UKC Forums
Show all 16 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- black in the roof of the mouth? (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=288601)

Posted by POTOMAC on 07-21-2009 01:33 AM:

black in the roof of the mouth?

how many people follow this when looking for a pup and what kind of success have they had? who has seeen a coondog with no black in there mouth? be nice

Posted by POTOMAC on 07-21-2009 01:25 PM:

no opinions?

Posted by perry co cooner on 07-21-2009 02:30 PM:

I was always told that a dog with a black mouth roof is a good hunter but also told it's just from being pure bred. I never paid attention either way

Posted by Gary Roberson on 07-21-2009 02:56 PM:

Black roof of mouth

Okay, you got me. Yes, I do pick pups that have the black roof in their mouths. May be B.S. but why take the risk? Back in the days when I was raising and hunting walkers, I watched for this trait a little more. Now that I have gone blue, it is rare to see a bluetick that does not have this quality.
Adios,
Gary

Posted by larry ross on 07-28-2009 07:14 AM:

A COON DOG IS ACOONDOG IT DOES NOT MATTER WHAT THE COLOR OF THE ROOF OF HIS MOUTH GABE AND NICKS ARE NOT BLACK .SADIES IS I DONT REALLY KNOW ABOUT THE REST I HAVE SEEN MANY WITH A BLACK ROOF THAT WERE NOT WORTH FEEDING.

NT.CH.PKC CH.CRAZY DAISY
CH. GR.NT.CH. PKC CH. HARDWOOD CRAZY GABE (AT STUD)
GRCH. NTCH JAMMIN CHAMP
NT.CH HARDWOOD CRAZY KALIGA 2ND PLACE WIN AND 9TH AT 2011 WALKER DAYS. 8TH 2012 SETWA MEMORIAL HUNT 10TH 2012 WALKER DAYS 1ST SHOALS RQE 2013
GR.NT.CH. JONES CRAZY COACH
NT.CH. CRAZY TRAIN (AT STUD)
CRAZY OLE BLACK BETTY 2ND &6TH&1ST PLACE WIN
CH.GRNT. SAILES SUGAR CREEK CASSY AGAIN- ALL GRAND
NTCH.SWAMPHOLLOW TIC
RIP GR.NT.CH. PKC CH HARDWOOD CRAZY NICK

Posted by l.lyle on 07-28-2009 08:36 AM:

Black roof mouth

I have checked it all my life and to be honest, I never had one that did't have a black roof worth a dime. But then again 90% of pups had black roofs. Also, if you got a pup that won't come, pee in his food. And if he wont eat it, Pee in it again tomorrow. And keep on till he will eat it. I might have tried that too. Eventually he will eat, but he still might not come. Another one I like is, if a dog won't stay treed, find a beetle exoskelton on the side of a tree, crunch it up and put it in his feed and he will stay hooked. I love all that stuff. That's what makes coonhuntin coonhunting.

Posted by truebluefordman on 07-28-2009 11:09 AM:

l lyle. i have done the pee thing and it works every time.. no it wont magicly make one come but it will take the shyness right out of them. makes you alfa dog.. the black roof is a must.. it is an old tale that i have lived by.. solid black or pass it up. never saw one make a great dog with out it..

boy's i tell ya how it is. i'am not here to bs you. i'am here to hunt dogs and get you the most for your money.my door is open for anyone to come hunt, spend the night or the weekend i hunt hard and it shows in my dogs 317-494-1098 danny suttles

Posted by jbpriest on 07-28-2009 11:23 AM:

Re: Black roof mouth

quote:
Originally posted by l.lyle
I have checked it all my life and to be honest, I never had one that did't have a black roof worth a dime. But then again 90% of pups had black roofs. Also, if you got a pup that won't come, pee in his food. And if he wont eat it, Pee in it again tomorrow. And keep on till he will eat it. I might have tried that too. Eventually he will eat, but he still might not come. Another one I like is, if a dog won't stay treed, find a beetle exoskelton on the side of a tree, crunch it up and put it in his feed and he will stay hooked. I love all that stuff. That's what makes coonhuntin coonhunting.

How does urinating in a Dogs food help with obediance?

How does dringing up a beetle exoskeleton help?

Posted by l.lyle on 07-28-2009 03:47 PM:

beats me. Just passing on some tales.

Posted by Shannon Senter on 07-28-2009 06:33 PM:

Ha! Ive not heard the peeing in the food bowl theory, thats a good one. I can see me now taking a leak in the feed dish, looking around seeing if anyone is watching

What about the tree knot on the back of their head, anyone ever check for that? Or the mole under their chin, it should have 3 hairs growning out of it in order for him to make a coondog, or is it 2 hairs?

Home Of GrCh GrNtCh Uchtman's Foggy Mtn Blaze

Posted by blueticker on 07-28-2009 06:53 PM:

Picking a pup?

1. good teeth (bite)

2. Check for two testicles

3. dark eyes with a little bug eye tendency.

4. not shy

5. Color that I like since I'll be feeding the thing for a long time if it does make a top hound.

6. Good conformation and travels good

7. Rough hair, flag tail, #9 tail

8. hip distoscia you may be able to tell a bad case

9. dew claws on the back leg

10. pop bottle nose with bana heads

The Hounds I Enjoyed Hunting:
Dual Gr Natural Smokey River Rebel, A buddy of mine
Gr. Nt Natural Blue Echo ( Gr Nt Quail Ck Jimmy X Nt Ch Natural Blue Bell)
Gr Nt Smokey River Chief's Joe (JBS Chief X Gr Nt Jeans Ruby)
Gr. Nt. Ch. Natural Smokey River Lucy (Chief's Joe X Muggins)
And Many More

Posted by jbpriest on 07-28-2009 07:11 PM:

Do you check to see if they eat dog food you've pissed on?

Posted by l.lyle on 07-28-2009 07:20 PM:

black roof

Shannon, which way does the tree knot go? I thought the knot indicated a running hound and concave where the knot ought to be indicated a tree dog. Now I'm thinking I might have heard it backwards. That would explain a lot of my two year old culls,haha.

Posted by l.lyle on 07-28-2009 07:29 PM:

Blueticker, a lot of girl pups would have a hard time passing your test!!! or is that testese??

Posted by blueticker on 07-28-2009 08:29 PM:

If your hunting an ugly hound or a dumb one it's obvious you don't care what a pup looks like or if they do eat feed after you pee on it.

I just put down a few points to look for when picking a pup. Why not eliminate a few bad characteristics when you can.

Those girl pups with both in tack will have a tough time having pups.

At weaning age, the other method of selecting a pup is close both eyes and pick one up. You will have the same percentage that make top coonhounds if given the same opportunity.

The Hounds I Enjoyed Hunting:
Dual Gr Natural Smokey River Rebel, A buddy of mine
Gr. Nt Natural Blue Echo ( Gr Nt Quail Ck Jimmy X Nt Ch Natural Blue Bell)
Gr Nt Smokey River Chief's Joe (JBS Chief X Gr Nt Jeans Ruby)
Gr. Nt. Ch. Natural Smokey River Lucy (Chief's Joe X Muggins)
And Many More

Posted by WVA_bluhunter on 07-29-2009 11:28 PM:

old timers tell me that if you pick a pup up by its ears and it dont yelp it will be a good one but i dont take no stock in it

GRNiteCH 'PR'Brownings Blu Dixie Dynomite
Pr'Nite CH Brownings Blu Judy...... Legend X Star qualified for 2017 Zones 4th place RQE and 2018 zones 1st place RQE