UKC Forums Pages (2): [1] 2 »
Show all 40 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- night hunts (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=406125)

Posted by Coonhunter82828 on 02-08-2011 10:13 PM:

night hunts

ive just been a pleasure coon hunter, but recently have been going to the comp. hunts... im not really impressed on what im seeing. all im seeing is slick trees and possums.. you would think if a man was going to put a dog in one of these hunts they would be a finished well broke hound but all im seeing is trash.

PR Britton's Tree Choppin Chey
PR Britton's Powerstroke Diesel
304-545-1668 - Andrew Britton
http://brittonsmidnighthavockennels.yolasite.com/
Walkers and Black & Tans

Posted by CLJohnson on 02-08-2011 10:15 PM:

Can't do that, if that were the case the attendance at the hunts would drop drastically.

Middle Creek Kennels:

Home of:

-GRNITECH Ball's Stylish Hickory Nut Harry
GRCH GRNITECH PR' Crow and Grant's Cutter
-GRCH GRNITECH PR' Night Heat Abby

NITECH PR' Middle Creek's Stylish Kate (1st place 2011 UKC Youth National open hunt and overall high scoring treeing walker female. 1st Place Plott Sectional and overall high scoring dog. Qualified for the 2012 UKC World Championship. Qualified for the 2012 Youth Nationals.)

-NITECH PR' MC Queen & Fergys Wipeout Zack
'PR' Wipeout Pebbles
-NTECH PR' Packrat

-GRNITECH ‘PR’ Hard Knockin Stylish Hayes
GRNITECH ‘PR’ Ball’s Stylish Hickory Nut Harry
-GRNITECH ‘PR’ Schmersal’s Stylish Anna

NITECH ‘PR’ Middle Creek’s Stylish Banjo

-GRNITECH ‘PR’ Turpin’s Insane Cain
NITECH ‘PR’ Johnson’s Extreme Jane
-GRNITECH ‘PR’ Treesinging Rambling Roxy

Posted by Coonhunter82828 on 02-08-2011 10:17 PM:

lol i no thats the truth!! haha

Walkers and Black & Tans

Posted by deschmidt27 on 02-08-2011 10:23 PM:

I think you're right, and I'm betting there was a time when folks competed what they thought could win. Now it seems like it's just something to do on the weekend, and they'll take anything.

Posted by Coonhunter82828 on 02-08-2011 10:29 PM:

yea thats pretty bad.

Walkers and Black & Tans

Posted by Jammer2122 on 02-12-2011 04:08 PM:

If

all your drawing out with is junk then you must have a kennel full of NT champs and a few Grands....

Posted by GA DAWG on 02-12-2011 04:29 PM:

I see mostly junk in reg and ntch. That or I see lots having their one BAD night. As long as they make the owner happy. So be it.

Posted by Jason Baldwin on 02-12-2011 05:33 PM:

A lot of young people are in the process of trying to figure out what a coondog is and what they like in a dog. Thats kinda how I was. I entered a few hunts. LOL

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John3:16

Posted by JiM on 02-12-2011 05:42 PM:

If you are honest with yourself, the dog work you see in the hunts is the same dog work you will see pleasure hunting 3 or 4 dogs together. It don't take much of a dog to look good alone.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Posted by Hoosier Man1 on 02-12-2011 05:54 PM:

I have often asked myself the question why when I draw some of the dogs I have in UKC. I came to a simple conclusion that many many hunters don't know what a good dog is. It only took me about 3 hunts to figure out what I had was not good and I went and got me something started that I trained hard. I can honestly say over the 40 UKC hunts I went to last year I only seen a dog tree off game a few times. In 7 years of hard competition hunting I have been scrtached 1 time for off game. I guess its all about who you hunt with threw the week, meaning if you hunt with junk or allow you're dog to mess with junk then you had better expect it on the weekends. Hunts are the fastedt way to ruin a young good dog! That's why I hunt my dogs alone always that way they can think of they're own heads.

Posted by John D on 02-12-2011 05:56 PM:

Re: night hunts

quote:
Originally posted by Coonhunter82828
all im seeing is slick trees and possums.. .

I know what you mean. But, honestly, your dog is right in on the slicks and possums, isn't he? No offense, I bet if your dog was treeing coons while they were treeing possums, you'd be telling us how easy this comp. thing is and the wins you've racked up. Don't feel bad, most dogs that look like coondogs at home will look like something less when hauled a ways and thrown out with the typical dogs you draw in nite hunts. Thats why guys that don't do some comp. hunting really just don't know what a 21st century coondog should do.

If you have one that still looks like a coondog in the presence of slick and possum tree'ers, then you really have something. THAT, is the challenge of comp. hunting, imo.

The pressure is so great to get dogs titled at a young age that nobody waits til they have a top dog before they start putting it in the hunts. I'm as guilty of that as anyone. I always told people if I wait til I have a dog ready, I'd never be able to enter a hunt, lol. They can always be more ready.

Click here to visit The B&T Coonhunters Message Forum for news, views, open discussion, ads, and event winners in the B&T Breed (Registration, with your full name, required)

Click here to see my Dog List

Posted by starghost on 02-12-2011 06:00 PM:

havent hunted a nite hunt in almost 15 years but used to be some pretty tough hounds went to the hunts back then sure somewhere there still are good dogs winning legit..

Posted by josh on 02-12-2011 06:01 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by JiM
If you are honest with yourself, the dog work you see in the hunts is the same dog work you will see pleasure hunting 3 or 4 dogs together. It don't take much of a dog to look good alone.

Yea, The first cast I ever spectated on was a NTch cast, 2 of the 4 dogs minused out on the first drop...I went home thinking i would clean up at these hunts.

I found out a dog looks a lot better hunting alone at home than it does in a cast.

Posted by Coonhunter82828 on 02-12-2011 06:01 PM:

Re: Re: night hunts

quote:
Originally posted by John D
I know what you mean. But, honestly, your dog is right in on the slicks and possums, isn't he? No offense, I bet if your dog was treeing coons while they were treeing possums, you'd be telling us how easy this comp. thing is and the wins you've racked up. Don't feel bad, most dogs that look like coondogs at home will look like something less when hauled a ways and thrown out with the typical dogs you draw in nite hunts. Thats why guys that don't do some comp. hunting really just don't know what a 21st century coondog should do.

If you have one that still looks like a coondog in the presence of slick and possum tree'ers, then you really have something. THAT, is the challenge of comp. hunting, imo.

The pressure is so great to get dogs titled at a young age that nobody waits til they have a top dog before they start putting it in the hunts. I'm as guilty of that as anyone. I always told people if I wait til I have a dog ready, I'd never be able to enter a hunt, lol. They can always be more ready.

no I have not had any of my hounds in these hunts. I have just been spectating. I don't want to ruin my good coon dog by putting him in these hunts to hunt her with a bunch of trash.

Walkers and Black & Tans

Posted by Steve Raleigh on 02-12-2011 07:00 PM:

Re: Re: Re: night hunts

quote:
no I have not had any of my hounds in these hunts. I have just been spectating. I don't want to ruin my good coon dog by putting him in these hunts to hunt her with a bunch of trash.

If you have a "coon dog", other dogs that you think is trash should not "ruin" your "good coon dog"

PKC GCH CHKC CH Wipeout 3 Bee
(Z3 x Bell)

PKC CH CHKC CH Rush Run Lil
(Nuck x Lilly)

PKC SCH CHKC CH Wipeout Shorty

Past Home of:

2012 FALL SENIOR SS CH.
GRNITECH PKC PLATINUM CH
MISTER OVERDRIVE
(Drive X Missy)

GRNITECH PKC GOLD CH Kate
(Jack X Jill)

2013 IL PKC State Race Ch.
GRNITECH PKC GOLD CH Little Miss Dottie
(Mr.Jack X Bit)

GRNITECH Curlee Jane
2018 UKC Bluetick World Ch
2018 Fall Round Up Ch
2018 Winter Classic Ch
2017 Battle of The Breeds Ch

NITECH 2018 PKC YOUTH WORLD CH PKC SILVER CH Dirty South Side

GRNITECH PKC SILVER CH SKUNA RIVER QUICK
(Fred X Sue)

GRNITECH Stylish Chase
(Clyde X Patty)

GRNITECH PKC SILVER CH Foggy Mtn. Gomer

UKC GrSqCh NKC GrSqCh Dirt Dodge's Jager

Posted by Maniac on 02-12-2011 07:07 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Hoosier Man1
I have often asked myself the question why when I draw some of the dogs I have in UKC. I came to a simple conclusion that many many hunters don't know what a good dog is. It only took me about 3 hunts to figure out what I had was not good and I went and got me something started that I trained hard. I can honestly say over the 40 UKC hunts I went to last year I only seen a dog tree off game a few times. In 7 years of hard competition hunting I have been scrtached 1 time for off game. I guess its all about who you hunt with threw the week, meaning if you hunt with junk or allow you're dog to mess with junk then you had better expect it on the weekends. Hunts are the fastedt way to ruin a young good dog! That's why I hunt my dogs alone always that way they can think of they're own heads.
VERY GOOD POST

http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy24/maniacjr4/SAM_0522.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/1619.jpg

IF YOU WANT TO PACK HUNT
BUY YOU A PAIR BEAGLES!

GR NITE CH. HARWOODMANIAC JR 4 # 2 TOP 100 UKC WORLD 2013 OWNER JAY HYDE & DAVID DEPEW

GRNITE CH Hoghill Harwood Kasper
owners Hyde Warlick Leatherman
Qualified for 2013 world Hhunt
OWNER HYDE & WARLICK LEATHERMAN. MY PH 574 306 8438
K-LIGHTS ph.936 767 4965
http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy24/maniacjr4/SAM_0734.jpg

Posted by Maniac on 02-12-2011 07:08 PM:

Re: Re: Re: Re: night hunts

quote:
Originally posted by Steve Raleigh
If you have a "coon dog", other dogs that you think is trash should not "ruin" your "good coon dog"
ANOTHER GOOD POST. WHY IS IT U SEE IT IN MOSTLY UKC HUNT'S?

http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy24/maniacjr4/SAM_0522.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/1619.jpg

IF YOU WANT TO PACK HUNT
BUY YOU A PAIR BEAGLES!

GR NITE CH. HARWOODMANIAC JR 4 # 2 TOP 100 UKC WORLD 2013 OWNER JAY HYDE & DAVID DEPEW

GRNITE CH Hoghill Harwood Kasper
owners Hyde Warlick Leatherman
Qualified for 2013 world Hhunt
OWNER HYDE & WARLICK LEATHERMAN. MY PH 574 306 8438
K-LIGHTS ph.936 767 4965
http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy24/maniacjr4/SAM_0734.jpg

Posted by d1here on 02-12-2011 07:40 PM:

Re: Re: Re: Re: night hunts

quote:
Originally posted by Steve Raleigh

I agree

if you have a "REAL COON DOG" as you claim, go put you dog in the hunt.it really want matter what my TRASHY DOG is doing right?

your REAL COONDOG will go tree a coon no matter what my "TRASHY DOG" is doing

had friend with a grand champion blue tick that would run the hair off a deer.....he won many casts and hunts with circle points when other dogs would pull a bark and thier handlers would say "JUDGE THAT DOG MUST BE RUNNING OFF GAME" he would no shes not lets go see.......if you got close she would fall treed

not saying its right or wrong but things like this happen all the time

Romans 14:11

Posted by Coonhunter82828 on 02-12-2011 08:17 PM:

I got good coon dog you guys don't have to worry about that. But what's the point in hunting her with trash? To prove she is better than trash? That alot to brag about "Ohh yea I won a UKC night hunt I got me a night champion, I just beat a bunch of trash" lol yea lots to brag about there.

Walkers and Black & Tans

Posted by Coonhunter82828 on 02-12-2011 08:26 PM:

My brother does alot of comp Huntin. He has a Grand night champion out of TRACKMAN. He will tell you any day that Maggie (my coon dog) will put it to that dog any night in the woods..and will do it in style.

Walkers and Black & Tans

Posted by d1here on 02-12-2011 09:51 PM:

quote:
My brother does alot of comp Huntin. He has a Grand night champion out of TRACKMAN. He will tell you any day that Maggie (my coon dog) will put it to that dog any night in the woods..and will do it in style.

in the part of the country Im from we have a saying

"PUT UP OR SHUT UP"

meaning prove yourself(dog) or keep your mouth shut and go on about your business

just wondering what you gonna do?

Romans 14:11

Posted by Coonhunter82828 on 02-12-2011 10:03 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by d1here
in the part of the country Im from we have a saying

"PUT UP OR SHUT UP"

meaning prove yourself(dog) or keep your mouth shut and go on about your business

just wondering what you gonna do?

She is proven but not in night hunts. She is HTX champion level 2. So I think I "PUT UP" and I think ur "SHUTTIN UP" LOL

Walkers and Black & Tans

Posted by CSnowgren on 02-12-2011 10:18 PM:

With the help of a 15 month old pup and a 4 yr. old female, we bagged about 200 coon this year, give or take a few. But, I am sure she is no coondog because I don't play the nite hunt game. Coondogs were around long before the nite hunt game and they will be around long after. The nite hunts are only as enjoyable as what the participants perceive them to be. If you go thinking that it is an absolute fool proof way of recognizing the best dog.....you will be disappointed. If you go with the idea that it is a game, nothing more and nothing less, and there are a ton of variables in playing the game, thats what you'll get. Make no mistake, it is a game and not a sport, no sport in the world allows a judge to be one of the participants, only games do that. Have fun in whatever you choose to do though as that is really what counts.

Posted by Coonhunter82828 on 02-12-2011 10:22 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by CSnowgren
With the help of a 15 month old pup and a 4 yr. old female, we bagged about 200 coon this year, give or take a few. But, I am sure she is no coondog because I don't play the nite hunt game. Coondogs were around long before the nite hunt game and they will be around long after. The nite hunts are only as enjoyable as what the participants perceive them to be. If you go thinking that it is an absolute fool proof way of recognizing the best dog.....you will be disappointed. If you go with the idea that it is a game, nothing more and nothing less, and there are a ton of variables in playing the game, thats what you'll get. Make no mistake, it is a game and not a sport, no sport in the world allows a judge to be one of the participants, only games do that. Have fun in whatever you choose to do though as that is really what counts.
EXACTLY RIGHT!!!

Walkers and Black & Tans

Posted by T Felderman on 02-12-2011 10:22 PM:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: night hunts

quote:
Originally posted by Maniac
ANOTHER GOOD POST. WHY IS IT U SEE IT IN MOSTLY UKC HUNT'S?

Because on your average ukc hunt the better dogs are granded out already.

If the other 2 registries would have "classes" of dogs you would see the same thing.