UKC Forums
Show all 16 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- Advice needed (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928531277)

Posted by Joe W. Smith on 07-14-2020 09:37 PM:

Advice needed

I got a 21 month old female that has been hunted about twenty nights in her life and had about five coons. She will hunt alone, good strike dog with a awesome mouth. She has treed three or four coons ahead or split from dogs. The problem is She will give a killer locate and bark anywhere from a few to a couple dozen barks on tree and then just hush and I will find her just looking straight up the tree like a statue?????? She is deadly accurate but what can I do other than not letting her get involved in the coon fight whenever I do give her the coon? Thanks

Posted by Joe W. Smith on 07-14-2020 09:40 PM:

On a lead coon , when she was younger, she treed every breath.

Posted by Dave Richards on 07-14-2020 10:31 PM:

Joe

Sounds like she got used to seeing the coon when treeing, go to the tree tie her at tree and walk off until she barks do not go back to the tree, wait her out as long as it takes. She will get the idea after a few of these sessions that if she don't bark you are not coming in to her. Make sure you tie her up so she can not leave the tree. If she barks good enough for you to return to tree, praise her up to reinforce this behavior. Dave

Posted by critter on 07-14-2020 10:43 PM:

Dave

Now that sounds like some good advice.

Posted by Black Ash Bawl on 07-14-2020 11:53 PM:

JUST THE OPPOSITE

wild willie says do just the opposite.. lead you dog away from the tree about 30 yards and just stand there and ignore the dog. Now hopefully the dog wants to get back to the tree and is barking wanting to get back to the tree. If she is let her go in to the tree and praise her for barking. If she is not barking when you are standing about 30 yards from the tree, leave the are and then release your hound to find another coon. You make it sound like her reward is the dead coon shot out of the tree , the reward should be you praising the hound letting her know she did right. Good hounds don't need that many coon shot out to them , leave some to run again. Wild Willie' Way is about trying to figure out how to put the want in the dog. What does it take so the dog wants to do it , not having to force a dog to do something. Many different ways to train a hound.

Posted by Dave Richards on 07-15-2020 12:09 AM:

Black Ash Bawl

Different strokes for different folks, my advice WORKS, maybe Willys does as well. Try it and see which method works for the dog in question, every dog is different. My method uses praise for the dog, nothing was said about shooting every coon. Dave

Posted by Joe W. Smith on 07-15-2020 04:40 AM:

Thank you gentlemen, I will give it a try.

Posted by Bill(Chew) on 07-15-2020 04:45 AM:

I had one years ago that would stop treeing before you got there, similar to yours. I walked about 50 yds. past him one night because I did not see him. I just stopped and stood still until he barked again and then I walked to the tree. He never stopped again until I got to the tree. You could give that a try.

Posted by ov_blues on 07-15-2020 05:08 AM:

I had one that way once. She would bark occasionally. I took her by herself and when she treed and I got close to her I just stopped and turned my light out. When she barked I would turn my light on and start toward her. When she shut up I stopped and turned my light off until she barked again and kept doing that until I got to the tree. Took some patience but she got the point and started treeing normally after a couple times of this. I also made over her good the cook out to her. A buddy of mine also had a silent tree dog that he got over it by pretty much doing the same thing. I didn’t have a Garmin back then but my buddy did so it is obviously easier to do with the Garmin.

Posted by pamjohnson on 07-15-2020 01:17 PM:

Re: JUST THE OPPOSITE

quote:
Originally posted by Black Ash Bawl
wild willie says do just the opposite.. lead you dog away from the tree about 30 yards and just stand there and ignore the dog. Now hopefully the dog wants to get back to the tree and is barking wanting to get back to the tree. If she is let her go in to the tree and praise her for barking. If she is not barking when you are standing about 30 yards from the tree, leave the are and then release your hound to find another coon. You make it sound like her reward is the dead coon shot out of the tree , the reward should be you praising the hound letting her know she did right. Good hounds don't need that many coon shot out to them , leave some to run again. Wild Willie' Way is about trying to figure out how to put the want in the dog. What does it take so the dog wants to do it , not having to force a dog to do something. Many different ways to train a hound.
seems to me wild Willie way would teach a dog your next issue of dog returning to a tree. I realize ya have to work on one issue at a time but I hate a dog returning to a tree even if I only walk 5 yards to recast.

Posted by 4play on 07-15-2020 04:56 PM:

Re: Re: JUST THE OPPOSITE

quote:
Originally posted by pamjohnson
seems to me wild Willie way would teach a dog your next issue of dog returning to a tree. I realize ya have to work on one issue at a time but I hate a dog returning to a tree even if I only walk 5 yards to recast.

X2

Nitech Stylish Clover Shark Jill - RIP 'Ole Girl
{Great White Shark x Brush Creek Patch}

Posted by houndsound on 07-15-2020 05:19 PM:

Re: Re: JUST THE OPPOSITE

quote:
Originally posted by pamjohnson

Really experienced houndsman told me something I had never thought of a couple years ago. When he is starting a young dog, he re-casts it right at the tree and he stays at the tree. He never walks off to recast them. He stays at the tree and if the young dog returns he corrects it.

Simple... but something I'd never thought of.

Posted by Reuben on 07-15-2020 05:42 PM:

Lots of good advice on here... I don’t own tree dogs but I know good advice when I hear/read it...😎

Houndsound, IMO you are right...its the simple and consistent things we do with our dogs that keep things working smoothly...but if we don’t do them we will be pulling our hair trying to figure out a big problem...little and simple matters

Posted by Joe W. Smith on 07-16-2020 03:32 PM:

Thanks for your great ideas. I will give it a try when work slows up.

Posted by Joe W. Smith on 07-16-2020 03:32 PM:

Thanks for your great ideas. I will give it a try when work slows up.

Posted by BluetickHound22 on 07-17-2020 04:51 AM:

I have a dog that was like that when he treed. He will tree with others but when alone he wouldn’t say much at the tree. Sometimes would whine around. This was right when he started treeing his own. Took a few nights but I just praised him and went on. He eventually started treeing a little better each time. Then I gave him a few coon and he pretty much fixed himself. Not much advice but just be patient