UKC Forums
Show all 5 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- Litter schedule (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928549949)

Posted by griff on 01-29-2023 11:19 PM:

Litter schedule

Is there a link for worming and vaccination of a litter of pups?
I have never bred a female but it is looking like my friend’s border collie/ blue heeler cross may have got to my young bluetick female before I got her put up. ☹️🙄

Posted by fogebotom on 01-30-2023 09:43 PM:

My general schedule is worming at 2-4-6 & 8 weeks, mom and pups.
I use Safeguard and sometimes alternate with Nemex. I do mom at 45 prewhelp then again 2 weeks later with safeguard.

Vaccinations-that's a big one. Neopar at 6 weeks. I do a series of 3, 3 weeks apart starting at 9 weeks. 5 way. I don't do lepto or corona as they are not common in our area but if I was sending a pup to an area heavy with both, then I would do that as a separate vaccination.

It's pointless to do a regular series starting at 6 weeks or even 8 weeks due to maternal immunity. Basically counter acts it.

Posted by griff on 01-31-2023 01:13 AM:

Thanks

Thanks for the info, I will save it.
Hoping I am wrong. But, I have a hard gainer that is now looking well fed and sleek, with maybe a little sagging at the teats. Unless something changed in her hormones I think I’m in for some pups.

Posted by John Fults on 02-03-2023 12:37 AM:

Re: Litter schedule

quote:
Originally posted by griff
Is there a link for worming and vaccination of a litter of pups?
I have never bred a female but it is looking like my friend’s border collie/ blue heeler cross may have got to my young bluetick female before I got her put up. ☹️🙄

Ask your vet for some strongid mixed with pyrantal, I use it on pups and works great!!

Posted by Reuben on 02-05-2023 12:35 PM:

Pyrantyl Pamoate is the active ingredient in a tube of strongid paste…it is the same as nemex except nemex is diluted down…

You can buy a bottle of nemex that will worm 100 lbs. of wt. or you can buy a tube of strongid paste that will worm 1,200 lbs. of wt. for the same price…

I been using strongid paste for many years on pups…it is very safe and exact amounts aren’t critical just make sure you give enough…like any wormer it needs to be alternated with other wormers now and then in making sure the worms don’t develop an immunity to any particular wormer…

A tube of strongid can be bought at any feed store…I buy mine at TSC…

Vaccination Schedule…I don’t follow protocol…
I give the 10 in 1 vaccine at 8 weeks and again at twelve weeks that will be it until it’s time for a rabies shot…