UKC Forums
Show all 13 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- Favorite time of year to hunt (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928524297)

Posted by wildcat3 on 11-17-2019 10:13 AM:

Favorite time of year to hunt

Whats your favorite time of year to hunt? I enjoy lake December and January here in North Carolina. The leaves are gone, the deer hunters have gone home and the snakes are in tje ground. Coons are usually stiring good unleas we get a big cold front.

Posted by Dave Richards on 11-17-2019 10:40 AM:

Wildcat3

Late November, December and Jan. for the same reasons you stated. Dave

Posted by RC-Abby on 11-17-2019 01:32 PM:

Favorite time.

After a good killing frost/freeze. Usually mid October though March. No bugs no leaves on trees or under brush. Can hear the dogs better when they open. And they get more accurate. More fun to look at eyes than leaves.

Randi

Posted by Cory Highfill on 11-17-2019 01:40 PM:

Right now.
I've been out of a dog for awhile but this time of year is when I get the itch worse than any other. Hardwood mast coming off, leaves are mostly gone, snakes and ticks aren't an issue. Weather is pleasant for a man to stretch out through the country, and the time change allows a working guy to hunt a few hours and still get a little sleep.

My second favorite is that first halfway warm snap in the spring, when the frogs sing like crazy in every low wet spot, and you finally get to leave your heavy jacket at home.

Posted by yadkintar on 11-17-2019 01:47 PM:

I used to want to stay out all night this time of year. Now go tree a couple back to the house a warm shower and a snack and a warm bed works for me.

Tar

Posted by Dave Richards on 11-17-2019 05:19 PM:

Tar

Dang that sure sounds a lot like me, 2 to 3 hour hunt, warm shower, snack and bed. You think that might be the reason why you and I are getting fatter. Lol. Dave

Posted by Sonny Phipps on 11-18-2019 01:36 PM:

I like March and April here in Ohio. The coons move a lot because they have used all the stores fat, the food sources are hard to find so they are covering ground and the leaves are all off. November and December still have a lot of deer ticks in the nymph stage in our area and the coons are fat and a bit more fickle as to how they feed. With all that said , I still like to go when ever possible

Posted by Corey Gruver on 11-18-2019 01:45 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Sonny Phipps
I like March and April here in Ohio. The coons move a lot because they have used all the stores fat, the food sources are hard to find so they are covering ground and the leaves are all off. November and December still have a lot of deer ticks in the nymph stage in our area and the coons are fat and a bit more fickle as to how they feed. With all that said , I still like to go when ever possible

I agree! Spring time is the best time

Posted by yadkintar on 11-18-2019 02:26 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Corey Gruver
I agree! Spring time is the best time

I would enjoy hunting more if that Corey Gruver kid would come take me to braums and buy me that root beer float he owes me lol.

Tar

Posted by Corey Gruver on 11-18-2019 02:29 PM:

Tar

I think you've been drinking too many of those "hard" root beers

Posted by shadinc on 11-18-2019 02:30 PM:

When there are no leaves on the trees and no snakes on the ground.

Posted by Bruce m. Conkey on 11-18-2019 02:36 PM:

For us down in North FL. The best time is now until it gets hot in the summer. The bug population is decreasing, the snakes are getting slower, the leaves are getting thinner along with the under brush. The Humidity is down which a big plus and the temperatures are about perfect till about march or april. Only a couple things to dodge until now and summer. The spring Turkey hunters a few days in the spring time and those nights, maybe one or two when the temperature might get close to 30*. Other than that. All excuses have been removed from my long list.

Posted by Nathan Phenix on 11-18-2019 04:05 PM:

I like this time year because nothing prettier on cold clear night than hearing big tenner bawl mouth ringing threw hills and hollers. But also like spring when it's just warm enough the coon are hitting the creeks and ponds. Tree lots coons in spring time.

Bayou Creek Black and Tan’s

Nathan Phenix
417-255-5697