have a garmin it seemed to need calibrated every time I went hunting and if I forgot to do that then it was useless anyways. The tracking collar is just for rare occasions now when I can't find a dog it's not used to keep track of them throughout the hunt. I've got a Marshall telemetry tracking unit now and the collars take AA batteries and last forever I dont have to recharge the collars every night.

Posted by Larry Atherton on 02-15-2019 04:18 PM:

I love my Alpha! My hunts are so much more enjoyable. In the past if I thought the dogs were headed towards a road or private property, i was a bundle of nerves. Seriously, I was about as jumpy as a long tail cat in a room full of rockers.

Aim small miss small

Posted by ItsOlMander on 02-15-2019 05:48 PM:

there are areas that i will not turn loose without a telemetry (quick track) collar along with my GPS (garmin) collar. when i still had my deer dogs- i had a deer dog that refused to be caught for 11 days and no gps collar will last that long. if i didn't have the quick track on him i would have never gotten him back. he was a jam up trail dog- just had a few screws loose in his head lol.

i think as a few said the garmins (or any GPS unit) take away any guessing as to whats going on. depending on the immediate circumstances will determine whether that's a good thing or a bad thing.

i do think people get into the habit of staring at the screen rather than listening to what the dogs doing though. i know when i only had the quick track i was much slower to pull out my machine, id sit and listen longer. now, its just a quick look at the gps. i admit i am guilty of this but this can be both a good thing and a bad thing, all depending on the circumstances of whats going on.

- In Loving Memory of -
DEEP SPRINGS BLACK MAX
&
LEVIS SOUTHERN BLUE DOC

Posted by DMW on 02-15-2019 06:34 PM:

I love the Garmin that's for sure.. however I am glad I'm old enough to know how it was to use the beep beep and a compass. It does take experience and a little skill to hunt like that and I had some great times doing it!!

...."Wilkes' Zoom".... (Straight off Dohoney's Tom Horn)
...."Wilkes' Brooke".... (Sackett Jr., Slow Talking Buzz bred)
morganwilkes1.wixsite.com/wilkeswalkers

Posted by Preacher Tom on 02-15-2019 06:50 PM:

There are a few of us old enough to remember when the only tracking equipment was our ears, no beep beeps nothing. It made a hard going dog really hard to hunt. I use the Alpha now and love it. I just won't turn loose without it. Also at my age being able to recall my dog with a tone is great.

Posted by 2ol2hunt on 02-15-2019 07:20 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Preacher Tom
There are a few of us old enough to remember when the only tracking equipment was our ears, no beep beeps nothing. It made a hard going dog really hard to hunt. I use the Alpha now and love it. I just won't turn loose without it. Also at my age being able to recall my dog with a tone is great.

Amen to that!! Lost a lot of sleep and spent alot money on gas back in the day!

Posted by shadinc on 02-15-2019 07:55 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by 2ol2hunt
Amen to that!! Lost a lot of sleep and spent alot money on gas back in the day!
And lost a few dogs also.

Posted by Night cry on 02-15-2019 10:23 PM:

Red Sea kennels

I agree with your thoughts and opinions !! I had a great deal of fun hunting dogs with a gps and it sure was a lot easier but I’ve found that it took a lot of the excitement out of the hunt and now that I went to a beep beep system I enjoy my nights out running !! And enjoy the lil things about a dog I didn’t notice before I may not see all there mistakes and maybe that’s why I’m happier lol but I will say I have enjoyed hunting much more and alot more relaxing and brought back some fun again since I went back in time when it comes to technology

FUELED BY SHOWTIME DOG FOOD !!!

Posted by Blaze P. on 02-15-2019 10:27 PM:

Just run a GPS collar and don't set there and watch the handheld, I rarely turn my handheld on.

Posted by Preacher Tom on 02-15-2019 11:35 PM:

Re: Red Sea kennels

quote:
Originally posted by Night cry
I agree with your thoughts and opinions !! I had a great deal of fun hunting dogs with a gps and it sure was a lot easier but I’ve found that it took a lot of the excitement out of the hunt and now that I went to a beep beep system I enjoy my nights out running !! And enjoy the lil things about a dog I didn’t notice before I may not see all there mistakes and maybe that’s why I’m happier lol but I will say I have enjoyed hunting much more and alot more relaxing and brought back some fun again since I went back in time when it comes to technology

I do agree that you can see all the mistakes your dog makes on GPS and that can make a good dog not look so good to you. Sometimes I just don't look at the screen. Funny seems like the dog does better, lol.

Posted by dbender on 02-16-2019 12:31 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by Blaze P.
Just run a GPS collar and don't set there and watch the handheld, I rarely turn my handheld on.

Common sense is required for this technique to be successful!

Posted by Reuben on 02-16-2019 12:48 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by C Zink
I run a beep beep collar along with the garmin. I have had a couple situations where the garmin lost signal due to broken antenna wires . Another time it lost signal and never picked the collar back up until I turned collar off and back on again . I run the beep beep just for extra assurance that I can find my dog .

X2...I don’t trust the Garmin alpha to be 100 percent reliable...because it hasn’t been.

Posted by shadinc on 02-16-2019 05:17 PM:

My biggest complaint with the Alpha is it doesn't stay calibrated. A $2.00 compass always knows where north is. Why doesn't a $600 Garmin?

Posted by Jim Stinnett on 02-16-2019 08:06 PM:

You cant even put the old beep beep collars in the same category with the new garmins.

The garmins are super nice!

We had an F&L unit back in the day & then a quick track.

Coon Hounds
Lake Village, IN
Cell: 219-712-4281
Email:jstinnett@upgen.us

*******HOME OF**********

PCH.GRCH. BRIAR BUSTEN SKEETER - BEAGLE
PCH. GRCH. BRIAR BUSTEN TRIXIE - BEAGLE
STYLISH BO - TREEING WALKER
CH.S&S BLUE BONNIE - BLUETICK
SPORTMIX DOG FOOD FED & RECOMMENED

Posted by gpent24 on 02-16-2019 08:16 PM:

There really isn't any comparison to the old system to the new system. I can tell you I would rarely go to the woods unless i could put my dogtra on mine and see where and what she was doing. These new gps machines have saved alot of dogs lives.

Posted by Jd6400 on 02-16-2019 09:02 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Preacher Tom

And to extend our ears used a extended funnel.A piece of baling twine was used as a sling for it.A seven cell Texan was on a sling also to spot and a 2 cell was used for walking......Bill Boatman came out with the Coonbeam and we was,in heaven...lol

Posted by rrekab on 02-17-2019 02:17 AM:

I grew up on a Lantern, Flashlight for shining the coon which was a 5 double D flash light and whoever else went got a 2 double D flash light. I love the new lights and especially the Garmin. I would have quit hunting without this technology. Times have changed and this tech has kept us active. Now, for me--- we all end up trespassing occasionally, forty years ago not that big of a deal. Thank you Garmin and thank you all for the nice lights. My Grandpa and Great Uncle are probably is just shaking there heads. Plus, generally speaking we have more coon. PS: I always grew tired of Grandpa telling me he used to find coon with the lantern by standing back a ways from the tree. Great man but cmon!

Posted by Preacher Tom on 02-17-2019 03:43 AM:

The Garmin allows me to hunt areas I could not hunt without it. I know where the dogs are and if necessary I can tone them in and stay out of trouble.