UKC Forums
Show all 25 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- The Wonder Pill (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928498203)

Posted by Bruce m. Conkey on 01-10-2018 11:32 PM:

The Wonder Pill

I found out today what Medical Doctors and Vets have in common.
Writing prescriptions for Doxycycline. I took the wife to the doctor today for her congestion and the Dr. said I didn't sound so good either. He put us both on Doxy. I told him I had some of Doxy in the door of my truck I give my dogs.
Thing is, I think the Dr was cheaper that the vet. I know his prescription for Doxy was. lol

Next thing is I will be on Thyroid medication. No Tar it is not genetic. lol

Posted by yadkintar on 01-10-2018 11:42 PM:

At this stage in the game if I thought it would help I would take thyroid pills all day long my feet are to far from my brain I stay on the ground more than I walk and it ain't a graceful fall either lol.

Tar

Posted by Roy Grant on 01-11-2018 01:20 AM:

Bruce, I can relate to the price difference dr. was half that of the vet.

Posted by AndyMiller on 01-11-2018 01:55 AM:

go to a feed mill and get fish mox thats the same stuff

Posted by Bruce m. Conkey on 01-11-2018 02:28 AM:

Actually Andy this morning before I visited the doctor, I was looking at one of my suppliers websites and was thinking about this. Then a question came to mind that in 68 years, I never thought about. I am fixing to buy some pills that you give to fish. I don't have a clue how you would give a pill to a fish. Any pill I would take would choke the fish I had to death. So I just took my wife and myself to the doctor.

Posted by deadeye ruck on 01-11-2018 04:27 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by AndyMiller
go to a feed mill and get fish mox thats the same stuff

FishMox is amoxicillin. I think you're talking about Fish Doxy lol. I just checked the price of "Fish Doxy". $150 for 100 (100mg) tablets. It sure has gone up since I last checked.

I have had some dogs that refuse to take a pill, especially if they are sick or convalescent. I have a large 25cc syringe. I will take the antibiotic capsule, separate it and empty the contents into the syringe along with something sweet (maple syrup and water works well) and squirt it down their throat. That way I know they got most of a full dose.

Simon Rucker
(540)-420-1787

GrNiteCh PKC CH 'PR' Candy's Stylish Swag 2014 VA State PKC top 10 and 2022/2023 Super Stakes Sire & 2022 UKC Performance Sire
GrNiteCh PKC CH 'PR' Late Night Backwater Piper
NiteCh PKC CH 'PR' Risky Ruby
'PR' Stylish Poison Neon Moon
'PR' Stylish Poison Pickles

Posted by Larry Atherton on 01-11-2018 05:50 PM:

Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey
Actually Andy this morning before I visited the doctor, I was looking at one of my suppliers websites and was thinking about this. Then a question came to mind that in 68 years, I never thought about. I am fixing to buy some pills that you give to fish. I don't have a clue how you would give a pill to a fish. Any pill I would take would choke the fish I had to death. So I just took my wife and myself to the doctor.

Bruce,

Probably stuff it in a worm.lol

Aim small miss small

Posted by Redneck Mafia on 01-11-2018 07:45 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by deadeye ruck
FishMox is amoxicillin. I think you're talking about Fish Doxy lol. I just checked the price of "Fish Doxy". $150 for 100 (100mg) tablets. It sure has gone up since I last checked.

I have had some dogs that refuse to take a pill, especially if they are sick or convalescent. I have a large 25cc syringe. I will take the antibiotic capsule, separate it and empty the contents into the syringe along with something sweet (maple syrup and water works well) and squirt it down their throat. That way I know they got most of a full dose.

If they refuse it you aren't doing it right!
Funny you posted this Bruce just last week my daughter was prescribed doxy for a sinus infection. The Dr first was gonna give her a z-pac but with her heart meds there is a drug interaction so she can't take it. I was surprised they gave her doxy instead of amoxicillin, it's way cheaper.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Posted by Bruce m. Conkey on 01-11-2018 09:09 PM:

Same here. Took them 15 minutes but they figured out with my Afib they better go with doxy.

Mine was for congestion from the flu or something.

Posted by CHEWBACH on 01-11-2018 10:58 PM:

Re: The Wonder Pill

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey
I found out today what Medical Doctors and Vets have in common.
Writing prescriptions for Doxycycline. I took the wife to the doctor today for her congestion and the Dr. said I didn't sound so good either. He put us both on Doxy. I told him I had some of Doxy in the door of my truck I give my dogs.
Thing is, I think the Dr was cheaper that the vet. I know his prescription for Doxy was. lol

Next thing is I will be on Thyroid medication. No Tar it is not genetic. lol

ooheck I seen !! the wonder pill !! I thout you were referring to Blue pill !! Yadkintar uses them !!! lol

Posted by yadkintar on 01-11-2018 11:15 PM:

Blue pills all they do is give me a mad dog 20/20 head ache I would rather go hunting.

Tar

Posted by JesseJ on 01-12-2018 12:19 AM:

BLUE PILL

TAR NAILED THIS ONE!!

Posted by Richard Lambert on 01-12-2018 12:31 AM:

What is Mad Dog 20/20?

Posted by jawscardodger on 01-12-2018 12:43 AM:

a fine wine

Posted by mem on 01-12-2018 01:05 AM:

Lol fine wine

Posted by Mark V. on 01-12-2018 01:55 AM:

Bruce if you have any refills make sure you get them them refilled

Posted by Bruce m. Conkey on 01-12-2018 02:13 AM:

Unfortunally they only gave me like 7 days wirth of pills.

Posted by Richard Lambert on 01-12-2018 02:38 AM:

You can get all you want through Canadian pharmacy. I keep a stock on hand. Doxy is an excellent broad spectrum antibiotic that just about anyone can take and has very few if any side effects. It can be given to humans or dogs. It will save a trip to the Dr or Vet. And the quicker you start, the sooner you can get over an infection without getting as sick. As Barney always said, " nip it in the bud".

Posted by Bruce m. Conkey on 01-12-2018 10:55 AM:

Richard you are correct. In the old day there was also another antibiotic called Tetracycline that was a black/yellow capsule. I got a whole big bottle because they were fixing to run out of date. I had that for a couple years and me and the dogs never felt better. First signs of a cut or wound on the dog and he got some. First sign of sore throat or sinus problem and I got some.

Posted by bearhunter747 on 01-12-2018 11:27 AM:

Try LA200 at Tractor supply you get big bottle for bout 35$ give 3/4 of cc 2x day for 3 days it does wonders for dogs

Posted by Richard Lambert on 01-12-2018 01:24 PM:

I forgot about tetracycline. I wonder why they don't have or use it anymore? I just "googled" it. Apparantly LA 200 is tetracycline. A lot of germs have developed a resistance to it so it is not used much anymore. Not many guys have a wife or kids that will let them give them a shot.

Posted by indiana1 on 01-13-2018 05:28 AM:

I got prescribed doxy today . Kind of laughed , I figured I am going to get the thyroid checked and I should be good to go. Seems to be the cure all on this board.

(Uchtman’s blue Amos x Uchtman’s blue Magic)
NITECH Lynch’s LIL BLU MAC (Walston’s Big Country x Hatcreek Kate 2)

Posted by Richard Lambert on 01-13-2018 02:00 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by indiana1
Seems to be the cure all on this board.

It is a lot easier to just give them a pill than it is to take them hunting every night.

Posted by indiana1 on 01-13-2018 05:38 PM:

Richard I don’t think the pills are working I’ve looked up three trees today and they were empty. 😂

(Uchtman’s blue Amos x Uchtman’s blue Magic)
NITECH Lynch’s LIL BLU MAC (Walston’s Big Country x Hatcreek Kate 2)

Posted by Richard Lambert on 01-13-2018 05:46 PM:

Maybe you are just "frustrated".