UKC Forums
Show all 12 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Beagles (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=3)
-- beagle bloodlines (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=271515)

Posted by blue 101 on 04-19-2009 12:28 PM:

beagle bloodlines

H'i I was just wondering if any one on here could tell me. what a good stong beagle bloodline is. one that go's way back. or some tips on a good website. or magazine that would tell me what i need to know. I have allways liked beagle's and now I'm finly going to get some. but I want the good bloodline. so if any one can help me out that would great. thank you

Posted by hallmountainman on 04-19-2009 01:46 PM:

I prefer the Branko & Northway bloodlines, just because they produce some fine blueticks. We are a bluetick kennel, so we have limited bloodlines to choose from. Branko & Northway beagles were originally hare hounds, but were brought into the U.S. to increase the speed in the beagles. Hope this information was helpful, Hunter Hall.
P.S.- If you Google Branko's beagles, there will be plenty of kennel names that pop up, including the Branko's kennel website. The same thing goes for Northway, except there is no Northway kennels website.

http://hallmountainrabbitbeagles.weebly.com/

Posted by Jeremy Mapes on 04-19-2009 04:37 PM:

Branko's line goes back to the 70's. If you want to run UKC hunts, I would recommend Branko or some kind of hare hound breeding, crossed over the White River line.

DCK Rolling Red Rock
DCK Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup
Beagles- (RIP) FC Buckeyes Big John
HBCH PCH Dry Creek Stroke Of Genius
DCK Bounty Hunter
DCK Queen Of The Cage (Rousey)

Posted by wvduece on 04-19-2009 08:07 PM:

there are many different bloodlines its according to what kind ya want do you plan on trialing or hunting or both there are different types of trials ya really need to know what kind of dog you want before you decide on a certail bloodline go to some different types of trials if you plan on trialing your beagle then decide the type of dog that will please you its kinda hard to tell ya what bloodline is the best till you know what you are going to do with the dog if its strictly for hunting you dont need no wind splitters that pushes the rabbit you only see a blur when it comes out of the brush

Posted by williamW on 04-20-2009 12:55 AM:

re

I agree with the branko/northway. We also have a great male Northway Bred (also a blue dog) and also many others. I have the peds all the way back to the 50's on most of them, back to some blue cap stuff on others. I am a firm follower of this blood.

Most of what I raise now came from Dexter Reffett in Ky. He has raised these hounds for 30 years... same blood... same line the whole time. He raised the Buzzsaw dog of lynn's (world champion) and lord knows how many other champs.. and just all around rabbit dogs. Now for the most part we raise our own and continue the same blood. I seek the man's opinion on some crosses.

If you choose to go with registered stock (akc) then check breeders before you buy. Just like I said Northway and Branko... but those are back in pedigree's, most of it now are hounds that have been bred down from those grand hounds of the past. Right now I have a male in my kennel that carries the northway name, direct out of Northway Slim Jim. He is the only pure Northway here at my house.

People talk all about the backyard super dogs.. and all that is well and good, but unless you have raised your grade hounds for many generations then you are throwing some darts on the breeding program, you don't know the traits (health and otherwise) that could be getting passed along. This does not at all lean to the fact that breeding paper to paper makes hounds, but it guides you when you are breeding good hound to good hound, and you know what their parents were and theirs ect. I have spoken to Paul in Ny about Northway hounds of the past, Krypan Branko on his hounds... find out what was flash and what was just word of mouth.

Choose what you want, hunt several out of a line and see what you think. Some of these long lines have been around so long for one reason.... it works.... they produce hounds.. and produce traits that that owner wants.

Just my thoughts...

Bill Woods

Posted by Newexhibitor on 04-20-2009 01:16 AM:

indian Hills

you might want to do a search of some of the old Indian Hills kennels in Kentucky. it was started back about 1975 or so by mr. R.B. Sester. many many field champions have come from that line. mr. sester is still breeding altho he has slowed down, at seventy years old, on the trialing.

Ch. Dee's Lil Diamond Jewel Theif (Pretty Tail)
Ch. Dee's Lil' Midnight Lace
(Lacy a/k/a Chicken)

Posted by Elliott Peters on 04-27-2010 10:34 PM:

Re: re

quote:
Originally posted by williamW
Most of what I raise now came from Dexter Reffett in Ky. He has raised these hounds for 30 years... same blood... same line the whole time. He raised the Buzzsaw dog of lynn's (world champion)

Bill Woods

I know this is an old post but I don't think Dexter raised Buzz or was even the breeder on him. I think a guy by the name of Delmer Thornsbery was the breeder. It's Dexters Cousin I think. Dexter did have Buzz in his starting pen when Lynn went and baught him at around 8-9 months though. Can't argue Dexter did have some influance on the breeding behind Buzzsaw though.

Posted by eugene kares on 04-27-2010 11:29 PM:

IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR GOOD SPEED,CHECK WORK,LINE CONTROL.HAUNTED HILL SHAKER IS A IFC IN AKC.IT GOES WAY AND BRANKO IS A GOOD LINE ASLO I HAVE BOTH.AND ALSO I HAVE SOME OGEMAW BLOOD IN MY DOGS.ALL ARE EXCELLENT BLOODLINES GREAT HUNT AND THEY HUNT REALLY HARD.HOPES THIS HELPS YOU OUT.IF YOU WANT TO KNOW MORE JUST PM ME.AND I WILL HELP YOU OUT.

Posted by Blue Ridge Mtn on 04-28-2010 04:19 AM:

We have mostly Branko some Northway and one dog that goes back to Primetime/Buddys Iron Eagle. In our opinion these are the BEST bloodlines. As far as Mags you can get the American Beagler or Better Beagling.

You can check out our website at
www.blueridgemtnkennels.weebly.com

We have a GRHBCH and HBCH that are Branko our Primetime female is also a HBCH and 2 other Branko females that need a 1st place to be HBCH in UKC.

Home of :
CH GRHBCH Big D's Hurricane Big Bad John 2010 Black Gold Race Pts winner and 2010 State Run-Off Winner
GRCH GRHBCH Blue Ridge's Hurricane Rocket 2009 Jr State Run-Off Champion 2014 4th place in East Coast Eliminator
CH HBCH Blue Ridge's Pretty Lil Pebbles
HBCH Branko's Deep South Allie

Posted by TR Beagles on 04-28-2010 02:02 PM:

What is the best bloodline?

As we all know there are many different bloodlines in the beagling world and a few can trace lineages back for decades. With that being said, there are Good AND Bad in all bloodlines, but the most important thing to do when selecting yourself a rabbit dog you must ask yourself what style of dog do you want. Just like abunch of the gentle men said, Northway and Branko are two fine bloodlines that usually throw an upper medium speed dog with above average hunt and the northway are usually tight mouth and so are some of the branko but with some of the newer breeding you need to watch out for looser mouthed dogs. And the REFFET's bloodline that was mentioned also goes back to Northway hounds. Then indian hills bloodline such as Indian hils Major or Indian Hills Trapper also threw some fine hounds that are leggy with usually gud foot speed, but some tend to be a bit rattle headed, but still all around a good bloodline. ALSO other bloodlines that are good for UKC format are Ranger Dan, Dingus Macre, Round Pond Mr. T, Mark V Ace in the Hole,and Haunted Hill Shaker are just a few more of the bloodlines that one might consider when looking for a prestigous AKC bred hound. But also you might try looking at a UKC bloodline that has come to the scene in the last ten to fifteen years and that is the White River bloodline with dogs such as Tuff E' Nuff, Big Jake, Cane, Striker, and more. Its a big decision when purchasing a rabbit dog so take your time and review all your options.

Let's hit the field and let the fun begin

Posted by mitch gould on 04-28-2010 03:35 PM:

my advice is go watch some dogs run call around and see what u like.

click on link to visit our website
Heat- Em- Up Kennels

Posted by CSG on 04-28-2010 08:13 PM:

JUST REMEMBER 1 THING

IF IT DONT FEED YA WHY DO YA WANA FEED IT-----DONT GET ME WRONG THERE IS A HUGE DIFFERENCE INBETWEEN FIELD TRIAL DOGS AND GUN DOGS I PREFER BOTH IN ONE!!!!!THINK THAT EIGHTY FIVE PERCENT OF US DO-----SEEN GOOD FIELD TRIAL DOGS THAT IT WOULD BE HARD TO SOLO AND GET TABLE-FAIR WITH!!!!SO A LIL SUMPIN TO RUN THREW UR BEANER GOOD LUCK------GOOD BLOOD-LINES THERES A TON OF EM