UKC Forums
Show all 9 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- Age To Start (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928522363)

Posted by Richard Lambert on 09-17-2019 03:36 PM:

Age To Start

How old should a pup be before you start knocking squirrels out to them? This pup is 6 weeks old. Is that too early? Should I wait until they are weaned?

Posted by BLAKE WHEELER on 09-17-2019 04:42 PM:

For dogs of that color I would start with possum drags, that generally gets them real excited

Posted by CHEWBACH on 09-17-2019 05:20 PM:

hmmm that color about 4 yrs old. that's what tar said. lol

Posted by Reuben on 09-17-2019 05:28 PM:

Good looking pups...

Posted by tln70 on 09-19-2019 09:04 PM:

Boy I sure hate to tell you this, but looks like you waited to late on these pups. If they are not treeing before their eyes open, then it's too late. Lol
Nice looking pups

Posted by Richard Lambert on 09-21-2019 02:23 AM:

What does their color have to do with it? How old are y'all's spotted pups before you start knocking anything out to them?

Posted by Dave Richards on 09-21-2019 02:45 AM:

Mr. Lambert

Personally, I have seen spotted dogs as you call them, running and treeing their own coons by 9 months old. Now that was in Janurary not the summer and they could hunt far enough to strike wild coons, not off feeders, run and tree and have the meat. I am sure some will say younger than that, but in these mountains, I think that was the youngest I have seen do so consistently. How about you and those red dogs, how old before they can and do tree their own wild coons consistently? Dave

Posted by Richard Lambert on 09-21-2019 03:41 AM:

Mr Richards, what does that have to do with how long should I wait to start knocking squirrels out to these pups?

Posted by Dave Richards on 09-21-2019 04:50 AM:

Mr. Lambert

When they start treeing them by themselves, to borrow a phrase from another forum member ( Rocky Tanner ) "if a puppy can pull a train, hook them up to it". Hope that answers your question better. Squirrel might be a better option for you, I was talking coon dogs, I am getting old and forgot you were talking about Redbone pups. Lol. Dave