UKC Forums
Show all 10 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- How to break a dog from running down the road (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928532992)

Posted by MorAnd on 09-22-2020 11:26 AM:

How to break a dog from running down the road

I have a young dog that struck a coon out the box recently. I drove down the road about 500 or 600 yards for where he struck it, walked in the woods about the normal 15 yards or so and cast. The dog wheeled back to the road to where it struck the coon out of the box and treed the coon right by the road. Since then, it has been making a habit of wheeling back to the road and hunting down the road instead of straight into the woods the direction I cast him. This can cause all kinds of problems, mostly getting hit on the road.

Any tips on correcting a dog for hunting off/running down the road?

Posted by Richard Lambert on 09-22-2020 02:10 PM:

That is what they make shock collars for. Don't walk him into the woods. Cut him from the road.

Posted by 2ol2hunt on 09-22-2020 04:15 PM:

X2 on the shock collar...... shouldn't take much if the dog has any intelligence at all.

Posted by MorAnd on 09-22-2020 04:38 PM:

Exactly how would you correct it with the shock collar …. Can you be more specific?

Posted by novicane65 on 09-22-2020 05:42 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by MorAnd
Exactly how would you correct it with the shock collar …. Can you be more specific?

Pressure/release
Apply pressure with the collar until the dog gets off the road and let off the button.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Posted by DMG_3 on 09-22-2020 06:39 PM:

Just turn him up the road if ya don’t want him going down the road 😃

Posted by Richard Lambert on 09-22-2020 06:54 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by DMG_3
Just turn him up the road if ya don’t want him going down the road 😃

Oh my goodness, that sounds like something that I would do.

Posted by ChrisS22 on 09-23-2020 02:29 PM:

My method is.... as long as they go straight across the road they are fine. If they get to the blacktop and they turn left or right they get stimulation until they get OFF the road. Usually it doesn't take em long to figure out running down the road HURTS.

Posted by MorAnd on 09-23-2020 04:13 PM:

Thanks for the recommended methods to correct this. I'm curious to hear others, especially if you've had this problem … curious to hear what did or did not work. Or, if you'd recommend definitely NOT doing something to correct it. I've got a real nice young dog and don't want to cause 2 problems trying to 1.

Posted by ChrisS22 on 09-23-2020 07:06 PM:

DO NOT use high intensity to begin with, start out low and gradually increase if necessary. Depending on how your dog reacts to an e-collar you could start out using vibration instead of e-stimuli. In my dog training, vibrate means GO, tone means COME. So I can break one from running the road just by using vibrate.