UKC Forums Pages (6): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Show all 132 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- Blueticks (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=48)
-- Monkey Face Bluetick History (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=89119)

Posted by John Vaught on 03-27-2006 08:08 PM:

Monkey Face Bluetick History

When actually did this trait begin and what line was it first known to be in ? I know Mr. Vaughn had a few hounds that had this triait but where did it come to be so popular as it is now ? Popular meaning more of it.

Posted by womancoonhunter on 03-27-2006 08:22 PM:

monkey face

What exactly is monkey faced?

Posted by no show on 03-27-2006 08:39 PM:

Re: Monkey Face Bluetick History

quote:
Originally posted by John Vaught
When actually did this trait begin and what line was it first known to be in ? I know Mr. Vaughn had a few hounds that had this triait but where did it come to be so popular as it is now ? Popular meaning more of it.
I cant tell you where it actually began. If you'll look in your old blue book (20 + yrs. and back) you will see alot more of it. I think you know why its showing up more so now then recently, one word.........Bullet. Bullet threw some monkey faces. Some didnt like this, some did and some could care less (like me). I just honestlly cant understand those people who lived within a 1/2 days drive from Bullet wouldnt breed to him because they might get a monkey faced dog. Rather they will admit it now or not, I know deep down your bangin your stupid little head up against the wall. LoL....................REST IN PEACE CHAMP !!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Hardup Kennels on 03-27-2006 09:21 PM:

CH Hardup's Dark Blue Sky.

Posted by Hardup Kennels on 03-27-2006 09:23 PM:

Monkey faced. Bullet bred. Sire Dual Grand Appels Blue Oak Bullet.

Posted by womancoonhunter on 03-27-2006 09:39 PM:

monkey faced...

Is my new dog monkey faced?

http://www.hunt101.com/img/390211.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/img/390257.jpg

If she is then I like the monkey faced dogs. And Sky is a beautiful dog also!

Posted by Hardup Kennels on 03-27-2006 09:41 PM:

Yes, Molly is monkey faced.

And thanks for the compliment on Sky.

Posted by wkfii on 03-27-2006 09:56 PM:

That is the St. Hubert blood showing up. It's either from recent crosses with Bloodhound, Red Bones, or Black and Tans or its from the crosses that took place in Europe ages ago. There are some Gascon hounds that don't have any tan, but the majority have at least the St. Hubert flakes on their eyes.

Posted by John Vaught on 03-27-2006 09:59 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Hardup Kennels

Monkey faced. Bullet bred. Sire Dual Grand Appels Blue Oak Bullet.

GOOD LOOKING HOUND HARDUP KENNEL GOOD TREE STYLE

Posted by John Vaught on 03-27-2006 10:01 PM:

Re: Re: Monkey Face Bluetick History

quote:
Originally posted by no show
I cant tell you where it actually began. If you'll look in your old blue book (20 + yrs. and back) you will see alot more of it. I think you know why its showing up more so now then recently, one word.........Bullet. Bullet threw some monkey faces. Some didnt like this, some did and some could care less (like me). I just honestlly cant understand those people who lived within a 1/2 days drive from Bullet wouldnt breed to him because they might get a monkey faced dog. Rather they will admit it now or not, I know deep down your bangin your stupid little head up against the wall. LoL....................REST IN PEACE CHAMP !!!!!!!!!!!
Well Tom you know how things are within this breed I have seen Bullet close up he no douibt was a fine looking hound in all ways to be honest with you there are not many that have the looks of Bullet and none that looked any better

Posted by John Vaught on 03-27-2006 10:04 PM:

Re: Re: Re: Monkey Face Bluetick History

[QUOTE]Originally posted by John Vaught
[B]Well Tom you know how things are within this breed I have seen Bullet close up he no douibt was a fine looking hound in all ways to be honest with you there are not many that have the looks of Bullet and none that looked any better. Some people said it came from Spanky but I have never believed that his looks proves way beyond anything Spanky ever throwed. I use to see pop bottle nosed dog out of Spanky at the Bluetick meets .............could they be breed out of them now ????????.........LOL LOL LOL

Posted by no show on 03-27-2006 10:28 PM:

John

I think he may have took after his mother in looks but she took after her mother also (robs crazy) allthough you could say she hunted like some of the spanky dogs. Chief was a good lookin hound in his younger yrs.

Posted by DRP on 03-27-2006 10:51 PM:

quotes from some past posts on the topic:

Bullet II wrote:
Bullet got his monkey face from his mother, but he could have gotten it from either side. His Grandad on the top side (Dryfork Spud) was monkey faced. But Bullet looked just like his mother (Fly). Fly's mother (Crazy) was also monkey face. So really it goes way back on both sides. I posted pictures of Fly and Crazy on here, so you can look at them and tell.

Craig Edwards wrote:
If you will go back and look at the foundational hounds the early breeders used, including Elbert Vaughn, you will find that many of those dogs were monkey faced. As a matter of fact, some of the old hounds looked like red ticks. Vaughn's Bawler, Vaughn's Lula, Hills Blue Rock, Ellyson's Tige, Braggs Bill the Barber, (to name just a few) were all monkey faced. It is a throw back of some of the foundational breeding stock. If you go back far enough, you would find monkey face blues in every strain. It may not be a favorite color, but it shows just how dominant the old genes really are.

Posted by Mark V. on 03-27-2006 11:25 PM:

My PETE dog is the spittin image of old BULLET and I think I have only had 1 Monkey faced pup(and I for sure kept that one). I just can't see how a monkey face would keep some one from breeding to a hound???

Posted by texhog on 03-27-2006 11:48 PM:

Monkey Faced dogs were all but "extinct" untill Bullet came along. I know there are others, but none being bred like Bullet was. Anyway Vaughn did have several Monkey faced hounds in the past but was trying to breed it out, he said it was the redtick trying to get out.

Posted by John Vaught on 03-28-2006 02:45 AM:

BTT

After reading several of the replies it makes me wonder if Bullett's littter mate brothers and sisters were monkey faced. Let it be known that I am not making any fun of a monkey face dog especially Bullet as I said before none looked any better than him. In a litter of 10 puppies that Bullet sired how many averaged being monkey faced and did he dominate the looks of the puppies no matter how the female was bred ??

Posted by tony foley on 03-28-2006 03:06 AM:

John, the cross was made twice between chief and fly. Every sibling was either monkey faced or well on its way that i ever seen. Bullet threw the monkey face as a dominant trait, there are some out there that do not carry it but percentage wise the monkey face outweighs the black heads hands down. In my opinion he definetly dominately reproduced this trait.

This is no doubt a recessive gene that really clicked with the mating of chief and fly . You can go back and look at some of our historical dogs and they all resemble one another, Aaron Petershiem said Bullet was just a little smaller version of Spud as far as looks, i always thought Bullet looked like the spitting image of Ellysons Tige.

Just a little side note that has nothing to do with being monkey faced; Fly had troubles raising this litter and Bullet was way behind the rest as a newborn puppy, Joan bottle fed Bullet until he was to weaning age.

Posted by John Vaught on 03-28-2006 01:30 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by tony foley
John, the cross was made twice between chief and fly. Every sibling was either monkey faced or well on its way that i ever seen. Bullet threw the monkey face as a dominant trait, there are some out there that do not carry it but percentage wise the monkey face outweighs the black heads hands down. In my opinion he definetly dominately reproduced this trait.

This is no doubt a recessive gene that really clicked with the mating of chief and fly . You can go back and look at some of our historical dogs and they all resemble one another, Aaron Petershiem said Bullet was just a little smaller version of Spud as far as looks, i always thought Bullet looked like the spitting image of Ellysons Tige.

Just a little side note that has nothing to do with being monkey faced; Fly had troubles raising this litter and Bullet was way behind the rest as a newborn puppy, Joan bottle fed Bullet until he was to weaning age.

Thanks for the info Tony. Keep me in mind on that next started young hound you might have for sale out of Rattler

Posted by John Vaught on 03-28-2006 06:37 PM:

BTT

quote:
Originally posted by John Vaught
Thanks for the info Tony. Keep me in mind on that next started young hound you might have for sale out of Rattler
BTT

Posted by Craig Harris on 03-28-2006 10:00 PM:

soory to burst your guys bubble but I was at dave deans about 6 7 yrs ago ,how ever old tonys sable dog is and there was some red headed and monkey faced dogs up there so even in the hammer dogs it has been seen in the past few yrs ,seenone also out of northern blue levi

Posted by Mark V. on 03-28-2006 10:58 PM:

Tony I am not much on buying male dogs but wasn'tDanny P. looking for one. We sure got a nice one in the female we got off Phil Davis She should have 3 wins but Doug had a slip on the last tree in Ohio that cost him the high scoring NT.CH. and the week befor that I had 425+ and the master of hould let a guy turn his card in atleast2 after the dead line so I missed that one but got one last week. She doesn't walk on water but we like her.

Posted by CountryMile on 03-28-2006 11:01 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Craig Harris
soory to burst your guys bubble but I was at dave deans about 6 7 yrs ago ,how ever old tonys sable dog is and there was some red headed and monkey faced dogs up there so even in the hammer dogs it has been seen in the past few yrs ,seenone also out of northern blue levi

Yep I agree Craig, The Rebel dog was monkey faced,he was from Spanky. My Rebel dog is red headed being from the above Rebel. My Rebel dog threw a couple monkey faced dogs (not red headed). He threw one monkey faced male that was the spitting image of Dryfork Blue Spud just smaller. These dogs all show Spanky and Hammer II and Hammer III very close up and concentrated. With that all being said I think it must still come from the Vaughn line. Seems to me Bryants Blue Slammer was monkey faced also. Dave

Posted by John Vaught on 03-29-2006 12:06 AM:

WHAT EVER IS IN BULLET

Is the most dominating of the monkey face dogs and they are good looking hounds out of bullet that weren't monkey face. I haven't seen it in the hammer dogs as much as the S.R. line/Bullet dogs . I am not for sure were it comes from but do not believe it comes from Spanky however I would agree the red heads come from Spanky and on back to Northern Blue Sadie whom did not have a lot of Bluetick look to her. I have to think the monkey face on Bullet came from the S.R. line a total different look than any Hammer red headed dogs.

Posted by RRbluehound on 03-29-2006 12:11 AM:

lets look at the common denominator, who do these hounds all go back too

Posted by Blue Style on 03-29-2006 12:43 AM:

Youre right

RR, they all go back to Vaughns Curley, Bawler, etc....quite a few of our foundation hounds were monkey faced...