UKC Forums
Show all 14 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- Probiotics (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928345489)

Posted by Redneck Mafia on 11-01-2013 08:04 AM:

Probiotics

We've had a sick hound this week & he's been on some pretty strong antibiotics...our vet reminded me to give him probiotics . When your fighting any kind of bacteria that requires antibiotics it is killing off the good & the bad . Probiotics help to re-establish the good bacteria in the intestional track. Probiotics are found in yogurt & in pill form in your local pharmacy or meds section in Wal-Mart & dollar stores. 1 pill a day & continue for awhile after antibiotic treatment. Also helps dogs (& humans) with digestion & bowel issues.
And for any of you that had been following my 8 mo old got a first thread ...Warrior is feeling much better I think were finally out of the woods. He's home eating & drinking thinking this house dog stuff is a pretty good life ....hopefully he dissides to be a coondog in a couple of weeks again. lol

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Posted by Redneck Mafia on 11-01-2013 03:17 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Doug Johnson
I believe I read on one of your posts that you feed Victor dog food.
I was told by the local distributor that Victor is one of the few feeds that have probiotics and prebiotics added.

Good to know that your young dog is feeling better.

Thank you I'm so glad he's better too , he gave us a big scare .And yes I feed & recommend Victor dog food & it has additives for digestive health it would be great if he would eat it right now -this one had barely eaten anything in almost a week right now it's chicken boiled & de-boned. And has been on antibiotics through his IV. He better not get any ideas that I'm cooking for him for the rest of his life lol.
I'm gonna start him on some feed w/ the chicken broth on it today . He's got some weight to put back on .
But if your dog is on antibiotics give it a probiotic to help dogs system maintain the good bacteria ,most people don't feed Victor & some that would like to don't have a store in their area that sells it but more & more are by demand.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Posted by jawscardodger on 11-02-2013 04:55 PM:

A good thing to give your dog when your give doxycycline for lyme.

Posted by sleepy head on 03-18-2016 02:46 PM:

I put a dog on probiotics a few days ago because of gut issues, does anyone feed it daily?

Posted by Rex Ridge on 03-18-2016 03:34 PM:

I noticed on the.dog.food bag that some have it added. R.pups.just had a bout of diarrhea. First the vet gave me a probiotic for them. I told him.I was giving them one I .take . He told me.that I needed to give them one made for dogs. $30 later I had something from Purina, I can't remember what it is but.it starts witb F Forta Flora or something like that. We're on the rd taking.a couple of pups to.new homes. I can look tonight to let u.know for sure whag it is. We ended up.having pups.on an antibiotic, too, so.they get the.probiotic while they. were on antibiotic.t

Posted by sleepy head on 03-18-2016 05:18 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Rex Ridge
I noticed on the.dog.food bag that some have it added. R.pups.just had a bout of diarrhea. First the vet gave me a probiotic for them. I told him.I was giving them one I .take . He told me.that I needed to give them one made for dogs. $30 later I had something from Purina, I can't remember what it is but.it starts witb F Forta Flora or something like that. We're on the rd taking.a couple of pups to.new homes. I can look tonight to let u.know for sure whag it is. We ended up.having pups.on an antibiotic, too, so.they get the.probiotic while they. were on antibiotic.t

I'm giving purina fortiflora, I was wondering if anyone gives it just to maintain a healthy gut or is it even a good idea

Posted by ahallada on 03-19-2016 06:24 AM:

Antibiotics that can disrupt the normal flora of the GI tract have the ability to kill anaerobic bacteria. There aren't that many that we commonly use that do this. Clavamox, Amoxicillin, Clindamycin, Metronidazole are a few of the common ones used today that have the ability to kill anaerobes. Using a good Probiotic can definitely help with recovery in patients receiving these antibiotics or any patient recovering from an illness. The use of Probiotics on a regular basis is not going to harm your dog and in many ways is beneficial. Purina has received 5/5 star reviews on their Fortiflora product. Another one we have had excellent results with is Proviable DC.

Probiotics in the feed probably aren't doing a lot of good because the cooking process kills most of the bacteria if not all of them. I think it is a marketing gimmick myself. Many holistic formulas contain Probiotics as well as many holistic ingredients that have no research to back their claims. I think these companies have just extrapolated results in the human field and are pushing them in our pets now. Now if a nutrition company is applying these through a sprayer after the cooking process then it may have some merit.

Current:

PKC Ch. Gr.Nt.Ch. Cat Scratch Fever
(Gr.Nt.Ch. PKC Ch. Moonlight Aftershock x Gr.Nt.Ch. PKC Ch. Moonlight Outlaw Breanna)
2016 Finished to PKC Ch. in one week!

Dual Grand Champion CHKC Ch., PKC Gold Ch. All Grand Outlaw G-Man
(Gr.Nt.Ch.Glissens JJ Jr. x Gr.Nt.Ch. Outlaw Billy Jean)
4 Generations of All Grand Nite Champions!
Timber Jack 3X and Timber Chopper over 30X
2019 Southern National Redbone Days Champion
2016 National Grand Nite Champion Redbone
2016 CHKC Redbone Days Champion
2016 PKC Super Stakes Reserve Champion
2016 CHKC Elite Shootout Winner - Texas
CHKC All Time Money Winning Redbone

Bodacious
(Gr.Nt.Ch. Gr.Ch.PKC. Gold Ch.CHKC CH. Outlaw G-Man x Gr.Nt.Ch.Gr.Ch. CHKC Ch., PKC Gold Ch. Classy Cali)

Past:
Gr.Nt.Ch.Ch. Dawns Timber Jack
1988 American Redbone Days All Red Hunt Winner
1989 UKC World Champion Redbone
1989 Purina Outstanding Redbone Coonhound
#2 Historic Redbone Sire/ Top 20 All Breeds
American Redbone Coonhound Assoc. Hall of Fame

Gr.Nt.Ch. Bussrow Bottom Brandy II
1991 American Redbone Days Champion
1992 AKC World Champion Redbone
1992 ACHA World Champion Redbone
1992 Wisconsin State Champion
1994 US Redbone Days Opposite Sex
Produced 2 Nt. Ch. , 1 Gr.Nt.Ch. out of 2 litters and two Redbone Days Winners

Gr.Nt.Ch.Gr.Ch. PKC Gold Ch. Layton's Classy Cali
2012 UKC World Champion Redbone and 7th Place Overall
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 UKC World Champion Redbone Female
2015 PKC Blue Ribbon Pro Hunt Winner - Goodsprings, AL
2015 PKC Blue Ribbon Pro Series Race - 3rd Place Overall
2016 PKC Blue Ribbon Pro Hunt Winner - New Albany, MS
2016 PKC Texas State Race Winner
2016 PKC Redbone Breed Race Winner
PKC All Time Money Winning Redbone

PKC Ch. Gr.Nt.Ch. Coffman's Smokin Red Buck
2016 UKC World Hunt 5th Place and World Champion Redbone
2016 National Redbone Days Overall Winner

Gr.Nt.Ch. Reinhart's Central Page
(Gr.Nt.Ch. Timber Jack x Gr.Nt.Ch. Brandy II)

Gr.Nt.Ch. Too the Maxx
(Gr.Nt.Ch. Timber Jack x Gr.Nt.Ch. Jenkins Crying Katie)
1992 National Redbone Days Champion

Gr.Ch.Nt.Ch. Ambraw River Rock
(Gr.Nt.Ch. Timber Jack x Gr.Ch.Nt.Ch. Hersh's Huntin Red Kate)
1992 US Redbone Days Opposite Sex

Nt.Ch. Tree Bustin Annabelle
1986 American Redbone Days All Red Hunt Winner

Nt.Ch. Timber Mace
(Gr.Nt.Ch. Timber Jack X Nt.Ch. Tree Bustin Annabelle)
Mother of Gr.Nt.Ch. Babb's Hazel

Nt. Ch. Timber Shock
(Gr.Nt.Ch.Timber Jack x Gr.Nt.Ch. Outlaw Jessie)

Gr. Ch. Nt. Ch. Squaw Mountain Goldie
(Direct Daughter of Gr.Nt.Ch.Smokey Mountain Brandy)
1990 Autumn Oaks Best of Show Winner
1988 Indiana State Champion

Posted by EerieEyes on 03-19-2016 06:29 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by sleepy head
I put a dog on probiotics a few days ago because of gut issues, does anyone feed it daily?

I do it daily for my old dog after her GDV (bloat) surgery in November... for the life of me I don't know why, surgeon said it wouldn't be a bad idea lol

GRCH FCH CA CCH 'PR' Jebb's Bayou Rage
2010 & 2015 World Qualified

GRCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Liz

'PR' Midnight Brindle Bombshell

GRCH CCH 'PR' Skyplott Teddy Bearhug (May 2004 - March 2014)

Posted by Dogwhisper on 03-19-2016 07:57 AM:

"kefir" added to my dogs ration is what I use.

Posted by Rex Ridge on 03-20-2016 04:27 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by sleepy head
I'm giving purina fortiflora, I was wondering if anyone gives it just to maintain a healthy gut or is it even a good idea

Sorry about all the typos in my first post. It's hard to believe I worked in the clerical field for 20 yrs, but using a cellphone in a car isn't the best condition to be typing. Plus, I think I need new glasses. It is FortiFlora that I was giving our pups.

Posted by Fisher13 on 03-20-2016 04:08 PM:

Probitotics in a processed food is marketing and pure bs. Probitotics are live cultures very complex. Yogurts and cheeses for example have live cultures.

Most dogs have stronger gut health then most humans naturally. Due to there abilities to eat raw meats.

I have however been trying to pay more attention to my gut health. From what I understand it does everything from the ability to control anxiety to increasing your immune system.

Posted by Brandon White on 03-28-2016 11:36 AM:

This is how we at Victor Dog Food are supporting long term Digestive and Immune health in the dogs that we feed.

www.Nextlevelpetfood.com

Posted by Brandon White on 03-28-2016 11:39 AM:

www.Nextlevelpetfood.com

Posted by Brandon White on 03-28-2016 11:46 AM:

We also use Zinpro Performance Minerals from the Zinpro Corporation based out of Eden Prairie, MN

www.Nextlevelpetfood.com